Quintivarium’s Quirky Decks

+
I miss DRK3. I miss his Deck of the Day thread. In his spirit, I would like to resume the idea.

But I am nowhere near as prolific as he was. Right now, I only have 3 or 4 unique and interesting decks I to share. Others will come, but on a very irrational schedule. So I ask you to help by sharing your unique and interesting decks. They do not have to be meta quality — it suffices to be original and fun.

Because of the auto merge feature of the forums, I cannot make successive posts unless they are separated by 24 hours, so my first deck will likely appear this weekend.

INDEX (by faction, leader, and date of update under which the deck was constructed)

MONSTERS
Fruits of Ysgith
Lunch May 2022​

NILFGAARD
Double Cross
Bigger May 2022​
Imprisonment
April Spies April 2022​
Swordplay May 2022​

NORTHERN REALMS
Pincer Maneuver
Mutagenerator 4 April 2022​
Shieldwall
Control Boost August 2022​
SCOIA'TAEL
Invigorate
Specialized April 2022​
Call of Harmony
True Brokilon December 2022​

SKELLIGE
Reckless Fury

SYNDICATE
Lined Pockets

Last edited:
For my first “deck”, I want to present what is really just a package embedded in (or illustrated by) a deck I have enjoyed playing. It originated with the question, “Is it possible to design a deck around the Troll Porter card?”. The basic idea is to polarize a deck to an extreme degree, populating it with very high provision golds and many 4 provision bronzes. Porter will be used to banish a handful of garbage bronzes to guarantee the high provision golds will be drawn. Snowdrop has obvious synergy with this strategy as she can be used to shuffle gold cards out of the hand before it is banished, and she is boosted by the cards Porter draws. The third essential piece to this package is Magic Compass – a card that provides tremendous flexibility and benefits from the ultrathin final deck. I generally try to only use Compass when my deck size is two or smaller – forget about its echo ability and only use it with a deck of more than two cards in an emergency, e.g., to avoid it being banished by Porter, or to compensate for unexpected clogging.

These three cards comprize the “Porter package”. Everything else is flexible provided you keep as many four-provision, banish-fodder cards as possible. Since optimal use of Compass requires eventual thinning to 2 or fewer cards in deck, it is helpful to note how many cards Porter must banish. I find it is hard to consistently banish more than 5 to 7 cards with Porter, so I try to include about 2 other thinning cards. The fewer cards you banish with Porter, the fewer points Snowdrop generates (and the less value Porter has). The more you need to banish, the harder it is to set up an appropriate hand to banish. For consistency, I like to include Oneiromancy and/or Royal Decree (never drawing Porter is extremely bad, while having both Porter and Snowdrop in round one is very helpful).

The basic playing style would vary a little depending on the actual archetype you choose to play with the Porter package, but usually you want to mulligan any initial gold cards (especially cards like Magic Compass that you never want to play round one). Ideally, you play Snowdrop and Porter round one. This combo usually gives enough tempo to either carry the round or to force significant commitment from your opponent. Be attentive to the timing of Porter so that you thin enough cards to have 0 to 2 remaining by the game end. After playing Porter, you hand should be good enough to compete in round one for as long as you feel is appropriate, but you need to beware of over-committing.

On less-than-ideal draws, there is considerable strategy in the timing of Porter. You may choose to play him round one without Snowdrop, but it might be better to wait and hope to draw her first. You also need to weigh banishing a good gold card with either playing it (and banishing fewer cards) or waiting until a later round with Porter. The big issue with delaying Porter until a later round is ensuring a future round of sufficient length (cards in hand) to thin you deck sufficiently to trigger Compass. Often this requires care in how round one is played.

The other big strategic decision is usually which card to draw with Compass. Fucusya is an obvious choice, but you might not always have good targets for Fucusya (especially if you also play Sigrdrifa’s Rite). Keep in mind that rain value can significantly compensate for raising a bronze unit. But sometimes you will want the damage of a Hemdall, Wild Boar of the Sea, or Morkvarg: Heart of Terror. Sometimes Arnaghad can deny an opponent significant points – especially in conjunction with Sukrus, or Mardroeme. (What could be better vs. Priestesses?) Sometimes Artis, Knut the Callous, or Salblod Totem are tempting. I have even used Dire Bear against thrive units that were row-stacked to achieve Sabbath.

Here, I present a version of this package which includes Ihuarraquax (which forces my top provision units to be cards I don’t mind having summoned to the melee row). I took high provision removal (Korathi Heatwave, Vigo’s Muzzle), carryover cards (Melusine, The Mushy Truffle), protection (in the form of Covenant of Steel, Sukrus), and Sigedrifa’s Rite (to replay a higher value card). I also replaced 2 four-provision cards with the five-provision Traveling Merchant (to help consistency by allowing me to “fix” my hand before banishing it).

Troll Porter decks admit an immense variety of design options. Except for Porter, Compass, and Snowdrop, every card – and even the leader -- is optional. I would be a bit careful about including cards that have unpredictable levels of thinning effect (e.g. Ring of Fortune) as that makes using Porter trickier – but I am a bit of a consistency freak. As far as I can tell, virtually any SK archetype (excluding devotion and possibly Lippy) could be combined with this Porter package. It does not mix with the discard package, but it is much more consistent. It also makes the most sense in highly polarized decks. (The more junk bronzes you have in deck, the easier it is to remove only them with Porter). I have been tempted to try a druid version with high end druids and a plan to play Gedyneith from Compass. If you try other variants, please share how they work.

You can find my deck here.

DRK3

Forum veteran
For my first “deck”, I want to present what is really just a package embedded in (or illustrated by) a deck I have enjoyed playing. It originated with the question, “Is it possible to design a deck around the Troll Porter card?”. The basic idea is to polarize a deck to an extreme degree, populating it with very high provision golds and many 4 provision bronzes. Porter will be used to banish a handful of garbage bronzes to guarantee the high provision golds will be drawn. Snowdrop has obvious synergy with this strategy as she can be used to shuffle gold cards out of the hand before it is banished, and she is boosted by the cards Porter draws. The third essential piece to this package is Magic Compass – a card that provides tremendous flexibility and benefits from the ultrathin final deck. I generally try to only use Compass when my deck size is two or smaller – forget about its echo ability and only use it with a deck of more than two cards in an emergency, e.g., to avoid it being banished by Porter, or to compensate for unexpected clogging.

These three cards comprize the “Porter package”. Everything else is flexible provided you keep as many four-provision, banish-fodder cards as possible. Since optimal use of Compass requires eventual thinning to 2 or fewer cards in deck, it is helpful to note how many cards Porter must banish. I find it is hard to consistently banish more than 5 to 7 cards with Porter, so I try to include about 2 other thinning cards. The fewer cards you banish with Porter, the fewer points Snowdrop generates (and the less value Porter has). The more you need to banish, the harder it is to set up an appropriate hand to banish. For consistency, I like to include Oneiromancy and/or Royal Decree (never drawing Porter is extremely bad, while having both Porter and Snowdrop in round one is very helpful).

The basic playing style would vary a little depending on the actual archetype you choose to play with the Porter package, but usually you want to mulligan any initial gold cards (especially cards like Magic Compass that you never want to play round one). Ideally, you play Snowdrop and Porter round one. This combo usually gives enough tempo to either carry the round or to force significant commitment from your opponent. Be attentive to the timing of Porter so that you thin enough cards to have 0 to 2 remaining by the game end. After playing Porter, you hand should be good enough to compete in round one for as long as you feel is appropriate, but you need to beware of over-committing.

On less-than-ideal draws, there is considerable strategy in the timing of Porter. You may choose to play him round one without Snowdrop, but it might be better to wait and hope to draw her first. You also need to weigh banishing a good gold card with either playing it (and banishing fewer cards) or waiting until a later round with Porter. The big issue with delaying Porter until a later round is ensuring a future round of sufficient length (cards in hand) to thin you deck sufficiently to trigger Compass. Often this requires care in how round one is played.

The other big strategic decision is usually which card to draw with Compass. Fucusya is an obvious choice, but you might not always have good targets for Fucusya (especially if you also play Sigrdrifa’s Rite). Keep in mind that rain value can significantly compensate for raising a bronze unit. But sometimes you will want the damage of a Hemdall, Wild Boar of the Sea, or Morkvarg: Heart of Terror. Sometimes Arnaghad can deny an opponent significant points – especially in conjunction with Sukrus, or Mardroeme. (What could be better vs. Priestesses?) Sometimes Artis, Knut the Callous, or Salblod Totem are tempting. I have even used Dire Bear against thrive units that were row-stacked to achieve Sabbath.

Here, I present a version of this package which includes Ihuarraquax (which forces my top provision units to be cards I don’t mind having summoned to the melee row). I took high provision removal (Korathi Heatwave, Vigo’s Muzzle), carryover cards (Melusine, The Mushy Truffle), protection (in the form of Covenant of Steel, Sukrus), and Sigedrifa’s Rite (to replay a higher value card). I also replaced 2 four-provision cards with the five-provision Traveling Merchant (to help consistency by allowing me to “fix” my hand before banishing it).

Troll Porter decks admit an immense variety of design options. Except for Porter, Compass, and Snowdrop, every card – and even the leader -- is optional. I would be a bit careful about including cards that have unpredictable levels of thinning effect (e.g. Ring of Fortune) as that makes using Porter trickier – but I am a bit of a consistency freak. As far as I can tell, virtually any SK archetype (excluding devotion and possibly Lippy) could be combined with this Porter package. It does not mix with the discard package, but it is much more consistent. It also makes the most sense in highly polarized decks. (The more junk bronzes you have in deck, the easier it is to remove only them with Porter). I have been tempted to try a druid version with high end druids and a plan to play Gedyneith from Compass. If you try other variants, please share how they work.

You can find my deck here.
Troll Porter is a super interesting card, shame it's not getting much attention.
Beta veterans recognized the card immediately - there was a gold card that did pretty much the same thing, that card's name and art are Saessenthesis Blaze. And needless to say, i did some meme decks around it. :shrug:

That card was very expensive (it was a gold, of which you could only have 4), while Troll Porter at 6 for 6, not even including the effect, is very cheap. Also, there are way more options for deck manipulation now than at that time, which makes playing with this new card even more enticing.

- Since your 'troll porter package' consists of cards of less than 10 provisions, it could easily become a golden nekker nova deck.
Typically, i wouldnt recommend it just because that would bring it close to a current dominant, boring metadeck...
But the Lippy potential is what makes it shine - whether included directly in the deck or obtained from golden compass - as in combination with troll porter R1 to banish 5-8 bad cards, it could make for ultra consistent two rounds of huge pointslam and high prov cards.

- Another interesting option would be to transform your deck into a singleton (Radeyah + Shupe) deck. It would be quite easy, as you only have 3 dupes and they're easily replaceable with other bronzes. Then replace a couple of expensive golds, perhaps the Ihuarraquax and Melusine combo, although it pains me a bit because i love trolling with the best unicorn :ohstopit:

I originally intended to include Shupe — which is why the design seems close to fitting him. In the end I liked other cards better — but that could be a lot about personal taste and about particular combinations I tried. A Shupe deck is definitely worth trying.

I deliberately avoided Golden Nekker first, because as you said, my deck would become a minor variant of a net deck. But even more, because Golden Nekker runs counter to my goal of hyper-consistency. Finally, I think it alone provides the ideal amount of thinning with what Porter/Snowdrop ideally accomplishes, so it restricts more cards than it at first appears. Of course, my judgment could be off — it is worth a try.

I briefly considered Lippy, but I don’t like Lippy and I am probably not the right player to design that deck.

By the way, I may not always reply to suggestions/comments even though I appreciate them. Explaining decisions can sound defensive even if that’s not intended. But more importantly, it forces me to wait 24 hours before I post again or my new post gets auto merged. In this case, I am hoping my next deck can revolve around Prism Pendulum, but I am struggling with that deck. I think that both ST is in a bad place right now and that pendulum is a horrible card. I have a couple more ideas to try, but I might never find a Prism deck worth sharing. Regardless, I doubt it will be ready within 24 hours.

DRK3

Forum veteran
By the way, I may not always reply to suggestions/comments even though I appreciate them. Explaining decisions can sound defensive even if that’s not intended. But more importantly, it forces me to wait 24 hours before I post again or my new post gets auto merged.
I suffered the same issue when i was posting content last year (and less regularly, on the years before). The forum's system isnt the best for this type of content, and it feels terrible to write a detailed post for it to be auto merged and not even bump the thread.

Even worse when you have multiple posts ready at a moment, and it would make sense to post them at the same time... but you have to wait 24h for each or pray that someone else replies. :giveup:

I disagree ST is in a bad place right now, both elves and dwarves are very popular. Shame those 2 lists are always the same (sidenote: i did see a brilliant deck by Myamon combining elves and dwarves though)
But i agree Prism pendant is kinda terrible, to the point it might not even be worth exploring and build a meme deck around it.

Do you take requests / challenges? Like asking for a deck around a (new) card? :coolstory:

I suffered the same issue when i was posting content last year (and less regularly, on the years before). The forum's system isnt the best for this type of content, and it feels terrible to write a detailed post for it to be auto merged and not even bump the thread.

Even worse when you have multiple posts ready at a moment, and it would make sense to post them at the same time... but you have to wait 24h for each or pray that someone else replies. :giveup:

I disagree ST is in a bad place right now, both elves and dwarves are very popular. Shame those 2 lists are always the same (sidenote: i did see a brilliant deck by Myamon combining elves and dwarves though)
But i agree Prism pendant is kinda terrible, to the point it might not even be worth exploring and build a meme deck around it.

Do you take requests / challenges? Like asking for a deck around a (new) card? :coolstory:
I will take requests; I won't promise results. A deck usefully utilizing Prism Pendulum is beyond me!

Porter Package -- Ihuarraquax Variation April 2022
This is one of those decks that you have to equip with the Unicorn coin, if you have unlocked it with the Journey. :ok:

I know the deck is not meant to be competitive, but based on the sample of 6 games, I got 4 win, 1 draw and 1 loss. I went from Rank 5 to Rank 4. After the first two games I removed The Mushy Truffle in favour of Arnaghad, mostly to fish for the Sukrus-Arnaghad combo.

I lost a game against elves and traps. I should have lost also against a White Frost deck, but my opponent decided to leave Melusine in my graveyard. :shrug:

DRK3

Forum veteran
I will take requests; I won't promise results. A deck usefully utilizing Prism Pendulum is beyond me!
Well, i'll probably make you regret writing those words... :smart:

My 1st request is to create a deck CENTERED around the obsidian mirror, which is one of the most interesting cards in FT set, yet everyone seems to be avoiding it.

I will put the next suggestions and comments on the card under spoilers, in case you wanna give the card a try on your own, without external influences.

-The current meta may be part of the reason the card isnt played. Lots of reckless flurry and siege pings to instantly wipe those spawned 1 pt units.
-The card can be given more consistency if you use operator to put a bronze on your opponent's side, that will give you 1 of the 3 bronze units you need. Of course you should pick something that gives you some sort of advantage, an engine that is more beneficial to you than your opponent?
-The Sk tuirseach veterans and svlalblod priest are a dream match-up, as the former spawned at 1pt but should instantly go to 8pt, and the latter is a good engine and the opponents deck doesnt pack much control.
-Another interesting matchup is dwarves. That gold dwarf that transforms 3 rwody dwarves into berserkers? Well those are 3 prime targets for you, as they should spawn with armor which is their strength, but of course their pings arent as useful against dwarves in general due to their armor. but its worth exploring...

Yes, Obsidian mirror.

Also try Mutagenerator, i tried it with a lot of 7 provison cards and Erland. Varied succes.

My 1st request is to create a deck CENTERED around the obsidian mirror, which is one of the most interesting cards in FT set, yet everyone seems to be avoiding it.

Also try Mutagenerator, i tried it with a lot of 7 provison cards and Erland. Varied succes.
You folks know how to challenge me. I don't expect to come up with success in either request -- I will briefly explain why here. But you have given me an idea for another Gwent deck-building strategy article where I will expand on these ideas -- if I ever get time to write it.

I have worked several hours on a deck centered around Obsidian Mirror, but I don't think the cards currently exist to do this. To my mind, there are two types of cards in Gwent: focus cards that provide win conditions, and support cards that can strengthen a deck by helping ensure the opponent's win conditions are not as effective as yours. Right now, I think Obsidian Mirror is not a bad card, but it cannot be more than a support card.-- and this is not really consistent with your request. To be a focus card, one has to be able to consistently expect to use it as a win con. But Mirror is useless without appropriate targets -- and many decks don't play enough appropriate targets to guarantee value. Thus, to make it focal, you have to provide the appropriate targets, e.g., by operator. But even this requires having a bronze to copy in hand and access to both Operator and Mirror. And to be consistent, this will require tutors (and probably card draw tools). And suddenly you have a big deck commitment around around a card that remains unlikely generate more than 12 to 15 points (which wouldn't be bad if it didn't commit about 6 cards of your deck and two or three turns to accomplish it). I did have one idea -- which fortunately did not work because it would have been Cahir level binary. That was to use it to get one-provision copies of Master of Puppets, give them spying, and seize them back after use with Emhyr. But spying status was not maintained when Master of Puppets was used. I think Obsidian Mirror can be a good support card -- mulligan fodder against opponents where it will lack good targets. I will try to create a deck with this use -- but that deck is still wide open.

Mutagenerator is the opposite story. I have already tried to find a deck for it. And I gave up (although without really giving it a lot of effort). Mutagenerator has to be a focus card. With 0 tempo, and sufficient value only if a deck is designed around the card, it almost has to provide a win condition. To me, that would mean needing at least 20 points from that card -- with enough additional to offset the sacrifices made in the deck for the card to achieve that value. But I may have given up too soon -- a little mathematical calculation suggests that at least a meme deck should be possible around the theme you suggested. Place Erland, Obsidian, Oneiromancy, fifteen 7-provision units (6 provision units could also be considered, mathematically, you could place more but there are limited options and many are weak). Then fill the deck with 4 provision Mulligan fodder. If you find Mutagenerator round 1 (and it is not removed) you should get 25 points of carry-over round 1, which with Erland, can be fully extracted round 3. Plus, you should get 15 points from mutagenerator boosts round 1. I would think this should be very competitive. I will try it and let you know.

Last edited:
If by "useful" you don't mean Tier 0, try the Prism Pendant with Merigold's Hailstorm-Manticore Venom combo. It's still frightfully slow, and often wasteful, but giving 8 bleeding to 5/3 units at the same time is pretty satisfying. Golden Nekker is probably the best way to get the pendant out on the board, so Ciri naturally follows. My deck is built on Forge, with all of the resilient dwarves thrown in.

DRK3

Forum veteran
@quintivarium Regarding my request, for obsidian mirror:
I agree its not an easy card and deck to build and pilot, very match up and meta dependant, but if it was something obvious i wouldnt be interested in it to begin with...
I think the best way to approach this one is to reverse-engineer it: take a look at the meta reports and check the most popular decks out there, then look at their bronzes and see what obsidian mirror can do with them and what cards would support such strategy.
Also, im curious - after you use obsidian mirror do the spawned units have their order ready if they have zeal? Im thinking of NR's reinforced ballistae and other siege engines, which can be devastating if your opponent is playing 1 per turn while you play 3.

Regarding mutagenerator:
I am also interested in this card, but initially i thought it was neutral and thought up some strategies that would be insane, then i realized its NR exclusive. Still, i see most players using it for carryover and deck boosting (i think that is on the ranged), but it can probably be used for pointslam and swarm buffs - you mentioned 20pts, im sure i would have no problem getting that and more, with the right deck.

If by "useful" you don't mean Tier 0, try the Prism Pendant with Merigold's Hailstorm-Manticore Venom combo. It's still frightfully slow, and often wasteful, but giving 8 bleeding to 5/3 units at the same time is pretty satisfying. Golden Nekker is probably the best way to get the pendant out on the board, so Ciri naturally follows. My deck is built on Forge, with all of the resilient dwarves thrown in.
I tried Pendant with Hailstorm, Venom, and Red Haze (which bleeds both the bomb target and the unit it strikes). I tried it with the forge leader, and nature's gift and deadeye ambush and guerilla tactics and call of harmony. I tried it with dwarves, elves, dryads, specials, traps, no units, Golden Nekker, Avallac'h, with and without Ring of Favor. I must have missed the right balance, because noting seemed viable against decks I encountered on unranked. Nekker/resilience makes sense (Nekker to mitigate Pendant's slow tempo, resilience to offset a tendency to lose round 1) -- I never tried both at the same time.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Sorry to bring back old topics, but regarding Troll Porter and what we said earlier

- Since your 'troll porter package' consists of cards of less than 10 provisions, it could easily become a golden nekker nova deck.
Typically, i wouldnt recommend it just because that would bring it close to a current dominant, boring metadeck...
But the Lippy potential is what makes it shine - whether included directly in the deck or obtained from golden compass - as in combination with troll porter R1 to banish 5-8 bad cards, it could make for ultra consistent two rounds of huge pointslam and high prov cards.

- Another interesting option would be to transform your deck into a singleton (Radeyah + Shupe) deck. It would be quite easy, as you only have 3 dupes and they're easily replaceable with other bronzes.
I just saw MyaMon use a deck like this: with Shupe, Radeyah and Lippy and buddies (great minds think alike :ohstopit:)
This match (against the typical reckless flurry) was insane - sorry i dont know how to post twitch live videos with timemarks - easily one of the best ive ever seen.
He even uses Alissa Henson and he played Shupe 4 times in the match and Golden Compass 3 times.

I strongly encourage everyone to check him out, he's quickly becoming my favourite player.

Last edited:
I tried Pendant with Hailstorm, Venom, and Red Haze (which bleeds both the bomb target and the unit it strikes). I tried it with the forge leader, and nature's gift and deadeye ambush and guerilla tactics and call of harmony. I tried it with dwarves, elves, dryads, specials, traps, no units, Golden Nekker, Avallac'h, with and without Ring of Favor. I must have missed the right balance, because noting seemed viable against decks I encountered on unranked. Nekker/resilience makes sense (Nekker to mitigate Pendant's slow tempo, resilience to offset a tendency to lose round 1) -- I never tried both at the same time.
Prism's vitality also synergizes well with resilience, so there's a decent case can be made for forcing R1 with the Nekker, if needed. I found a couple of different builds that work well on the ladder, though it's probably not thanks to the pendant :D.

im curious - after you use obsidian mirror do the spawned units have their order ready if they have zeal?
Zealed orders have zeal.
Reinforced ballista on the other hand doesn’t have zeal, it’s Formation, that gives it to it.
Still imo Obsidian Mirror is best used on Dward Berserkers, because of their armor and Thrive units (Larvae + Fruit of Ysgith is the best in the beginning of the match).
Everything else just dies almost immediately.

Regarding my request, for obsidian mirror:
I agree its not an easy card and deck to build and pilot, very match up and meta dependant, but if it was something obvious i wouldnt be interested in it to begin with...
I think the best way to approach this one is to reverse-engineer it: take a look at the meta reports and check the most popular decks out there, then look at their bronzes and see what obsidian mirror can do with them and what cards would support such strategy.
Also, im curious - after you use obsidian mirror do the spawned units have their order ready if they have zeal? Im thinking of NR's reinforced ballistae and other siege engines, which can be devastating if your opponent is playing 1 per turn while you play 3.

Regarding mutagenerator:
I am also interested in this card, but initially i thought it was neutral and thought up some strategies that would be insane, then i realized its NR exclusive. Still, i see most players using it for carryover and deck boosting (i think that is on the ranged), but it can probably be used for pointslam and swarm buffs - you mentioned 20pts, im sure i would have no problem getting that and more, with the right deck.
For this use of Obsidian Mirror, I think almost any deck that uses illusionist (except those wanting the soldier tag) could use Mirror in place or in addition. I did not want to reverse engineer a meta deck to include Mirror because to me, that would still be the same meta deck with a new tool. An alternative approach is to ask what Obsidian Mirror is good against -- then use it as tech against that. You have identified that it is very useful against self-wound card. It is very good against bronze boost/thrive engines. And it can be life saving in an NG mirror where your key bronzes get locked and copied or stolen. Other than very specific instances, that's all I can come up with. In other settings, Mirror will be low return -- unless you can build in an efficient way to improve that return. I haven't found a good way to move the card from tech to core. Teleportation uses two turns to get one turn's value. Same with Elf and Onion Soup. Bekker's Dark Mirror might do better against pointslam bronzes, but now you are committing an 8 provision card as well. Tourney Shalamar benefits, but that is very gimmicky. I am getting stuck using Mirror in a consistently meaningful way.

Mutagenerator is proving viable, but not awe-inspiring. It is hard to get both good point-slam and good carry-over. I am finding Mutagenerator to easily give enough to carry one round -- but the other cards have to be sufficient to carry a second round, and that is the catch. I have 15 seven-provision cards in my deck, 7 bronzes I would normally mulligan, and Erland, Oneiromancy, and Mutagenerator. But at least half of the 7-provision cards are there only because they are 7-provisions -- not because they are particularly useful. Sometimes when Mutagenator is not present, I actually prefer my bronze cards! There are ways to tweak the formula -- one only "needs" to play 7-provision cards in the round with Mutagenerator -- but if you want 6 or seven such cards in hand to play and at least 5 in deck, you can't go much below 15 of these cards in deck. You could try the opposite approach -- targeting 4 or 5 provision units with Mutagenerator, then having untargeted large provision units, but you are more likely to run into draw consistency issues -- I haven't tried this approach yet.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Mutagenerator is proving viable, but not awe-inspiring. It is hard to get both good point-slam and good carry-over. I am finding Mutagenerator to easily give enough to carry one round -- but the other cards have to be sufficient to carry a second round, and that is the catch. I have 15 seven-provision cards in my deck, 7 bronzes I would normally mulligan, and Erland, Oneiromancy, and Mutagenerator. But at least half of the 7-provision cards are there only because they are 7-provisions -- not because they are particularly useful. Sometimes when Mutagenator is not present, I actually prefer my bronze cards! There are ways to tweak the formula -- one only "needs" to play 7-provision cards in the round with Mutagenerator -- but if you want 6 or seven such cards in hand to play and at least 5 in deck, you can't go much below 15 of these cards in deck. You could try the opposite approach -- targeting 4 or 5 provision units with Mutagenerator, then having untargeted large provision units, but you are more likely to run into draw consistency issues -- I haven't tried this approach yet.
I dont understand this approach (i even went to check the card again to make sure im not missing something).
Why focus on mid provision cards like 7pr? Specially when you said it yourself you're struggling with finding cards of that provision that are actually good to play.

The effect of mutagenerator is the same if you do it on 4p or 5p cards, and this way you can polarize the deck as its typical for NR and you will definitely have enough of those low provision cards for mutagenerator to target, while also having more high provision cards.

Im speaking based on experience with meme 'all gold decks', filled with cards of 6-8 provisions and they function very poorly, i doubt that has changed.

I dont understand this approach (i even went to check the card again to make sure im not missing something).
Why focus on mid provision cards like 7pr? Specially when you said it yourself you're struggling with finding cards of that provision that are actually good to play.

The effect of mutagenerator is the same if you do it on 4p or 5p cards, and this way you can polarize the deck as its typical for NR and you will definitely have enough of those low provision cards for mutagenerator to target, while also having more high provision cards.

Im speaking based on experience with meme 'all gold decks', filled with cards of 6-8 provisions and they function very poorly, i doubt that has changed.
I am still experimenting. The idea of targeting 7 provision cards was the intent of avoiding mulligans of high provision cards — which happens if you target 4 or 5 provision cards. I can’t fit enough 8 or higher provision cards in the deck to target them. And 7-provision cards are much better than 6 provision cards. Finally, Thaler Is 7 provisions. He allows me to extend round one an extra turn.

I just built a deck targeting 4 provision cards. I thought hiding the deck behind priestesses or patience mages might be cute — and might give another win con. I did have trouble using all provisions on quality cards, so I may tweak it to have fewer four provision cards. But I am already sometimes struggling to get enough round 1. So far the deck works about as well as my 7- provision deck. I do mulligan gold cards in round 1 and fail to get them back. And my 4 provision cards struggle to keep up — I usually end up a card down to get less carryover than the 7 provision version. But I do defend a bleed well and still have good cards for round 3.

After I test this version better, I will try targeting 5-provision cards. But in this version, my mulligan fodder is likely to be 5 provision cards — which means I will probably play fewer total provisions. I don’t know if this is worth it.

Top Bottom