Question about XP gain

+
Question about XP gain

Hello everybody, first of all, apologize my english, it's not my native language.

I'm currently doing King's Gambit, this quest requires level 18 and I'm at level 23 at the moment and the quest is giving me almost 0xp. When I talked to Crach it give me 25xp and when I killed the bears it give me like 20xp or so. I watched a video of this quest on youtube and when you talk to Crach it gives you 500xp and when you kill the bears it gives you 600xp if I remember correctly.

So my question: is the level of your character proportional, in some way, to the amount of xp you get? For example, if you have a green level 15 quest, does it give you more xp if you are at level 12 that if you are lvl 18? Or is the xp amount always the same if the quest is green? If the last is correct, then why I'm getting so low xp at this quest?

I wanna add that I'm very near to getting to level 24 (I need 100xp approximately to get to level 24), so maybe that could be the reason? Regardless, the quest is still green so it would still be odd. Please help.

Thanks in advance!

I'm currently doing King's Gambit, this quest requires level 18 and I'm at level 23 at the moment and the quest is giving me almost 0xp. When I talked to Crach it give me 25xp and when I killed the bears it give me like 20xp or so. I watched a video of this quest on youtube and when you talk to Crach it gives you 500xp and when you kill the bears it gives you 600xp if I remember correctly.

So my question: is the level of your character proportional, in some way, to the amount of xp you get? For example, if you have a green level 15 quest, does it give you more xp if you are at level 12 that if you are lvl 18? Or is the xp amount always the same if the quest is green? If the last is correct, then why I'm getting so low xp at this quest?

I wanna add that I'm very near to getting to level 24 (I need 100xp approximately to get to level 24), so maybe that could be the reason? Regardless, the quest is still green so it would still be odd. Please help.

Thanks in advance!

Some say that green quests always gives you the same amount of xp. Some say that it depends on how you do the quest. I haven't paid it that much attention during my three games. I'll always end up with quite the same levels no matter how I do the quests. This is my third round now and I have been skipping some minor quests (earlier I did everything). It seems that I'm still around same levels at this point of my game, as I have been in my earlier games.

My guess is that your own level determines your amount of xp, but I'm not sure about that. Grey quests always gives you very little xp.

It seems to be that the XP amount is the same for all red and green states of the same quest (though rewards are divided, and often the final reward is only a minor part of the whole) - once you have become overlevelled then the quest reward drops significantly. Some quest types ignore level (monster nests, abandoned sites).

I am not very strict about it, but a general following only the green quests, starting with those soonest to expire gives the fastest increase in levels for completed quests turned in... but you will have lots of grey quests left over even when doing this quite carefully. ... these can be left forever and still give the same reward, so there is little advantage to clearing them early - unless you want their loot or story element (main quests obviously require completion for advancement). Avoiding red quests most of the time results in more quests taken at green, and fewer greyed out, but overall will make minimal difference to final level obtainable. I'd cleared level 38 before even starting HoS content and with the final quest cluster of the main story untouched (Skellige harbour, sunstone, lab & final battle).

The bulk of exploration untouched, and not all contracts or sidequests completed. Final level was around 42, with not much more additional exploration - most of the "non-quest" Skellige islands not visited yet, although there are interesting things to find on some.

Doing it "wrong" wont matter if it is only occasional... but if you consistently burn through red quests, then you may lose a few levels...

Last edited:
Top Bottom