Question regarding water(rivers) in REDKIT

+
Question regarding water(rivers) in REDKIT

I'm not sure if this is the correct subforum, but I'll fire away here :p

I have a question regarding the addition of a river in my world...

Is there some sort of shortcut or tool, that will enable me to align all the different meshes on the Y axis?

For example, I am trying to create a river, and as any river there are curves...so the way I handle those is that I add lots of meshes to make it seem like the flow of the water is natural...but I have to do lots of precision work there when I have to align them on the Y axis...

Am I approaching the problem wrongly, or is there some kind of tool, where I can just set the Y axis to, let's say -0.5 and be done with it?

I think even if you are very careful it will be visible for the players where exactly your meshes change if you rotate them slightly. The only advice I can give you on how to create a natural river would be

A) to create your own river mesh or ask someone to do it

B) to enter "river" or "water" in the asset browser and search for rivers. There are already some working rivers in Redkit and you can use them, but of course you can't change where the river makes a turn, etc. (use the filter "CMesh")

There is a way to do such thing, but it may create some bad texture issues.
Put your first water mesh, then place the next one, but when dragging the mesh into the world drag it onto the last mesh, this will place it in the same Y spot as the other one, then you may see some weird texture issues, to fix them you may pull up the mesh a little bit, as little as possible. Let me know if it worked or if you need any more help.

I think even if you are very careful it will be visible for the players where exactly your meshes change if you rotate them slightly. The only advice I can give you on how to create a natural river would be

A) to create your own river mesh or ask someone to do it

B) to enter "river" or "water" in the asset browser and search for rivers. There are already some working rivers in Redkit and you can use them, but of course you can't change where the river makes a turn, etc. (use the filter "CMesh")

I'll search for some river meshes, and try to see if there are any curved ones made, because that's what I'm looking for....

PS: it's weird that RedKit doesn't have any way to manually set the coordinates for different meshes on any axis...

There is a way to do such thing, but it may create some bad texture issues.
Put your first water mesh, then place the next one, but when dragging the mesh into the world drag it onto the last mesh, this will place it in the same Y spot as the other one, then you may see some weird texture issues, to fix them you may pull up the mesh a little bit, as little as possible. Let me know if it worked or if you need any more help.

This is what I tried, but I have junctions, and there the texture issues are pretty obvious from afar...I tried to cheat and hide the texture issues with rocks:p, but that doesn't solve the overall problem:shrug:...I will try some additional fine tuning, but what I really need is the option to set coordinates manually

Maybe there's an option to edit the code/script area of the mesh? Is that possible? I would think that each time I move a mesh around, the actual code of the mesh will be modified and I could set coordinates from there?

But anyways, thanks guys! If I happen to find some way around this, I'll post here \o/

If you want the water to run along a hill (any place where there will be height difference) or something you're gonna have to import a custom mesh. I've been thinking about creating a tutorial for such a thing for some time now.

That's what I was doing...I used flatten to create the path of the river, then I added the meshes....I still have some texture problems where the water meshes are joined...are you referring to this?

I'll search for some curved river meshes, that would be really useful, or maybe I'll try to make a custom one myself...

You could choose meshes like "river_path_creek" or you can use tricks like I did for the following picture. I used a normal water mesh like "water_battlefield_big" and I put "outro_river" above it.

But if Tekoppar shows how to do your own river meshes yourself, this would probably be the best solution since you can create a river they way you imagined it.

If you want the water to run along a hill (any place where there will be height difference) or something you're gonna have to import a custom mesh. I've been thinking about creating a tutorial for such a thing for some time now.

It would be great if you could create this tutorial.

I tried to scale the "water_battlefield_big" as big as my river is, I also rotated the mesh so that the waves move in flow direction. The result is quite ok, the waves are a little to big. And the problem is, the river flows through the hole map so the mesh is also as big and if the river is not the deepest point (I haven't finished creating the world) the mesh will show up on places with the same height.

So I'll use more and smaller meshes and whait for the tutorial.

UPDATE:

View attachment 231
I placed the water mesh without gaps and corrected the river a little bit so I needed less meshes and placed them in the right height. I also rotated them, so the animation of the waves imitate a flow.

View attachment 232

Attachments

• watermesh.jpg
    watermesh.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 56
  • river.jpg
    river.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 50
Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom