Question about Witcher: Enhanced Edition Sword Styles

+
I'm a bit confused about the sword styles in the Witcher, because the damage varies for different styles., and there are 2 types of swords, but wouldn't it just make the most sense to use the attack that does the most damage?

For instance, against a monster that is vulnerable to silver, why not still just use the steel sword strong attack that does 130-260 damage, instead of the silver attack that does 60 damage?

Or against a lot of the humans, why not use a silver strong attack that does 60-130 damage, instead of a steel group attack that does 10-35?

I don't really see the advantage of trying to match the sword type with the vulnerability, nor do I see the advantage of the group style or fast styles which do very little damage, instead of the strong styles that do massive damage.

Maybe someone can explain without revealing any spoilers or too much strategy advice, but just some general advice would be appreciated.

Thank you.

Strong style doesn't work against enemies that are quick and nimble, as you'll end up missing far more than hitting.
Group style is good when surrounded; though it doesn't do much damage per enemy it hits multiple enemies, which can be invaluable.

As for silver vs. steel, I've never tried using silver on humans/animals or steel on monsters except if necessary. I've always assumed I would deal far less damage to a monster using a steel sword than I would with a silver sword (vice versa with humans/animals), but never tested that.

This was one of my favorite things about TW1. As Drac was saying, each style is suited to different situations, and you can mix up the styles freely in combat. You can pause the game at any time, switch your style, issue a command to change weapons, click a precise spot you want Geralt to move to, issue a command to drink a potion, cast a sign, etc.

What this means is that the game allows for some pretty intense tactics that will change a crazy situation where you're dying in seconds into a cakewalk. (I think many players disliked it because it "broke up the action", but I've always enjoyed the Baldur's Gate, Dragon Age: Origins style of pausing, issuing orders, then watching the action play out. TW1 is a sort of hybrid take on that system. It does require regular pausing on harder difficulties to take full advantage of the mechanics, but it also requires real-time control and precision to time your clicks and get those criticals.)

1.) I'm being attacked by a bunch of drowners. I'd use group mode and silver. Silver will always cause more damage to monsters or magical creatures. (It sort of burns them chemically, a reaction based on their physical makeup. Sort of like pouring salt on a slug.) However, when I get down to the last 2 drowners, it will go much faster if I switch from group mode to fast mode and focus on each one in turn.

2.) I'm being attacked by 5 or 6 bandits with a big, bruiser-type in proper armor wielding a two-handed axe. Hm. Much more challenging. Group mode is not going to be very effective on them, as the regular bandits are only really vulnerable to fast mode. Their boss will obviously require strong mode. Many hmmm's...
Here are two possible scenarios for handling it:
  • I happen to have a proper poison already applied to my silver sword, which does damage over time. I draw that. Silver is not very useful against the bandits as far as damage goes, but I just want to get the poison working. Into group mode, and I work on getting as many hits in as I can, until I see the poison take effect. I then leap away, Aard their butts, and use the time that buys me to pause, switch to steel, and quickly pop a Blizzard potion and a Swallow potion. Now, I'll switch to fast mode and try to take out each of the regular bandits as fast as I can, timing my blows and going for critical hits. Using Quen, Aard, or Igni strategically can help. It might also be worth it to switch back to silver to poison them again, if it wears off. Once I've cleared the trash, I switch to strong mode and take out their boss.
  • I smoke the area with a bomb, switch to strong mode, and take out 2 or 3 regular bandits while they're blinded. This will work only for the short time they're disoriented. As the smoke wears off, I switch to fast mode and give ground, chipping away at them as they get too close. I alternate targets and get the bunch of them down in health. Then, I pause, pop a Blizzard, switch to group mode, and use the extra speed to take out the whole bunch of smaller bandits at once. Switch to strong mode to take care of their boss.

Either way (and there are plenty of other options) simply charging in and clicking (Diablo-style) is going to wind up with a dead Geralt. Even on the lower difficulties, sometimes. The game rewards tactical play and punishes button-mashing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the answers. I right now am deciding whether to spend my talents on all these sword styles or just on some of them. I think it depends on this question:

If you hit a monster with a silver sword group style, and then hit it with a steel sword strong style, which would cause more damage?

I guess the best thing is for me to experiment, I'll check this forum later and write some of my results perhaps!

I don't know for sure, but I found that with some enemies, group actually did better than quick, in terms of pure damage output. I don't know if that was only against enemies who are actually vulnerable to strong style as well though.

I'm picking up this game again, about 10 years after my first playthrough, and I must admit that after finishing TW3 a couple of times the combat system here takes some getting used to.
Am I correct if I say that in TW1, positioning ad tactics don't really matter? What counts is picking the right style for the situation (strong, fast, group) and timing your mouse clicks to chain one's attack. Positioning doesn't really matter unlike say TW3 where you'd try to flank your enemy if you can while being careful not to be flanked yourself.

Am I correct if I say that in TW1, positioning ad tactics don't really matter?
I'd say the benefit is, perhaps, less immediately noticeable. However, it is possible to manoeuvre around your enemies, avoid becoming surrounded, and dodge, pirouette, or leap out of the way of attacks. Personally, I try to keep my foes in front of me, rather than on all sides.

Sigh. I keep pressing the space bar to dodge. Which of course pauses the game. I blame muscle memory.

Top Bottom