Question(s) about getting new swords (rune, meteorite etc.)

+
Question(s) about getting new swords (rune, meteorite etc.)

Hello,

I'm new to the game series and forum. I've been playing the first game a for a while now and I've got a few runes and meteorites but when it comes to forging a sword I've no clue how to actually get a new sword made for my character.

Can ye give me advice with how to go about all this, help is appreciated. :)

You need to visit a blacksmith. The first one available is a dwarven blacksmith just outside the inn at the Outskirts. After that, there'll be some in every place you visit.

With temporary runes, you just go into inventory and drag the rune onto the equipped sword. Just before a battle, as they don't last long.

You need to visit a blacksmith. The first one available is a dwarven blacksmith just outside the inn at the Outskirts. After that, there'll be some in every place you visit.

Cool, I noticed the icon where there's normally wares or poker, how do I actually get one to forge a new sword though? That's the thing that's really confusing me.

With temporary runes, you just go into inventory and drag the rune onto the equipped sword. Just before a battle, as they don't last long.

I figured that was the case there, do they even last for a period of hours?

Hmm I think that you can get some nice pieces of equipment from doing quests and looting stuff from chests and crypts. Actually in this game leveling up and distributing talents seemed more important to me than caring about equipment but perhaps that's just how I feel. If you start doing quests you shall eventually encounter everything you need.

So to actually answer first question, you can buy swords from weapons merchant, I think that first one is in vizima temple quarter near order HQ or you can forge new sword at blacksmith but you need meteorite ores, blue or reds - results vary depending on combination.

And to second answer, I'm not sure about enhancement lengs but usually stocking more oils against specters and stuff or buying more sharpening stones helps pretty well. Also I'm again not completely sure but I think there is a trait than encreases duration of sword enhancements... so like I said, developing your character is the most important thing :p

So to actually answer first question, you can buy swords from weapons merchant, I think that first one is in vizima temple quarter near order HQ or you can forge new sword at blacksmith but you need meteorite ores, blue or reds - results vary depending on combination.

Just to be clear every time I've tried that I've been looking at an empty inventory storefront, do the forgers have swords that can be bought when I have enough meteorites or something?

Hi. It seems I was wrong at one thing. It seems that you are not actually forging new sword at blacksmith but reforging your current one. To reforge your sword you need 3 pieces of ore (any color) and then you will be given option. But let me warn you, I totally forgot but there is also a cost for reforging your sword, It seems that cheapest variation costs 600 orens.

Cool, so just to be sure, It'll only present an option for forging a sword when I have 3 pieces of a certain type of ore?

I'm guessing swords that already have bonus modifiers to them can't be reforged?

Cool, so just to be sure, It'll only present an option for forging a sword when I have 3 pieces of a certain type of ore?

I'm guessing swords that already have bonus modifiers to them can't be reforged?

If you have the necessary ore in inventory, you'll see the appropriate Meteorite Sword in the blacksmith's inventory, and you can buy it. (You're really getting it crafted, I guess there were limitations in the engine on the way this could be shown).
I'm not sure if you CAN reforge a sword with existing bonus stats, but it wouldn't be a good idea. Yes, you'd lose the bonuses.

If you have the necessary ore in inventory, you'll see the appropriate Meteorite Sword in the blacksmith's inventory, and you can buy it. (You're really getting it crafted, I guess there were limitations in the engine on the way this could be shown).

Cool, that's helpful. Thanks Dragonbird. :)

I'm not sure if you CAN reforge a sword with existing bonus stats, but it wouldn't be a good idea. Yes, you'd lose the bonuses.

Cool, so basically you want to reforge a blank slate sword Ideally then. I assume my steel witcher sword is probably the most recommended one then?

Cool, so basically you want to reforge a blank slate sword Ideally then. I assume my steel witcher sword is probably the most recommended one then?

It doesn't actually work that way.

You can forge a new meteorite sword. You do not have to have any sword in your possession to do this, just 3 units of meteorite ore.

You cannot reforge a steel or meteorite sword. Forging a meteorite sword gives you an additional sword. If your steel sword slots are full when you do this, you may end up dropping one.

You can brand a silver sword with runes. You do need a silver sword for this. It must be your original silver sword, or a silver rune sword. The resulting sword replaces your silver sword.

It doesn't actually work that way.

You can forge a new meteorite sword. You do not have to have any sword in your possession to do this, just 3 units of meteorite ore.

You cannot reforge a steel or meteorite sword. Forging a meteorite sword gives you an additional sword. If your steel sword slots are full when you do this, you may end up dropping one.

You can brand a silver sword with runes. You do need a silver sword for this. It must be your original silver sword, or a silver rune sword. The resulting sword replaces your silver sword.

Good to know, thanks GuyNwah.

I'm still a little confused about using Runes. Are they just branded via my Inventory (like using a grindstone or oil), or do I need a (qualified) blacksmith to do it? If I do it myself, is the resulting sword permanently branded, or is the result only temporary (like coating with an oil) ? OR . . . are some RUNES temporary and some permanent - how do I know which is which???

Thanx in advance. I do hope someone is still reading this forum. The above quote is from 2015.

Proteus1946

Top Bottom