Quests, in your opinion, have poor endings or ones that need to be improved.[Spoilers]

+

Guest 3847602

Radovid winning the war is 100% hack writting and it's hard to tell what quest should be improved. I guess whole game re-written.

Radovid crushing "Super Kaedwen" from TW2 (Roche path, spare Henselt, rescue Triss) in just one battle was almost equally unbelievable. That's the worldstate I imported into my first TW3 run. So, the whole thing pretty much stank from the start.
I just explain Radovid's victory by the fact I'm not seeing his most trusted general at the masquerade balls and horse races in the company of hot widows. :D

Wouldn't say 100% hack writing, more like cut content, but even then, if Radovid takes Novigrad so easily because of the influence of the Witch Hunters, then why didn't he do it a long time ago so he can win the war much quicker?

Both suffer from the last act having cut content, as I really do believe the "three days" thing in Blood and Wine to have been content that was cut due to lack of time, at least I hope so, or that they planned the invasion of Beauclair long before they wrote the story building up to that part.
My problem with Radovid winning is that you see his army - that would be fine if you couldn't see Emhyr's army, but you can. It's huge and there are hundreds of tents. So it's like thousands of soldiers against few soldiers on ship and not that many witch hunters. I guess the soldiers had a severe case of food poisoning (maybe that's how HoS quest of poisoning the guards came to be?). To me it doesn't make a lick of sense and it's more like a choice of the sake of the choice without making any sense or logic at all.

I feel like TW3 suffered from bad decision of what to cut and what not, and they decided to do whatever.
They could "redeem" themselves with 3rd expansion, throwing in all cut content and bring some new ideas. Something like Night of the Raven for Gothic 2 or some other expansions that add to the main game.

Radovid crushing "Super Kaedwen" from TW2 (Roche path, spare Henselt, rescue Triss) in just one battle was almost equally unbelievable. That's the worldstate I imported into my first TW3 run. So, the whole thing pretty much stank from the start.
I just explain Radovid's victory by the fact I'm not seeing his most trusted general at the masquerade balls and horse races in the company of hot widows. :D
Oh. My. God. You just reminded me of that disaster. And I thought I was on the good way to forget about this game, but I see I have looong way to go. It looks like TW2 corrupts everything.
Also, I thought the same thing about general... and food poisoning.

Wouldn't say 100% hack writing, more like cut content, but even then, if Radovid takes Novigrad so easily because of the influence of the Witch Hunters, then why didn't he do it a long time ago so he can win the war much quicker?

The point is that Radovid took Novigrad after he won the war.

Basically after Nilfgaard was pushed back south and Redania establish its rule over the north, Novigrad had no other options but to submit to Radovid.

My problem with Radovid winning is that you see his army - that would be fine if you couldn't see Emhyr's army, but you can. It's huge and there are hundreds of tents. So it's like thousands of soldiers against few soldiers on ship and not that many witch hunters. I guess the soldiers had a severe case of food poisoning (maybe that's how HoS quest of poisoning the guards came to be?). To me it doesn't make a lick of sense and it's more like a choice of the sake of the choice without making any sense or logic at all.

Well you actually you see more Redanian soldiers than those on the boat but they do represent the victory as due to Radovid tactical abilities which allow him to keep the superior enemy forces in bay and Emhyr political problems at home.

The point is that Radovid took Novigrad after he won the war.

Basically after Nilfgaard was pushed back south and Redania establish its rule over the north, Novigrad had no other options but to submit to Radovid.

He already has Novigrad before the war even ends, Redanian flags and soldiers are everywhere in the city when you get back from the Sabbath, he has control of the city at least in under a month since the last time you last would be in Novigrad, it happened so quickly and so suddenly it does not make any sense, even if the Redanian army intervened if the mages fought back hard in Oxenfurt and Novigrad and the same goes for the nonhumans if you helped Triss.

Very good points @ooodrin and @Arn1

I feel like TW3 suffered from bad decision of what to cut and what not, and they decided to do whatever.
They could "redeem" themselves with 3rd expansion, throwing in all cut content and bring some new ideas. Something like Night of the Raven for Gothic 2 or some other expansions that add to the main game.

Couldn't agree more but, as for what you said, I would call it an EE. An expansion brings new content in a new scenario, adding content to the main version of the game, IMO, it's an EE. And we already know that this is not gonna happen. The "game that looks like Blade Runner" and the card game goes first

Guest 3847602

Well you actually you see more Redanian soldiers than those on the boat but they do represent the victory as due to Radovid tactical abilities which allow him to keep the superior enemy forces in bay and Emhyr political problems at home.

That's the point, I think. We didn't get to see his tactical abilities anywhere. We didn't heard from anyone about some great battle where he outsmarted his numerically superior enemies. The war basically became sitzkrieg even before the game began. How did he managed to conquer Kaedwen, then stop the Nilfgaardian advance with relatively small forces?
1st Northern War was won at Sodden Hill thanks to the mages. Radovid is not relying on their assistance, he's burning them at the stakes.
2nd Northern War was won at Brenna thanks to the combination of: entire North united + Koviri gold + the mercenaries. Radovid is not receiving aid from Kovir, if he did, the entire Triss' storyarc wouldn't make any sense.
Don't get me wrong, I always let him win the war in my playthroughs, I'd just preferred if I could get a better explanation than "he's a military genius, he can do anything". Something more believable and observable.

That's the point, I think. We didn't get to see his tactical abilities anywhere. We didn't heard from anyone about some great battle where he outsmarted his numerically superior enemies. The war basically became sitzkrieg even before the game began. How did he managed to conquer Kaedwen, then stop the Nilfgaardian advance with relatively small forces?
1st Northern War was won at Sodden Hill thanks to the mages. Radovid is not relying on their assistance, he's burning them at the stakes.
2nd Northern War was won at Brenna thanks to the combination of: entire North united + Koviri gold + the mercenaries. Radovid is not receiving aid from Kovir, if he did, the entire Triss' storyarc wouldn't make any sense.
Don't get me wrong, I always let him win the war in my playthroughs, I'd just preferred if I could get a better explanation than "he's a military genius, he can do anything". Something more believable and observable.

Ambassador Var Attre did mention he manage to conquer Kaedwen due to their massive loses at the hands of Nilfgaard (including their king), so they didn't expect an invasion from their Redanian ally (which to this point did intervene in the war), so leaderless and demoralize they ended up submitting to annexation by Radovid. This isn't so much an evidence to some military genius on part of Radovid, more like his cunning sense of recognize weakness and his willingness to exploit it.

Var Attre also mention that after the conflict in the marches of Velen, the war basically turn into a stand still.

Guest 3847602

Ambassador Var Attre did mention he manage to conquer Kaedwen due to their massive loses at the hands of Nilfgaard (including their king), so they didn't expect an invasion from their Redanian ally (which to this point did intervene in the war), so leaderless and demoralize they ended up submitting to annexation by Radovid. This isn't so much an evidence to some military genius on part of Radovid, more like his cunning sense of recognize weakness and his willingness to exploit it.

Var Attre also mention that after the conflict in the marches of Velen, the war basically turn into a stand still.

I remember all that, what I wanted to say is that, for all we know about forces on his disposal, he shouldn't be that big of a problem for Nilfgaard. He can count on Redanian army and what remained of Kaedweni. That's just not enough (even if we count in the knights of the Flaming Rose). In the previous war, all Northern Kingdoms were united and would have still lost if not for the last minute aid from Kovir.
That battle in Velen was indecisive, both sides suffered heavy losses. By any logic, the consequences of such battle should be devastating for the less numerous Redenians. Radovid should be in even weaker position after this battle, not in a position to enforce a stalemate.
The point is - without the players interference, Nilfgaard should be the one clearly winning the war. That's the expectation the books and previous game established - the North needs a miracle to survive the invasion from the south.
All of that got inverted in TW3 - Nilfgaard now needs your help to win the war. Why? Because Radovid is presented as a sadist and madman. In contrast, whitewashed Emhyr is the one who brings peace and prosperity to the conquered lands. The game wants you to make an additional effort and stop what is perceived as a bad outcome (Radovid winning) from occurring, not the good one (Emhyr). Hence, the assassination plot is directed at Radovid, not some Nilfgaardian general or Emhyr himself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some posters put it way better than I could have, however I have some other issues with how Redenia/Nilfgaard plays plays out.

To put it simply I don't think it's believable that Radovid would go into Kaedwen, kill Henselt then instantly have an advantage and a bigger army at his disposal. You saw the Kaedweni in Witcher 2, they were very distinct from the Redenians, they had their own culture and traditions. They would not take well to Redenian rule, especially under Radovid an uncharismatic leader who just killed their beloved king. They would not line up to die for his northern empire. In a logical situation Radovid would waste his men invading Kaedwen , then waste his men even more trying to put down rebellions and guerrilla groups and keeping order. I don't know why this part was added, all they had to do, was say that Radovid lead the northern alliance, with other kings or reagents having a secondary role in decision making since they were weakened. They didn't even have to make different maps, where they're painted red/black.

Another issue I have is that Radovid kept making enemies for himself in his own borders. Not only would mages not fight for him, but mages would actively fight against him. Very powerful individuals who shifted the tides of previous wars. Not only that but he antagonized all the herbalists, alchemists, witches, educators, scientists. These were all people who could help in the war , yet he created conditions in which they become thousands of potential saboteurs in his own borders. Then he kept antagonizing non-humans even more, with them being burned alive or put into camps, again creating possible rebellions, partisan groups, saboteurs.

Everything about this either ignored events and logic in the books or just ignored common sense

I remember all that, what I wanted to say is that, for all we know about forces on his disposal, he shouldn't be that big of a problem for Nilfgaard. He can count on Redanian army and what remained of Kaedweni. That's just not enough (even if we count in the knights of the Flaming Rose). In the previous war, all Northern Kingdoms were united and would have still lost if not for the last minute aid from Kovir.
That battle in Velen was indecisive, both sides suffered heavy losses. By any logic, the consequences of such battle should be devastating for the less numerous Redenians. Radovid should be in even weaker position after this battle, not in a position to enforce a stalemate.
The point is - without the players interference, Nilfgaard should be the one clearly winning the war. That's the expectation the books and previous game established - the North needs a miracle to survive the invasion from the south.
All of that got inverted in TW3 - Nilfgaard now needs your help to win the war. Why? Because Radovid is presented as a sadist and madman. In contrast, whitewashed Emhyr is the one who brings peace and prosperity to the conquered lands. The game wants you to make an additional effort and stop what is perceived as a bad outcome (Radovid winning) from occurring, not the good one (Emhyr). Hence, the assassination plot is directed at Radovid, not some Nilfgaardian general or Emhyr himself.

It could have been more balanced if the remnants of the temerian army had fought on the redanian side under John Natalis orders but, reducing Temeria to one small camp of partisans makes your argument fully valid. The war is just a part of the politics and this aspect of the game really sucks. Almost everything doesn't make sense

Also I agree with you on Nilgaard. It would had been nice to see the original Nilfgaard from TW2 but more explained: conversations with soldiers and generals or politicians to understand their point of view but, instead of that, they look like the guys who will bring order and culture to a saddist north. Everything was simplified and we all know the reasons

---------- Updated at 02:46 PM ----------

Some posters put it way better than I could have, however I have some other issues with how Redenia/Nilfgaard plays plays out.

To put it simply I don't think it's believable that Radovid would go into Kaedwen, kill Henselt then instantly have an advantage and a bigger army at his disposal. You saw the Kaedweni in Witcher 2, they were very distinct from the Redenians, they had their own culture and traditions. They would not take well to Redenian rule, especially under Radovid an uncharismatic leader who just killed their beloved king. They would not line up to die for his northern empire. In a logical situation Radovid would waste his men invading Kaedwen , then waste his men even more trying to put down rebellions and guerrilla groups and keeping order. I don't know why this part was added, all they had to do, was say that Radovid lead the northern alliance, with other kings or reagents having a secondary role in decision making since they were weakened. They didn't even have to make different maps, where they're painted red/black.

Another issue I have is that Radovid kept making enemies for himself in his own borders. Not only would mages not fight for him, but mages would actively fight against him. Very powerful individuals who shifted the tides of previous wars. Not only that but he antagonized all the herbalists, alchemists, witches, educators, scientists. These were all people who could help in the war , yet he created conditions in which they become thousands of potential saboteurs in his own borders. Then he kept antagonizing non-humans even more, with them being burned alive or put into camps, again creating possible rebellions, partisan groups, saboteurs.

Everything about this either ignored events and logic in the books or just ignored common sense

Couldn't agree more. Speaking about Radovid, all that you said is true but it was done intentionally in order to make him a clear antagonist. They way CDPR did it its so simple that it's even insulting

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

It could have been more balanced if the remnants of the temerian army had fought on the redanian said under John Natalis orders but, reducing Temeria to one small camp of partisans makes your argument fully valid. The war is just a part of the politics and this aspect of the game really sucks. Almost everything doesn't make sense

Also I agree with you on Nilgaard. I would had been to see the original Nilfgaard from TW2 but more explained: conversations with soldiers and generals or politicians to understand their point of view but, instead of that, they look like the guys who will bring order and culture to the saddist north. Everything was simplified and we all know the reasons

I agree the politics in this game is a lost cause, but if you're implying the newcomers and consoles are to blame for this, I'll have to disagree. IMO, TW2 was made with newcomers and consoles (just look at that goddamn UI) in mind every bit as TW3, yet it had no trouble with portraying war, racial conflicts, kings, mages, soldiers, etc in a believable way.
That's why I subscribe to the "rushed writing" theory - the political issues are a mere afterthought in TW3. :)

Radovid crushing "Super Kaedwen" from TW2 (Roche path, spare Henselt, rescue Triss) in just one battle was almost equally unbelievable.

In 1410 Polish and Lituanian army crush army of The Teutonic Knights in one battle (where Great Master was killed). Of course it's not mean Teutonic Knights are defeated, but not so far after that, they surrender to Polish king.
Teutonic Knights have two Grand Masters, Kaedwen have only one king, and when he was killed, two capabilities- Nilfgaard or Redania.

In the previous war, all Northern Kingdoms were united and would have still lost if not for the last minute aid from Kovir.
If both sides lost their men, both sides are in the same situation... just saying.

If I'm correct Radovid building army (it was mentioned in TW2 trailer about world), on Brenna fight more than 40 thousands soldiers in North side and they trick Nilfgaard aemy, we don't know what looks new Radovid army, and what looks battles, to speak about this.

Battle of Velen if I'm correct was mentioned as biggest battle in world, thats mean Redanian army was bigger than Brenna coalition.

Look at:
Stalingrad- Russian army was crushed, city almost conquered, and Russian army win.
Termophile- Spartans and Greeks stop Persian army?
Teutoburg Forest and three legions slaughtered for barbarians?
Battle of Warsaw where Polish army win with Russians (probably it was inspiration for battle of Brenna)

Most of this battles are win by tactical, than forces. And we don't know how many forces have Radovid and how he win next battles.

their beloved king

Yep, and they want kill him in W2 with Roche :p

Because Radovid is presented as a sadist and madman. In contrast, whitewashed Emhyr is the one who brings peace and prosperity to the conquered lands.

He killing all who can be against him, and he good know that rest people are against magic, etc. (Abigayl, anyone?) you think, all of the herbalists or elves have chance against thousands of people? If so, all pogroms should end massacre of villagers.

Scoiatael live in forests and shooting to villagers, and terrorising small villages, cause they have no chance against regular armies, and they are skilled at combat... and what can do herbalists or alchemists?
Yep sorceresses are something different, but again, we see what can do army against them in Loc Muinne... question is do they want fight against Radovid army, or just hidden and live?

You don't look at it from historical perspective, where many times people slaughter of ethnic minorities only cause someone said they must do this.
It's not so simple as it's looks, look on all big leaders and they "crimes"
In Rome they killing Christians
In third Reich all was against Jews
In France St. Bartholomew's Day massacre directed against the Huguenots
In Russia Stalin killing all who he want.
In Poland Jeremi Wiśniowiecki hammering the stake.
Vlad the Impaler...

If Radovid was madnes what about them?

I don't say you don't have right, but speaking about war, about what we don't know almost nothing is like speaking about colors with blind. And some of you points are not realy like we can see it in history of our world (which derive devs and Sapkowski).

Last edited:
I agree the politics in this game is a lost cause, but if you're implying the newcomers and consoles are to blame for this, I'll have to disagree. IMO, TW2 was made with newcomers and consoles (just look at that goddamn UI) in mind every bit as TW3, yet it had no trouble with portraying war, racial conflicts, kings, mages, soldiers, etc in a believable way.
That's why I subscribe to the "rushed writing" theory - the political issues are a mere afterthought in TW3. :)

I've seen so much evidence showing they rushed development for TW3. It's undeniable at this stage,

I've seen so much evidence showing they rushed development for TW3. It's undeniable at this stage,

Witcher 3 didn't have our guy working on it.

They didn't have the main writer from TW1 either.

I think that's it. Lack of talent and imagination account of the new writers, and the new lead writer, who isn't even credited as a writer in TW2, and in TW1 he's credited as "additional dialogue".

Attachments

• sebastian.jpg
    sebastian.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Witcher 3 didn't have our guy working on it.

They didn't have the main writer from TW1 either.

I think that's it. Lack of talent and imagination account of the new writers, and the new lead writer, who isn't even credited as a writer in TW2, and in TW1 he's credited as "additional dialogue".

If I could, I would give you 100000000 RED points. You totally nailed it

Reasons of State is by far the worst quest, personally the others mentioned here are fairly OK in comparison, did not noticed anything that feel bad in my first playthought, the problem here is that quest is where all the characters that are not in game should have come and play a key part, yes im talking about Adda, Anais, and Stennis.
This quest is way poorly written, Roche should only decide to deal with Emhyr as an absolutely last resort (all of the abode are dead), or as an alternative deal with Dijkstra to end as a vassal state to Redania.

Personally, ACT 3 is rushed, HoS addeds something else to do in Novigrad map after the battle at that level, but after returning to the islands there is nothing else to do and the main quests are finished in like an hour.

Top Bottom