Question about the cat eyes

+
Question about the cat eyes

From what I remember not all Witchers have the cat eyes right? Only the ones who underwent the advanced trials and lived. I think of these Witchers as elite Witchers, like the Rangers are elite army soldiers, compared to regular army soldiers. Would you guys agree with this?

Well i found this one when i was searching from the wiki about his eyes

"During the prologue, Geralt can speak with Eskel about the trials. Eskel says the third trial involves the mutation of the eyes, among other things, and then says the changes come with a cost, "We're infertile," implying Eskel went through that third stage, too. So he *should* have mutated eyes, too."

If i remember right the first book talks about Ciri being scared of Eskel because of his glowing eyes and his face...

So i think all the witchers that have gone through this mutation they might have these cat like eyes that's why i think "normal" ppl call them freaks mutants etc...

I always thought it would make sense that all Witchers had those eyes, but in the first game, only Geralt did. The rest of the Witchers at Kaer Morhen looked normal. It's possible that Eskel was an elite Witcher like Geralt. I only have "The Last Wish" so I don't know if the books explains any of this or not.

The German translation never mentions cat-like eyes. But the narrator repeatedly states that Geralt can actively widen and contract his pupils so that he can see with very little light or is not blinded when he looks into bright sunlight. I figured all Witcher could do this and CDPR decided to give Geralt cat-eyes because it looked cool.

Hmmmm, as far as i understand the books and games there are no "Elite Witchers". There are Witchers in Training and Witchers (after you passed the Mutations und Magic-Part in the third trail). Until the end of the third trail you are a Witcher in Training. If you survive it, you become a full Witcher. The eyes are a (wanted?) side effect of the Mutagens and the magic Energy. That's how i understand the lore.

Well if you think humans we don't see well in a dark with out any artificial light. When you think about Witchers job not only is it dangerous but often leads in to dark and damp cellars or caves where most of the monsters love to hang out.

Mostly Geralt does hunt the creatures of the night so i would say it is a very good ability to have to see in the dark...

Difilian said:
Hmmmm, as far as i understand the books and games there are no "Elite Witchers". There are Witchers in Training and Witchers (after you passed the Mutations und Magic-Part in the third trail). Until the end of the third trail you are a Witcher in Training. If you survive it, you become a full Witcher.
You're right that there's no group that's called "Elite Witchers." On the other hand, there were some new, experimental mutations that were applied to a group of witchers when Geralt was in training, and Geralt was the only boy to survive those experimental mutations. Since these experimental mutations proved to be so deadly, they weren't applied to any other witchers.

So Geralt does have a little extra oomph that the other witchers don't have; if I remember correctly, it is this additional mutation that makes Geralt the only witcher who had white hair while still young.

Corylea said:
You're right that there's no group that's called "Elite Witchers." On the other hand, there were some new, experimental mutations that were applied to a group of witchers when Geralt was in training, and Geralt was the only boy to survive those experimental mutations. Since these experimental mutations proved to be so deadly, they weren't applied to any other witchers.

So Geralt does have a little extra oomph that the other witchers don't have; if I remember correctly, it is this additional mutation that makes Geralt the only witcher who had white hair while still young.

In the TW1 Prologue, Eskel says that it freaked him out when Geralt's hair turned white. And maybe Eskel was a kid then, but the scars on his face say it takes an awful lot to upset him.

Anyway, there wasn't an army of second-class witchers. Witchers have never been numerous; IIRC, there were only 15 in residence and 40 in training at the time of the Kaer Morhen pogrom. There have been isolated cases where a normal human has trained with the witchers (Ciri), but these are remarkable for their rarity.

Jacques de Aldersberg tried to create an army of witchers, but we all know how that turned out.

i noticed, in regards to the pc version of AoKs, geralts "cats eyes" are alot more prominent then the 360 version, in which you can't even tell.

like the meditation screen, with the moving, blood vessel like background. none of that in the 360 version. just an image of geralts backpack rolled out.

even the character talent screen has cool visual effects, that the 360 version lacks.

any chance they could patch that stuff into the EE for the xbox? it wouldnt be that hard would it?

i realize that modern pc display adapters are way ahead of the headware inside an xbox, but these effects really harken back to the pc version of the original witcher, & seems completely absent from the 360 version.

know what i mean?

Corylea said:

I've always thought that Geralt's hair turning white was just his individual reaction to the mutation process. Could you point out where in the books it is stated that Geralt underwent special mutations the witchers before him had not?
I only read them a couple of weeks ago, but can't recall a statement like this.

SkycladGuardian said:
I've always thought that Geralt's hair turning white was just his individual reaction to the mutation process. Could you point out where in the books it is stated that Geralt underwent special mutations the witchers before him had not?
I only read them a couple of weeks ago, but can't recall a statement like this.

It is stated in "The Last Wish", in the chapter "The Voice of Reason 4". I won't quote because I don't have the books in english, and it's a short chapter if you want to look for it :p

About the cat eyes, in the introduction of the third chapter of Blood of Elves, it is said that the kid who has suffered the mutations wokes up with viper eyes.

Olloki said:
It is stated in "The Last Wish", in the chapter "The Voice of Reason 4". I won't quote because I don't have the books in english, and it's a short chapter if you want to look for it :p

From The Last Wish, first US edition, pp 146 - 147. In this conversation, Geralt is speaking to the silent girl Iola in the garden of the temple of Melitele:

Yes, Kaer Morhen. I underwent the usual mutations there, through the Trial of Grasses, and then hormones, herbs, viral infections. And then through them all again. And again, to the bitter end. Apparently, I took the changes unusually well; I was only ill briefly. I was considered to be an exceptionally resilient brat ... and was chosen for more complicated experiments as a result. They were worse. Much worse. But as you see, I survived. The only one to live out of all those chosen for further trials. My hair's been white ever since. Total loss of pigmentation. A side effect, as they say. A trifle.

Ha, now I remember :D

Regarding the viper eyes: It's funny, because I'm pretty sure that the German translation reads that Geralt contracts his pupils to "tiny black dots", so I've always wondered if he really had cat/viper eyes or if something got lost in translation...

Top Bottom