Quick Play: Reduce the Turn Time

+
Quick Play: Reduce the Turn Time

I just forfeitet two games because the opponents took ages to play their cards. I get it if you have to think about your play from time to time, but if the turn clock starts ticking every turn it really gets frustrating sitting their for minutes twiddle one's thumbs

Yeah agreed, is so damn slow sometimes. If they could give us the option to set game parameters, and you could vs other people will those same parameters, that would be great. A quick game is a good game!

I am afraid you fell into the trap of those cowards who use the "wait till timer runs out, rinse and repeat" so-called "strategy" to get easy victories.

Devs could do some things like this:

Each time you let the timer get down to X, your next timer gets reduced by Y %.

If your opponent lets timer get down to X twice (in a row?), you get the option to "quit" instead of "forfeit", which does not give your opponent a "win". (No - I have not seen a "quit" option here.)

pahriah;n7258120 said:
Devs could do some things like this:

Each time you let the timer get down to X, your next timer gets reduced by Y %.

If your opponent lets timer get down to X twice (in a row?), you get the option to "quit" instead of "forfeit", which does not give your opponent a "win". (No - I have not seen a "quit" option here.)

There already is a similar mechanic. If the opponent doesn't play at all, the timer then is shorter.

Knightlon;n7258620 said:
There already is a similar mechanic. If the opponent doesn't play at all, the timer then is shorter.
Yes. But this only applies to opponents who went AFK.

The "winning by doing it all extra slow, frustrating opponent into forfeiting" get no turn time reduction at all.

Then it should be applied there as well. I mean, it doesn't kill them to be faster, if it's even not a tournament.

Sick to tears watching all these "choose what you want" draw cards and whom to revive medics chains as they construct their perfect circumstances as slowly as possible. These things could stand to be faster IMO.

Would it be good to have "speedy" option for quicker matches?

Match two players as always without any change, but if both of them have the "speedy" option set in their preferences then the match is considered "speedy", you're informed about it on loading screen and every round has 30 (or less?) seconds limit.

This wouldn't affect normal players at all. The queue time would remain the same.

I personally am a fast player and I am not really a fan of the long drawn out rounds that happen way to often.

That said, this is a terrible idea.
Not everyone is a fast player and this alone would give the advantage to those that are.

If someone is a slow player by nature for whatever reason and get end up matched with me (when I have this option enabled) they are guaranteed to lose the game.
And they wouldn't even lose to me! Not fun for either of us.

Just have 1 standard and that's it. Don't force people to do something if it isn't necessary.

30 seconds of wait per round when facing a person that "ropes" is annoying.
Losing to a short timer is actually painful.

nightweaver;n7583880 said:
If someone is a slow player by nature for whatever reason and get end up matched with me (when I have this option enabled) they are guaranteed to lose the game.

But... I said "if both of them have the "speedy" option set".

prostynick;n7583980 said:
But... I said "if both of them have the "speedy" option set".

Sorry, I missed that. >.>

That would be much better yes. Though would make it very rare to encounter.

nightweaver;n7584000 said:
That would be much better yes. Though would make it very rare to encounter.

What makes you think that?

Like the OP I'm generally a fast, instinctive player, probably not a good strategy but am too lazy to thoroughly evaluate every possibility.

Be interesting to see how many people would like such an option - perhaps a poll is in order?

I would love to see this. It is terrible and let me yawn if a player needs 29,9 sec to find a card. You can see him touch this card - go back - next card - oh wait this one could be better and so on. So if both are confident there should be a button with fast play - both have to agree with it and it would be a fine addition.

stridecolossus;n7584300 said:
What makes you think that?

Like the OP I'm generally a fast, instinctive player, probably not a good strategy but am too lazy to thoroughly evaluate every possibility.

Be interesting to see how many people would like such an option - perhaps a poll is in order?

Purely based on how many players rope turns. (For whatever reason.) It's getting kinda insane.

Not to mention, if you play any non-meta deck and actually have to think on a move for once, it will hamper your ability to do so.
Even I think I won't be using it for that very reason. (I don't play meta decks. Way to boring, especially NR and SK.)

nightweaver;n7585610 said:
Purely based on how many players rope turns. (For whatever reason.) It's getting kinda insane.

True enough, there does seem an increase in irritating buggers roping out games both in casual and ranked, I'd play a 'quick-game' option for that very reason.

If I understand the OP correctly, "Slow" players could still be matched up with "Speedy" players (but play slow) but if the matchup finds two people who want to play fast, the timer would be shorter.

I thought it to be a good idea because it tries to address annoying timewastes but it's a bit redundand and already implemented to some extend. If two players want to play fast they can simply just do that, there's no need to shorten the timer and this option wouldn't fix anything. And even fast players might want to have some extra seconds to think at a crucial point in the match, especially when they play against unfamiliar decks.

A better way to fix this (maybe) would be to make the timer depending on your rank, e.g. rank 1-5 get 60 seconds per turn, rank 6-10, 50 seconds and so on. But as I said, even as a usually fast player I sometimes need time to think too and those occasions will come more often once the final release is out and more decks get played.

milosh69;n7586080 said:
I thought it to be a good idea because it tries to address annoying timewastes but it's a bit redundand and already implemented to some extend. If two players want to play fast they can simply just do that, there's no need to shorten the timer and this option wouldn't fix anything

You're right, but with this you have two things: you do have to think faster sometimes which might be compelling for some and you won't run into people who deliberately wait until the last second to piss you off. Well you might end up running into them since Speedy will be matched with Standard anyway, but...

Having this system in place devs could decide in future that we have significant amount of players and it won't hurt much to change it completely and having an option to just look for fast players only (in oppose to what's proposed by me). Devs have access to statistics and might find in future that the percentage of people wanting to play speedy games is high enough to justify introducing "speedy only" option or not. Or it might go in the opposite direction - they might decide that this option is so rarely used it can be removed. Either way introducing proposing solution doesn't brake anything for standard players at this moment.

Top Bottom