I'm back to the game, and need help getting started again

+
Hi!

I stopped playing Gwent beta around february this year, so it's been a while.
Would love to get back into game, but I am facing a problem, I have no idea how the game plays these days, and like everyone else, I lost my deck lists when they went out of beta. I played mostly monsters and nilfgaard.

Now I do not know where to start, what kind of deck to build etc.
My favorite (not necessarily powerful, but favorite because their mechanic) cards were something like this:
- Hanmarvyn's Dream
- Succubus (Miruna)
- Ciri (not nova, just Ciri)
- Ciri: Dash
- Ge'els
- Summoning circle
- Ocvist
- Johnny (!!!)
- Iris' Companions
- Sarah

Monster bronzes:
- Siren (+bloodmoon)
- Arachas Behemoth
- Werewolf

Nilfgaard bronzes:
- Slave driver (when with create ability, i do not like create, but I did like "stealing from my opponent".).
- Vicovaro medic
- Magne division

---------------------

If I would choose 3rd faction, It would probably be Skellige.

Anyway, I quit the game because facing scorch/damage chaining decks was not fun at all because it kind of ruined multiple card combos that I really like on the other end was Scoi'atel point spam deck that did not require that much thought. (I did not play either style, maybe I should have).

Anyway the point of this thread was to ask where do I even start? Can someone be nice and give me an update on gwent's status and major deckstyles? I dont even know if for example bloodmoon is still in the game so please bear that in mind :)
Help me get started please?

Thanks!

... I quit the game because facing scorch/damage chaining decks was not fun at all because it kind of ruined multiple card combos...
Well, I wonder how your return will turn out with Homecoming than. Keep us posted.

The best way of learning the game is playing the game. As obvious as it is... Watch some streams, vids from YT.

"Can someone be nice and give me an update on gwent's status and major deckstyles? "

This was too hard question for you people?

First tip, go through the faction trees for the reward book. They give the best bang for your buck IMO. Faction specific kegs, story nodes, etc.

I'm not sure what to say for the game play beyond jumping right in and playing the game. You can throw a deck together and do practice games if it all feels too intimidating. Just be warned the AI isn't too bright (Ge'els in melee row.... heh heh). Read your cards before playing them. Certain cards only function on one row but you can put them into the wrong row. Go figure....

Tall MS decks (lots of large units, GY play to re-use them), Deathwish and Consume are rather straightforward to play. Come to think of it MS is kind of linear/straightforward in general. I don't believe DW or Consume builds are exactly powerful decks since they both have significant weaknesses. On the other hand, they can be a huge problem if not countered. Tall MS with Woodlands is reasonable. Perhaps not top tier but it can at least hold it's own.

I'm not sure NG is necessarily straightforward. Reveal is self-explanatory but there are nuances to playing it IMO. Unless you have a lot of scraps/kegs you may not be able to afford stuff like Witcher builds. I "think" those are the two main NG builds right now. I could be mistaken though.

SK is quite strong at the moment IMO. They have a lot of viable Crach builds using spears/leader/damage units to set up Wild Boar of the Sea/Wolfsbane. Bran/Harald builds can also work. Full Bearmaster decks kind of suck IMO. There are other Bran builds relying on the consistency of the leader. Harald has a few ways to work with Greatswords and weather/movement concepts.

Deck list sites are still out there. "Kill every important card the other player puts on the board" is still very much alive. So don't be surprised if you run into it a lot (mostly Eithne).

First tip, go through the faction trees for the reward book. They give the best bang for your buck IMO. Faction specific kegs, story nodes, etc.
Thanks! appreciate this tip very much.

I'm not sure NG is necessarily straightforward. Reveal is self-explanatory but there are nuances to playing it IMO. Unless you have a lot of scraps/kegs you may not be able to afford stuff like Witcher builds. I "think" those are the two main NG builds right now. I could be mistaken though.
I have around 150k scraps, and thats one of the reason I posted this. I Dont wanna spend those "wrong".

Deck list sites are still out there. "Kill every important card the other player puts on the board" is still very much alive. So don't be surprised if you run into it a lot (mostly Eithne).

Damn. Well, I will see if I can work around that.

Thanks.

Thanks! appreciate this tip very much.

I have around 150k scraps, and thats one of the reason I posted this. I Dont wanna spend those "wrong".

Damn. Well, I will see if I can work around that.

Thanks.
I believe with 150,000 you can craft all or almost all non premium cards, so if you want to get a basic collection to try everything might be possible :) I would use reward points to unlock leaders because they are expensive to craft, and then for resources you feel you are lacking like ore for kegs or scraps. Lastly I would recommend spending time reading cards! Reach, order, and units needing to be on certain rows to activate their abilities tripped me up right at first. Another thing is card advantage doesn't really matter til 4 cards due to drawing 3 each turn. It bothered me at first but I have adjusted my beta gwent brain ;) I hope some of this is helpful! All the first things that came to my mind :)

So I first played Gwent over a year ago, before it came out of beta. It was much closer to the Witcher 3 version of gwent back then. Jump today logged in. Everything is different. That's fine, but aside from a tutorial which scratches the surface there is no guidance. The starter decks are complete shit, and I couldn't even win against a bot. I assumed that I just needed to grind more so that I could unlock materials and kegs to build a non-shit deck. Then I noticed that because I wasn't winning any games because I was using a starter deck against better players/players with better decks I wasn't earning resources. I eventually figured out that I needed to redeem challenge points/awards ( I don't remember the term) which would then allow me to go to the map thing and get resources. But none of that was explained. I then tried playing competitive and started winning, which didn't quite make sense. But what was worse is that none of this was explained. There needs to be more guidance especially for things like where to grind (competitive, not casual).
Jump to now, and I have reached a point where everyone I play against is using locks against me, every game. Locks aren't really explained, I have no idea if there is a counter to lock happy players or if I need to change my faction and playstyle to not get shit on by locks. It's not explained anywhere? I have memories of being able to unlock units, but I don't know if that is a feature anymore. Like where is the info?

there is a card, that looks like a beer, that unlocks cards. like in real life: beer is the solution to anything and you should watch out for it. :)

Jump to now, and I have reached a point where everyone I play against is using locks against me, every game. Locks aren't really explained, I have no idea if there is a counter to lock happy players or if I need to change my faction and playstyle to not get shit on by locks. It's not explained anywhere? I have memories of being able to unlock units, but I don't know if that is a feature anymore. Like where is the info?

Go in the deck builder, type in "Unlock". Their are a few cards that do it, though generally speaking the best counter to locks is to save your powerful, lockable cards till after you have baited out the other player since chances are they will only run 1 locking unit unless their Nilfgaard who run 2-3.

The game could use more instruction for new players, but stuff like dealing with the meta is honestly just something you have to learn by playing and adapting since its so malleable that any structured tutorial would become irrelevant shortly after being implemented as strategies and deck lists change.

If you are getting locked allot, try to bait out locks. If your being hit by powerful long term effects, run locks of your own. If your not drawing the cards you want, try thinning with Witchers and Roach. If artifacts get you down, run artifact removal, but replace it if your not getting enough targets. Geralt is fine removal in all his forms, but right now the best versions of him are Pro. for big monsters and Yrden for buff heavy decks like Monsters.

Aside from all of that, for the moment I would suggest trying to use points to unlock Woodland Spirit for Monsters and build a deck around thrive (boosts units when a larger unit is played), big cards like Old Speartip and Goules (they can eat your big creatures from the graveyard in round 3). It makes for a powerful and fairly simple deck you can earn some reward points with while you get used to the game. People might hate your guts cus the deck is sort of running wild right now, but hey, once you have some more points and kegs you can build a less annoying deck and keep learning and improving. Or just net deck and win allot, no judgment, you do you.

The card "Aguara" can lock and also unlock cards.

And for the learning process: this is a totally different game. Every CB-OB players had to learn the game...again. It's not the first time :) Play a lot, read the card descriptions, learn the strategy of your opponents, etc.
If you played in CB you have some scraps too...all our card were milled for full mill value.
And reward points: for 6 Round (not match!) wins you get 2 RP. If you increase your level you get 1 RP (in the beginning it is really fast), look at the contracts...some of them is really easy to make and you get RP.
Good luck and good game!

from the last stream, it seems that there's a bug that will be fixed next patch that made new players (level ~1 ) having high chance of facing prestige Y level ~1 (IE, they've already passed the full 60 levels at least once and restarting from 0 again). This is unintentional obviously. Although in your case since you're a returnee, you may have a different type of problem (this one not being a bug), if you've already accumulated many levels before quitting those levels obviously still count now in quick play.
Meanwhile, in ranked you starts at the real bottom of the list so with real beginners only, hence why it's easier to play there.
I'm a returning player myself, returned around one week ago, and I experienced the same thing.

Hi! I’ve stopped playing after the midwinter update (does anyone still remember this or am I too old for my own good?) and decide to try Gwent again, but things are… weird to me.

1)For some reason I have zero cards and lots of scraps. Which are some good decks / archetypes to invest?

2)About ranked, ok, I understood the “ get 5 pieces of glass” thing, but where can I see the rewards for each rank/season?

3)Reward books, a big ‘elephant in the room’ to me: although the idea sounds good, once I do the most obvious/easy achievements, how would I gain more points?

Basically, that’s all my doubts for now, at least the biggest ones. Thanks!

I too have been away since around midwinter and am thinking of returning. I would like to add some questions if I could.

1. How does homecoming change/fix the coin flip?
2. Do you still lose rank points for losing ranked matches?
3. Is the game more stable? I used to get disconnected 1 out of every 15 to 20 games, yet never have had problems with any other game online.
4. Other than the reduction from 3 rows to 2 and the coin flip change, are there other fundamental changes I need to be aware of?

Edit to add 5th question. I played on my PS4, I am wondering if I could like my account to my laptop and play on my PC? I would only want to do this if I could keep my scraps and kegs (I would include cards, but from what I read above my collection was auto milled.)

Edit to add one more question. I was reading reviews on throne breaker and homecoming and it seems most of the people writing them are like me in that they played since the beta. It seems that on GOG the overwhelming opinion is the that the game is slower, fundamentally different, (with much less difference between factions,) and overall less enjoyable. I will not judge until I see for myself, but my question for players who have experienced both is versions, is what happened/changed to turn off so many players?

Thank you in advance to anyone who helps me by answering.

Last edited:
Top Bottom