Question: Cooking mod without world

+
Question: Cooking mod without world

So I want to cook mod without world, I usually used Gibbed REDTools, but decided to try REDKit, because REDTools are very limited. But I can't find a way to cook a mod without a world file. So I have a question if my method will work:
1. Create empty world
2. Import all assets that I want to modify
3. Modify everything I need
4. Cook the mod
5. Manually remove world files from mod and cook.hash
I also can't find a way to modify scripts in REDKit.

Can anyone with the experience help me in some chat (skype or smth else)? I'm finding it extremely diffucult to do basically anything in REDKit. Even cooking original game worlds doesn't work - gives shitload of errors. This is one of the most unfriendly piece of software I've ever worked with.

---------- Updated at 02:25 PM ----------

What I'm trying to do:
1. Change some script files (already done, userContentCooker picked up changes and created scripts.dzip)
2. Change some xml files (did that, but can't make userContentCooker pick them up and include into pack0.dzip) - geralt_XXX.xml and def_XXX.xml
3. Add new effect to chests/containers, except for herbs - similar to medalion_detection_fx, but much less flashy. I added it to medalion_base_fx.w2ent, medalion_small_fx.w2ent, chest_glow_fx.w2ent, but just packing those files into mod's pack0.dzip file doesn't work - no containers can play the effect I added. I tried to make a world and add above mentioned w2ent files to it, then cook it and add my other files later - with the same result.
For the first 2 things I can just use Gibbed.RED.Tools which I was always using, but for the third one I can only use REDKit and it just doesn't work.

I really hope REDkit for W3 will be better than this. All I feel after days of trying to make this work is frustration.

This is the error I'm getting:
Error:Found fileless resource 'CMaterialGraph "fx\characters\witcher\medalion\shader_meadalion_selection.w2mg"' (a lot of those)
I also noticed that default medalion fx is now also missing material override effect, so somehow I broke that, even though I didn't touch medalion_detection_fx in either file. What I did is I added new effect border_glow_fx, which only uses fx\characters\witcher\medalion\shader_meadalion_selection.w2mg and no particle effects like medalion_detection_fx.

Last edited:
you don't need to cook xmls.
For example a modified geralt_basic.xml takes effect in
The Witcher 2\CookedPC\abilities, iirc (2 years ago that I tried that out)

Error:Found fileless resource
never heard of that. Very strange.
(What I know from wcc.log is "Error Failed to load resource to be cooked" for example.)

shader_meadalion_selection.w2mg to be found in data\fx\characters\witcher\medalion.
Then there is a blank between "s" and "election".
Maybe that's an issue?

Is there any mod that modifies an effectß

Last edited:
I just need to include xml's with my mod. I already made user content package with Gibbed.RED.Tools, my mod mostly changes gameplay (scripts, xml's), but I need that new animation for containers. If it's not possible via REDKit I will just repack pack0 with Gibbed.RED.Tools, so that package includes everything. It's just better to install mods via UserContent than directly into CookedPC - easier to remove and won't break your game if you forget to backup original files.

About that whitespace - it only shows in post, it seems it's not a whitespace, but some Unicode character. It was not visible in the editor, it was not visible in the log and is only visible in the post. I will try to manually change that. But! I didn't change that line, I just copied the medalion_detection_fx and removed glow and particle effects, only left material override. Strangely even though I didn't touch the medalion_detection_fx it became broken also - after I cooked mod material override effect of medalion_detection_fx disappeared. I know where it is, I double checked that it is there when I saw that error message. It's not the first time I'm getting it, this is why I'm so frustrated with REDkit. I even reinstalled it and got the same results. It's just very poorly tested and very unfriendly toolkit.

Btw, is there any documentation on WCC? I do not want to decompile it just to see what are the arguments of each command. I only found cook2 by looking at how userContentCooker calls it and nothing else.

Last edited:
Hello,

1. Don't be afraid of errors. They don't matter.
2. You want to remove effects from chests or change like this:
3. Do your chests work in editor?
4. You want to change effects for your own mod or whole The Witcher 2?

1. I know, but this is the error that is causing the effect to not properly work, because it's exactly the material graph that is used. Also default medalion effect is broken also after I cook mod with my effect.
2. I want to add a new effect to chests - and auto-enable it when they are full. Right now I'm using medalion_detection_fx, but it's far too bright and interferes with medalion. Something like on your screenshot, exactly.
3. Yes, my effect works fine in editor. (I tested on prologue world chests)
4. I want to add it to all chests in the game. My mod doesn't have it's own world, it only changes the gameplay of the original game, but due to the fact that I need some new effects and I want to change some cutscenes I need redkit.

P.S. They should've at least separated errors from critical errors or called "errors" warnings, because it seems most errors are actually warnings. There are some errors, that I encountered, that stopped wcc from cooking the mod, but most of them are just warnings.

---------- Updated at 07:47 PM ----------

Actually - after I cooked the world with that effect it seems that the whole w2ent file is broken. When I open the effect it shows that material = NULL and I can't select any material graph file. If I manually enter the path - it's removed.

Here - you can see what I mean - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_F6b5_ahIM (when youtube finishes processing)

Last edited:
I have another question also - it seems that you made your own world in REDKit. Did you use custom music? I want to add music file from older version of the game. As far as I understand I need to create FMOD soundbank with that file and then somehow load it into the world. But I haven't found a way yet. Can I do it?

1. Effects.
I know how to modify and add new effects to single assets (I changed wraith's effects and I made noonwraith for our mod) and you know it too, but I don't know how to implement them to whole original game. Sorry. But maybe you should edit original entity template "container_base" (remove the effects). Don't forget to copy original files you editing to another place in your computer (I have the directory for the original files).

2. Music.
We didn't use custom music. I think you can add your own music, but you need FMOD version 4.32.04. We couldn't find it. I know that a guy from our REDkit community tried to get it but FMOD support didn't upload this version for him. I tried to use another version but it didn't work.

1. Well chest_glow_fx.w2ent is actually entity template almost all containers in the game (except for herbs) inherit medalion_detection_fx from (as far as I can tell). That's why I'm changing it. And in the editor it actually applies to all containers, the problem is that after I cook the mod it breaks entity template file. I'll try the other way I have in mind, will tell later if that'd work.
2. So sad. I'll try to find it. But I think someone reverse engineered FSB format, seeing that I found FSB extractor, that I use to extract music from game files, so maybe there is a way to edit newer FSB files to match the old format? I doubt they changed format so much that it's impossible. Maybe only headers need to be changed.
Actually, after a quick googling I found that thread - http://www.fmod.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=15872
Did you ask there?
Edit: actually - http://www.fmod.org/download/fmodex/tool/win/fmoddesigner43204win-installer.exe
Is that it (installer says FMOD Designer 4.32.04)? If it is, I thought it'd harder :D
Is there any guide how to use it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom