Quests and rewards unfriendly towards new players

+
I am have mentioned this a few times, and tried to say it in ask a dev thread but it got moved. This is another attempt at getting some eyes on this since in my opinion this is one the important barriers for new players. I honestly think fixing this alone will attract more players and prevents them from leaving after starting the game.

I know Gwent is pretty generous, and I actually legit love the Devs for being so generous. But, one thing that bothers me a lot is that the quests are geared more towards experienced players than new players. Many quests have "win X games" conditions in them, which makes them very frustrating for new players. More baffling is the "win X games in arena" ones which is more or less impossible for new players. Or to give another examples, the current faction challenge which states "win 3 games with 3 non-starter leaders"pretty much locks new players out of the reward point or progressing towards the next quest.

I just want to ask the devs, please rework the quest system. Gwent is awesome with rewards and this area is the only sour point on the experience for new players. Instead of having so many "win x games" quests, please have more "play x games". The end result is the same since the goal of the quest is having people play against players in different manners. So this would help the new players not to get frustrated, be open to experimenting and getting the resources for increasing their collection which is the end goal. I don`t think people with a full collection of cards and leaders need quests more then new players. I say this from experience, out of the players I know who have started Gwent, this is the major negative point for them that prevents them from enjoying the game and playing more. It is so frustrating to spend an hour just to get 2 wins out of 5 games and being no where near finishing the quest...

Please is possible do not delete this thread since it might be counted as duplicate of my other post, and if a dev can drop by I would really appreciate it. In my humble opinion as a new player, this is the most important thing that needs attention in Gwent.

Main daily quest in GWENT - Win 6\12 rounds. If you want to grind all from one day you can even go for 24 wins, you will get much more than any quest will reward you and you can guarantee reach it, because 2-0 it's not so common thing.
Yes, they sometimes can be challenging especially when it's "Win 5 for X fraction" and you have no card pool for it, but for this case we have "re-roll quest" feature. I also hardly recommend to use "Ranked" if you are really new player.

Even though I agree that the quest system should be reworked, I don't think it's particularly harsh on new players because you can reroll daily quests (up to two times with the prestige reward). Furthermore, you don't have to complete the quest the same day. You've got 3 days to complete it because you can have up to 3 quests at the same time. This means that you usually should get a doable quest.

in ranked you will calibrate to winning 50 % of your games. yes people in the top 50 % of players theoretically can go to casual and win more than half the time but in ranked everyone should have similar records once they are at the proper skill level. Also you shoudl be playing ranked and not casual as a new player.

I also hardly recommend to use "Ranked" if you are really new player.

Also you shoudl be playing ranked and not casual as a new player.

Contradicting advice...Although from my experience, rank mode at least has some semblance of match making. In casual in frequently get matched with 30+ level players.

Even though I agree that the quest system should be reworked, I don't think it's particularly harsh on new players because you can reroll daily quests (up to two times with the prestige reward). Furthermore, you don't have to complete the quest the same day. You've got 3 days to complete it because you can have up to 3 quests at the same time. This means that you usually should get a doable quest.

Yes, but when you re-roll a win x game and get win x arena games, you wont feel better :D. Also, as a casual player I mostly stick to playing the game for doing quests. This way I feel like I am accomplishing something and playing for a few minutes which works pretty well for me. I just think that in the end, play x games and win x games are not that different in what they achieve, so they might be better suited for players specially newer ones. This way even if I don`t have a viable deck for the X faction, I have no problem with just using a basic deck for it and playing, while learning a little bit about how that faction/leader works. I think the game should keep casual players in mind as well, those who do not necessarily think about ranking up and being really competitive. No where the lack of this is more evident than the faction quests I mentioned.

Contradicting advice...Although from my experience, rank mode at least has some semblance of match making. In casual in frequently get matched with 30+ level players.
You will be balanced with the people of same rank, it's often people with more or less same collection level(except players from OBT with lot of scraps and players who ignored ranked for some reason), but nor first nor second mentioned "players" type doesn't stuck on low ranked levels for long.
Also check contracts, some of them really easy to do(like reveal 10 cards, discard 10 cards etc) and provide some handful amount of points which you can convert into kegs\scraps.

Also check contracts, some of them really easy to do(like reveal 10 cards, discard 10 cards etc) and provide some handful amount of points which you can convert into kegs\scraps.

I think this is the point of the complaint. More quests should be like this where the goal isn't to win games, but to do stuff within them. New players already get shafted enough with the starter decks. It's unreasonable to ask them to win games with those decks.

I would like to see some new quests too. Something lovely and reminding you good old times.

Something like "summon 30 nekkers" or "boost two greatswords to 25 power or more". Maybe "play 7 viper witchers from your graveyard".

Something like "summon 30 nekkers" or "boost two greatswords to 25 power or more". Maybe "play 7 viper witchers from your graveyard".

Which is even more restrictive for new players who cannot easily create new decks.

It was meant as sarcasm :) sorry for confusion and petite throwback.
However, those would be more suited for contracts, rather than quests.
But I believe that some quest could have flavour too.

Hearthstone already went through this, and their new quests are much better and varied. I don`t think it would be too difficult to change/add quests based on ideas in HS.

I just copy and paste my last statement on the subject:

Wouldn't is be better, to not have "win quests" at all? Winning is your goal anyways, quests like this don't make the game more interesting, you just grind for resources. I would like to have challenges like "give 10+ charges to your units in 1 game", or "summon Ruehin 5+ times in 1 round", or "end 1 round with 5+ Arachas Drones on the board", or "deal 15 damage with spells in 1 game" there are so many possibillitys! Get creative guys! Or steel my ideas ;)

Of course these quests should only show up for people with respective cards/leaders in there collection. So you would get more and more new quests, the further you progress.

Top Bottom