Quintivarium’s Quirky Decks

+
FOUR

Overview:

Today’s deck is a deck inspired by @DRK3 who has a remarkable way of milking cards to create unique memes. I must admit the focus of this deck is a card that has been the basis of many meme decks, but I use it in a way that, I believe, is completely new. That card is Syanna. Before I go further, let me emphasis that the deck presented here has been optimized for meme value – not playing value. I will discuss ways of changing that in the discussion below.

So, what new can be done with Syanna? How about playing it 4 times? Here’s my scheme: Use Syanna to double the deploy value of Arachas Queen (AQ). Yes, it works – both consumed units are then spawned when AQ’s deathwish is triggered. Make Syanna the second unit consumed. This is important, if you consume Syanna first, her effect is cancelled before it applies. Then proceed to trigger AQ’s deathwish up to four times with Weavess: Incantation, Abaya, and two consumes (one enabled by Witches’ Sabbath).

I have found that most of the extra Syannas are mainly for show as it is hard to get value from the order ability more than 2 or 3 times – after including the essential combo cards, tutors to provide reasonable odds of drawing them, and probably a defender to protect Syanna, there are not many spare provisions. And there are very few reasonable low provision Neutral/Monster targets.

If you want to play this deck seriously, you want to change strategy – go ahead and use Syanna on AQ but make AQ consume a second target that provides more value than Syanna. However, the deck list I have presented does not have a lot of strong choices for this second target: defender, Incantation (this will prevent incantation from triggering the second AQ deathwish summon), maybe Rot Fiend. And you have to be careful not to place too many defenders in your graveyard or Sabbath will no longer summon AQ.

I think the idea can be successful, but changing the deck to include more and better AQ targets is wise. A version I like swaps out Wererat and one Bridge troll for Prizewinning Cow and Slyzard. Another approach I’ve yet to try would ditch the bronzes and most of the tutors for Snowdrop / Troll Porter and strong Neutral targets for AQ. I have not tried this approach.

Playing the Deck:

In general, the deck is quite flexible depending upon what is drawn for round one. The Harpy/Egg package usually supply enough points to win a round with other bronze support. And AQ (because it will be consumed) can be set up in the same round it is re-summoned by Witches’ Sabbath. Thus, one can make the initial AQ play in round 1 (holding Sabbath for round 3), or it can be deferred to allow more pieces of the combination to be drawn. The deck does not absolutely have to win round one, but you do want to avoid being deeply bled in round 2 if at all possible.

Drawing critical combination pieces: Syanna, AQ, ideally Defender (to protect Syanna and serve as target for AQ), often Weavess: Incantation (to trigger AQ), and eventually Sabbath can be a little tricky, but the tutors help. Stratagem and Royal Degree can help you draw anything needed, Hillock helps draw AQ, and Whispess can draw either Hillock or Sabbath. Usually you have what is needed by round 3 if not sooner.

The tricky part of the deck is sequencing cards and making choices to avoid numerous hazards. Beware of placing so many high-power monster cards in the deck that Sabbath could fail to Draw AQ. Be aware of board space for AQ’s deathwish spawn; beware of bricking Whispess; never consume Syanna before another unit; don’t waste Whispess if you may need it later for Sabbath; protect Syanna (first with defender, then by baiting out removal, and finally by the Truffle order); balance deathwish units with consumes and having needed targets for consumes; save Syanna targets for when Syanna is available; try to play harpies in pairs for the bonded ability, etc. I typically reserve leader to consume AQ twice and Abaya for the AQ summoned by Sabbath.

Card Roles:

• Key Combination: Syanna, Arachas Queen, Witches’ Sabbath
  • Tutoring: Royal Decree, Whispering Hillock, Whispess: Tribute, Cursed Scroll (stratagem)
  • AQ Deathwish Triggers: Weavess: Incantation, Abaya
  • AQ Consume Targets: Syanna (but never as first target), Defender (beware of getting too many in graveyard before using Sabbath), Weavess (may prevent full trigger of AQ deathwish from Weavess ability), Rotfiend
  • Syanna Protection: Cave Troll, order from Mushy Truffle
  • Syanna Targets: Arachas Queen, Whispess Tribute, Werecat, Bridge Troll or consume unit (maybe)
  • Harpy/Egg Package (good point output): Harpy Egg (x2), Celaeno Harpy (x2), Mushy Truffle
  • Other Deathwish Cards: Rotfiend (x2), Werecat, Bridge Troll (x2)
  • Consumes: Arachas Queen, Weavess: Incantation, Wererat, Cyclops (in effect), Celaeno Harpy (x2), Endrega Warrior (x2)
  • Removal: Parasite, Cyclops, Rotfiend, Werecat
  • Whispess Targets: Witches Sabbath, Whispering Hillock, Parasite
Deck List:

The deck can be found here.

DRK3

Forum veteran
FOUR

Overview:

Today’s deck is a deck inspired by @DRK3 who has a remarkable way of milking cards to create unique memes. I must admit the focus of this deck is a card that has been the basis of many meme decks, but I use it in a way that, I believe, is completely new. That card is Syanna. Before I go further, let me emphasis that the deck presented here has been optimized for meme value – not playing value. I will discuss ways of changing that in the discussion below.

So, what new can be done with Syanna? How about playing it 4 times? Here’s my scheme: Use Syanna to double the deploy value of Arachas Queen (AQ). Yes, it works – both consumed units are then spawned when AQ’s deathwish is triggered. Make Syanna the second unit consumed. This is important, if you consume Syanna first, her effect is cancelled before it applies. Then proceed to trigger AQ’s deathwish up to four times with Weavess: Incantation, Abaya, and two consumes (one enabled by Witches’ Sabbath).

I have found that most of the extra Syannas are mainly for show as it is hard to get value from the order ability more than 2 or 3 times – after including the essential combo cards, tutors to provide reasonable odds of drawing them, and probably a defender to protect Syanna, there are not many spare provisions. And there are very few reasonable low provision Neutral/Monster targets.

If you want to play this deck seriously, you want to change strategy – go ahead and use Syanna on AQ but make AQ consume a second target that provides more value than Syanna. However, the deck list I have presented does not have a lot of strong choices for this second target: defender, Incantation (this will prevent incantation from triggering the second AQ deathwish summon), maybe Rot Fiend. And you have to be careful not to place too many defenders in your graveyard or Sabbath will no longer summon AQ.

I think the idea can be successful, but changing the deck to include more and better AQ targets is wise. A version I like swaps out Wererat and one Bridge troll for Prizewinning Cow and Slyzard. Another approach I’ve yet to try would ditch the bronzes and most of the tutors for Snowdrop / Troll Porter and strong Neutral targets for AQ. I have not tried this approach.

Playing the Deck:

In general, the deck is quite flexible depending upon what is drawn for round one. The Harpy/Egg package usually supply enough points to win a round with other bronze support. And AQ (because it will be consumed) can be set up in the same round it is re-summoned by Witches’ Sabbath. Thus, one can make the initial AQ play in round 1 (holding Sabbath for round 3), or it can be deferred to allow more pieces of the combination to be drawn. The deck does not absolutely have to win round one, but you do want to avoid being deeply bled in round 2 if at all possible.

Drawing critical combination pieces: Syanna, AQ, ideally Defender (to protect Syanna and serve as target for AQ), often Weavess: Incantation (to trigger AQ), and eventually Sabbath can be a little tricky, but the tutors help. Stratagem and Royal Degree can help you draw anything needed, Hillock helps draw AQ, and Whispess can draw either Hillock or Sabbath. Usually you have what is needed by round 3 if not sooner.

The tricky part of the deck is sequencing cards and making choices to avoid numerous hazards. Beware of placing so many high-power monster cards in the deck that Sabbath could fail to Draw AQ. Be aware of board space for AQ’s deathwish spawn; beware of bricking Whispess; never consume Syanna before another unit; don’t waste Whispess if you may need it later for Sabbath; protect Syanna (first with defender, then by baiting out removal, and finally by the Truffle order); balance deathwish units with consumes and having needed targets for consumes; save Syanna targets for when Syanna is available; try to play harpies in pairs for the bonded ability, etc. I typically reserve leader to consume AQ twice and Abaya for the AQ summoned by Sabbath.

Card Roles:

• Key Combination: Syanna, Arachas Queen, Witches’ Sabbath
  • Tutoring: Royal Decree, Whispering Hillock, Whispess: Tribute, Cursed Scroll (stratagem)
  • AQ Deathwish Triggers: Weavess: Incantation, Abaya
  • AQ Consume Targets: Syanna (but never as first target), Defender (beware of getting too many in graveyard before using Sabbath), Weavess (may prevent full trigger of AQ deathwish from Weavess ability), Rotfiend
  • Syanna Protection: Cave Troll, order from Mushy Truffle
  • Syanna Targets: Arachas Queen, Whispess Tribute, Werecat, Bridge Troll or consume unit (maybe)
  • Harpy/Egg Package (good point output): Harpy Egg (x2), Celaeno Harpy (x2), Mushy Truffle
  • Other Deathwish Cards: Rotfiend (x2), Werecat, Bridge Troll (x2)
  • Consumes: Arachas Queen, Weavess: Incantation, Wererat, Cyclops (in effect), Celaeno Harpy (x2), Endrega Warrior (x2)
  • Removal: Parasite, Cyclops, Rotfiend, Werecat
  • Whispess Targets: Witches Sabbath, Whispering Hillock, Parasite
Deck List:

The deck can be found here.
I approve this deck.
I have seen Syanna being used in conjunction with Arachas Queen, but never to actually consume Syanna and spawn more copies of her, that's brilliant, and i also didnt know about the sequencing mechanics.

(In case someone is curious, the version i know is Jim-Wolverine's syanna + arachas queen on the madoc + foglet duo, you can easily find it in his youtube channel)

Regarding the strategy, it seems solid (for meme standards at least), but since you indicate you dont have good targets for the 2nd AQ spawn, i would suggest succubus - it was recently buffed, its cheap, its a budget dethlaff HV, and it benefits from creating many copies of it early on, and later on you can win R3 very cheaply, with just a ton of consumes on them - as long as they dont get locked.

Another small suggestion is to replace the cursed scroll stratagem for urn of shadows to instantly trigger AQ again on R1 on blue coin, but that will depend on how comfortable one is on their "drawing skills". You already have royal decree and hillock as tutors, and unlike operator or caranthir shenanigans, you dont need to have your key pieces in hand, they can be tutored for the same effect.

Also you may want to look into the reworked siren - having a bronze that is both consume and DW is great, and it quickly became one of my favourite DW bronzes. :howdy:

I dont want to put a discredit in quintivarium idea, but the "dead" plaintalkjhon already made this idea.

His targets of consume were defender and/or Ciri dash.

He used a deck with "no doubles" to use radeyah too.

The other key Card (And this Card i have the credit for the idea in his stream chat) was yaga (behind 2 or 3 defenders)

I have a few decks for the December 2022 Season which will be published over the next few days. (Christmas break has actually given me enough uninterrupted playing time to experiment.) This first one I hesitate to include as it feels like little more than a variant of a current meta-deck; although it would be a fairly substantial variant. I chose to present it in part to promote the idea of not running Saskia: Commander in Harmony decks, and partly as tribute the the deck that almost single handedly allowed me to complete the recent Christmas event. I believe all 30 of the required wins came with this one deck.

TRUE BROKILON

Overview:

This deck is my take on the Harmony archetype. Except for two locks, every card was chosen to either provide or to proc harmony. It is, thus, considerably more all-in on the harmony idea than current meta decks; this is highlighted by the choice not to include Saskia: Commander -- a choice that I believe gives it a different flavor than the Harmony decks currently in vogue, and a choice that I believe has considerable merit.

Card Choices:
  • Probably most important is what I didn't include: Saskia: Commander. Aside from it being such a meta-card, I dislike the card in Harmony for four other reasons: it loses value on a short round, it is high rng, it limits choice of bronze units to those not dependent upon deploy effects for value, and it is anti-synergistic with harmony units by summoning tags you would rather play.
  • Water of Brokilon. This is probably the most important, non-standard inclusion. It compensates for the points lost by not including Commander.
  • Dana Meadbh. Included partly because it is a new card, but I appreciate it for its exceptional value in either form. It either provides massive points or draws removal that enables other units to generate points.
  • Quarixis. Again a new card I wanted to try. It could honestly benefit from more procs, but has good value when used with the leader ability. And it is often removed before it could benefit from procs. So, like Dana, it draws removal away from other cards. I am happy with the value it gives.
  • Mysteries of Loc Feainn. I hate this card. But scenarios provide too many points to exclude from decks they support. There is no equivalent value replacement.
  • Saskia. Although vanilla Saskia feels very power-crept for its provisions, this card gives me the dragon tag in a harmony card. And it still plays for enough value that I never feel bad drawing it.
  • Lake Guardian: Dusk Aspect. The typical Harmony pay-off card. Perhaps a point or two better in this deck because the deck is more focused on harmony than most meta decks.
  • Ciaran aep Easnillen and Morenn. Lock cards chosen to give the deck a little additional ability to contain an opponent's greed. With poison and movement from harmony cards, the deck can usually handle the most dangerous threats a typical opponent brings -- but control needs to be reserved for when it is absolutely necessary.
  • Willow, Percival, Antherion, Dryad Ranger, Half-elf, Chariot, Hawk. Except for Sirssa and Dryad Fledgling, every harmony card available is included in the deck. This is substantially more harmony than the typical meta deck. The omissions shared primary tags with other, what I perceive as better, choices, and a deck doesn't have room for everything.
  • Chameleon, Cat Witcher, Chariot, Miner, Berserker, Girl. Units chosen to proc harmony and to fill out the primary unit tags not previously included in the deck

Deck Play:

Because this deck has no tutors and no thinning, it is a bit more susceptible to draw variations than the meta harmony decks with which I am familiar. However; that does not make it any less consistent -- it does not depend upon the timing of the draw of Saskia: Commander. With more Harmony tags, it is much less likely to brick Loc Feainn on a short round. And it doesn't randomly summon the wrong tag at the wrong time to mess up your planning. And it has enough points that it can generally withstand failure to draw a big card. The bigger problem is drawing not good cards to contest round one -- but that is an issue with the Saskia: Commander decks as well.

Because of the absence of consistency tools, one has to be flexible in approach, adapting strategy to what is drawn. Because this deck is very strong in long rounds, I generally want to push round one deeply to win (although, with a bad hand, it is better to dump bad cards and pass). Usually I can either get heavy commitment from an opponent or I win the round outright. Despite the risk of not drawing key cards later, I almost always mulligan cards like Lake Guardian that I would have no intention of playing round 1. Only Loc Feainn, Dana, Quarixis, and Water are cards I will never mulligan -- and I usually play at least one of those to contest round one.

If I win round one, I usually prefer longer rounds with this deck. But judgment is important. With the right cards, a 2-0 push is in order. And against monsters insects decks (the only greedy deck I have observed to clearly outpoint this one) pushing round 2 to force out (or at least split apart) the Koshchey/ Kikimore Queen/ Scratch-a-Lot combo is essential.

If I lose round 1 -- usually due to either a very bad initial draw or opponent over-commitment, I do not hesitate to defend the bleed very aggressively -- with either scenario or Water (but not both unless absolutely necessary). It is rare for an opponent to push me very deep into round 2 without going a card down, or making a big commitment themselves. This deck has a surprising number of points; unless I am reckless, round three generally takes care of itself.

One caveat is to be very careful with your control. First, you have very little -- this deck can simply out point all but the biggest threats, so save control for where it is going to be needed. Be especially careful with poisons that you can use them in pairs. Also be aware that the lock cards are generally lower tempo and less synergistic than almost any alternative. Use them when needed, but consider whether they are truly needed over simply claiming more points.

Deck List: The deck list can be found here.

Last edited:
I ask you to help by sharing your

Hope it help, some are really old, but i update them after patch
Some may look similar to some meta but they're not

OUCH

General:
SK has always been one of my favorite factions – both thematically and in playing style. But lately, I have struggled to get viable decks that were unique and fun. I finally stumbled upon one. It hinges upon two interconnected packages: Gedyneith and Svalblod. Each of these packages can yield a very strong round – either short or long. Regrettably, I found I needed 23 provisions (Oneiromancy and Avallac’h) devoted to tutoring (not my favorite style), but consistency was suspect without them.

Major Packages:
Gedyneith: This package includes the scenario, Truffle, the Preachers, the Dwimveandra, and Alchemy specials as necessary.

Svalblod: This package includes Svalblod, Totem, the healers, and the Drakkar.

Utility: Not really a package as a convenient grouping of cards that can be used where most needed. It includes tutors, Dire Bear, the defender, Sigrdrifa

Filler: Again, not really a package so much as a convenient classification including: alchemy cards (other than Sigrdrifa), Hermits, Cultist, Berserker. Hermits provide backup triggers for Gedyneith and backup damage to trigger transformations (or the 6-damage count for Svalblod); Cultist is backup healing and/or damage; Berserker is a backup Bear. The alchemy cards counter locks and/or give quick infusions to cards you need to keep healthy. They are also triggers for the Preachers.

Considerations:

The deck does not have a lot of flexibility, but there are a few options.

Most of the four provision cards are interchangeable, but all chosen have a purpose – it’s just a question of whether something else might be better.

One or both tutors could go – I would have loved a Dracoturtle and or upgrading some 4 provision cards for the likes of Decoction, Delirium, or Restore – but I found I need the consistency. Replacing one or both with Triss: Butterflies frees provisions, but it loses both tempo and some consistency. Still, Triss is a good dry pass card, and the boost could save a Preacher from easy removal if Triss had no truly critical targets.

Most of the best players find Dire Bear overpriced for its value. But this deck’s control is very limited. And no other single card can address the variety of potential issues that Dire Bear addresses. Besides, it is strategically fun and is thematically appropriate.

Defenders are costly points. But losing Svalblood to a Heatwave or an Invocation is disastrous – the deck loses the ability to fight two strong rounds. At least the defender trades up in points to any purify card and may burn an opponent’s banish/steal option. A resurrected Svalblod is not ideal, but can still provide value.

You can possibly get by with only one good healer but having two seems very worthwhile. That way the healers can heal each other and, when played with Svalblood, both tend to achieve good value.

Sigrdrifa often lacks a great target. But even returning a dire bear or defender to action is going to be worth more than most alternatives. And returning Svalblod to play if he is destroyed before his supporting cards are burned can be match saving.

Playing the Deck:

Round 1: Barring a disastrous initial draw (in which case, drop three trash cards and pass even if you lose on even) you want to push this round hard. It is OK to lose – you don’t need round control – but you want your opponent to burn enough that they either dry-pass round 2 or burn everything left to bleed you. Generally, you want to drop either the Svalblod package (absolutely requires Svalblod + Totem + at least one healer) or the Gedyneith package (absolutely requires Gedyneith + at least 1 Preacher + Truffle + at least one Dwimveandra) while preserving the other for the final round. Either package can be used depending upon draw and match-up. Other things being equal, the Svalblod package is better to drop as it is more fragile to disruption, it requires fewer pieces, and it provides better targets for Sigrdrifa – but if round 3 removal is important, you want to save the Svalblood package. You might also want to save the Svalblood package if you are facing a deck with a very strong round 1 as it is more flexible to defend a bleed.

Round 2: Normally I only bleed if the opposing deck demands it (e.g., against elves or insects) or I have a perfect hand and I hope to catch an opponent with suboptimal draws. Generally, an effective bleed forces me to drop my win condition, so I only do so if I have a hopeless round 3 matchup, or if I am committed to either 2-0 or to force out all my opponent’s strength.

Round 3: This round is basically about optimizing your points. Svalblod can sometimes be dropped to deny my opponent points rather than to optimize mine, but otherwise the packages are not very interactive. Other than playing around cards like Igni or Schirru and using utility and filler packet cards to respond to specific opponent actions, there is little to discuss.

Playing the Svalblod Package: The defender’s best use is protecting Svalblod. You also need to be careful about row-space as typically Svalblod’s row fills with bears. You likely also want Flaminica in that row to heal the bears. Be careful not to play Svalblod and Totem too early – Svalblood tends to get a lot of triggers quickly with this combo and you want them hitting enemy targets – your healers compensate for the extra friendly targets. Also be careful not to block progress with Svalblod by triggering transformations of all Fanatics before Svalblod’s row is filled. If this happens, you can trigger 6 damage by Mardroeme (from leader if necessary) + Totem + Hermit, Cultist, or Berserker.

Playing the Gedyneith Package: There are not a huge number of druids in the deck, but you almost certainly want at least two preachers (counting one from Truffle if it is available) to get solid value, so barring bad draws or suffering a bad bleed, you should be fine. Be careful to play around Schirru and/or Igni by selective targeting of Preachers with boosts. Innately, the Preachers will tend to cluster around very similar values. Unless you have ample triggers for Gedy, Dwimveandras should go ranged row – and rowspace can be a problem, so plan how you place Preachers to keep Crows from filling the back row.

Playing the Support Cards:

Remember that Oneiromancy is a common squirrel target – it’s best to use it round 1 only if you need it to complete a package. Also, if you are missing more than one artifact, it is better to summon artifacts directly than to summon Avallac’h to summon the artifact as keeping Avallac’h in deck gives an extra chance for the missing artifact. But be careful about bricking Avallac’h.

Wait for a significant commitment of boost cards from your opponent before committing Dire Bear unless their boosts are row locked. And be careful not to do more damage blocking growth of Preachers than he does good. Dire Bear works fine with healers – healing is not boosting. But remember – Dire Bear is best for boost engines you can’t just out-point or counter through Svalblod pings.

Sigrdrifa may not seem worth the investment in many matches – but she is really for consistency rather than value – by helping win the third round when neither player has anything left, or by salvaging a match where Svalblod is threatened (by replaying the defender) or prematurely destroyed (by returning Svalblod himself).

I use defender to protect Svalblod. If Heatwave takes out the scenario, there are usually still enough boosts for the Preachers to have a strong round – and I would rather see Heatwave used on scenario than Totem or Svalblod.

Conclusion: I have found this deck competitive except against decks with huge amounts of control. It takes a little practice to master the deck – there are a lot of unexpected intricacies with timing and general match strategy. But it is different, and I at least, enjoy its play. I hope you do too.

Deck List: Find the deck list here.

TWIN SHIELDS – SO LAST YEAR

General:

This deck, at first glance, is a boring rendition of a bygone meme. And that assessment isn’t too far off! It plays only two copies of a single card (Knight Errant) from Year of the Cursed Toad, and a third that was updated that year (Windhalm). Yet somehow, it feels like a perfect fit in the current meta – hyper-greedy and hard to contain.

Honestly, it’s age shows. In point generation, it just can’t keep up with the best, current decks and the bulk of its strategy is predictable. But it holds a unique twist that keeps it viable – a double Ciri! Both Ceri’s are readily supported by handy shields, and most opposing decks, at best, have the tools to handle only one. With an extra card or two, power creep is less problematic. And unless restrained, King Roegner is a killer closer.

Combos:

Quen/Dash – Although Quen can be used, if necessary, in round 1 to draw vanilla Ciri, he shines drawing Ciri: Dash. But be careful. Quen has adrenaline 4 and Dash has timer 4 – Quen is ideally played final round when there are exactly 5 cards in hand. Only then does he both give Dash a shield and allow time for Dash to trigger before you pass.

Damned Sorceresses/Shields – The big issue with Sorceresses is that they are anti-synergistic with Roegner. Use them in different rounds than Roegner with units able to regenerate shields or to benefit from surplus shields. Try to use Immortal Calvary in conjunction with a Damned Sorceress. Also, be aware that this deck can generate surplus shields – do take advantage of them.

Drummer/Strenger – while Strenger can be inspired by a leader charge if necessary, Drummer gives an organic way to both meet Strenger’s inspiration condition and create two engines that make one another harder to remove. Egmund can be used in place of Drummer with the same effect.

Donimir/anything – Donimir can be used to protect any strong card worth keeping alive. Normally, one of the Ciris is top priority, followed by Vysogota. Ideally, Roegner is played with final say and needs no protection. But in the current meta, much of the tall punish is in the form of Igne, Schirru, or Curse of Corruption, against which defender is useless anyway.

Vysogota/anything – Vysogota can provide boost where it is most needed. Use him to support vulnerable engines, to help units (especially Knight Errant) meet grace conditions, and to play around Schirru (esp. on Ciri) and tall punish in as many forms as possible.

Tactics:

Aside from the very minor impact of Botchling, this deck has no control. The bulk of your planning needs to be on the long-term (strategic) level. Tactics basically revolve around playing to minimize the impact of possible opponent control and optimizing points.

Baiting removal (especially locks) by providing juicy, but not critical targets (like Windhalm) early is a classic tactic. This deck has more engines than most opponents can control, so use them freely.

Playing around threats is relatively easy with this deck as you can place boosts and shields everywhere. Consider row effects, tall removal, locks, damage pings, etc. and play to minimize their effects.

Optimize points with sequencing. Unless playing around a threat, develop faster (2 point per turn) engines first, then work toward the slower engines. Be aware that some cards (like Drummer) are not engines until they have a target, so develop the target first.

Strategy:

Clearly, your major win condition is Roegner’s massive size after removing many shields. But remember that a match requires winning two rounds – always think in terms of how you will claim those two rounds.

The threat of vanilla Ciri can often have as much value its execution. If you play Ciri – even while ahead, many opponents – at least those unable to cope with her in other ways – will pass rather than yield a card, thus giving you one round. Or, if they do address Ciri, normally it is a trade up in tempo for you – which might also be enough to take the round. And if they do win the round without dealing with Ciri, the loss of a card will often entice a round two dry-pass.

I also like to slam many of my big engines (Windhalm, Strenger, Immortal Cavalry/Sorceress) in hope of enticing a round 1 pass. If that pass comes when I still hold vanilla Ciri, I can often leverage her into card advantage with a soft bleed.

If I lose round 1, Dash can be quite helpful to defend a bleed – thus I rarely play round 1 below 2 cards. Unless an opponent can counter Dash, they typically pass before she triggers, allowing me to preserve Roegner.

Consistency:

This deck has no consistency tools, and this is a deficiency. It does have substantial point potential – the only cards I dread missing are the two Ciri’s and the Roegner – and even missing one of the Ciris is rarely disastrous. But if you don’t draw Roegner by round 2, you need to seriously consider what you will do to win without him – and this should inform your round 2 play.

The other big consistency issue to watch is the possibility of bricking Quen – his only targets are the two Ciri’s. Guarding against this brick may mean avoiding your final mulligan unless you are desperate.

Conclusion: This deck spotlights the two Ciri’s; they are the reason I share it and without them, it would be a boring deck. I enjoy the deck, despite its lack of tactical play, because of the strategic richness the Ciris add to the deck. Try it, and I think you will be amazed at how two Ciris interact to add an interesting dynamic to most matches.

Decklist: The deck can be found here.

ALCHEMICAL GOLD (March 2023 update)

Deck Theme:

Bonded Crow Clan Preachers with multiple alchemy cards provide a huge number of points. After the patch 11.3 change to Iron Falcon Troubadour, it is possible to supply adequate preachers to use this theme in multiple rounds. Combined with multiple cards that spawn alchemy spells, the deck is capable of substantial point output in every round.

Preliminary Comments:

In many ways, this deck evolved from an earlier deck I had presented in this thread (Ouch). Although that deck played well, with two strong rounds, it was not cohesive, and even with two expensive tutors, it lacked the consistency I prefer. I had been tinkering to convert that deck to a true druid deck without success – I just couldn’t create enough Crow Clan Preachers consistently enough. When I read the change to Iron Falcon Troubadour in patch notes 11.3, I thought there might be a solution; after a little experimentation, I am satisfied with the result.

I am honestly surprised not to see more attempts at this type of deck from top level players. Patch 11.3 didn’t offer huge numbers of viable changes, and this use of Iron Falcon Troubadour seems obvious.

Core Cards:
  • Crow Clan Preacher generators: Crow Clan Preachers (x2), Fucusya (other options occasionally better), In Gedyneith’s Shadow, The Mushy Truffle, Sigrdrifa’s Rite, Freya’s Blessing (x2), Iron Falcon Troubadour (x2 – especially with Mahakam Ale).
  • Alchemy cards: Sigrdrifa’s Rite, Delirium, Freya’s Blessing (x2), Mardroeme, Mahakam Ale (x2), Crow’s-eye Rhizome
  • Alchemy card producers: In Gedyneith’s Shadow (two alchemy triggers), Fulmar, The Mushy Truffle, Bride of the Sea, Ermion, Axel Three-Eyes, Dwimveandra (x2 – with Gedyneith or with Truffle), Crow Clan Druid (x2)
  • Druids: Fulmar, Crowmother, Ermion, Axel Three-Eyes, Crow Clan Druid (x2), Crow Clan Preacher (x2)
  • Crow generators: In Gedyneith’s Shadow, Crowmother, Axel Three-Eyes, Crow’s-eye Rhizome
Deck Play:

Because the deck has no tutoring and little thinning, play requires some adjustment to actual draw, but, with appropriate adaptation to match circumstance, the deck is very consistent – virtually every hand has huge point potential and that point potential does not require the “big” cards. But it is key not to overcommit that potential in rounds where it is not needed. I general try to avoid using both Gedyneith and Truffle in the same round (unless it is the final round), and generally find that 2 active copies (occasionally 3) of Crow Clan Preacher is sufficient in the first two rounds.

This is, in many ways, a classical “greedy” deck with lots of points and little control. However, its engines are numerous and can be very hard to control – it does not hinge upon particular cards or combinations. Moreover, it outpoints almost everything but has flexibility across rounds to strategically address most decks it can’t outpoint. It does prefer medium to long rounds as several engines take two or three turns to get started; however, it can set up a good short round as well. Generally, given a choice, I will play for a long round 3 with two major exceptions. A small handful of decks are even more greedy (MO thrive, NG Cultists). As this deck can almost always force out big threats and outperforms them in a short round, I will bleed. Heavy removal can be inimical to the deck. Luckily, it has a surplus of hefty point generation – use it to bait out and, if necessary, bleed out removal. Watch out for Xavier Lemmens as he can kill a lot of those points given enough time.

It is normally not necessary to win round 1, but it is necessary to force commitment. Play as deeply as you reasonably can.

Because the deck is greedy by nature, you rarely should make greedy in-match choices. Sacrifice points to play around dangers such as Schirru or quick removal of Preachers while they are still at low power.

Cards and Combinations:

There are a few caveats with this deck. Despite similarities with crow decks, it is not one – Axel is almost always used melee row. And the deck can over spawn in long rounds – do not overdo crow producing cards and plan your row utilization as many cards have row-locked abilities. And plan use of Crow Clan Druids carefully: you need an alchemy card in the graveyard and you need a crow to sacrifice.

Against heavy removal decks, bait removal on cards that are not critical. It is generally better to lose Gedyneith to Heatwave than to lose Truffle – Dwimveandras are more efficient with Truffle and Truffle has Resilience to provide carry-over. Melusine’s primary value is its threat to be reborn with a large body – it has few useful synergies otherwise, but it is great bait. Fulmar’s main value is after Fucusya has played a four provision Preacher (although he does get secondary value from Alchemy triggers). He can be good bait as well.

Although there are exceptions, I like Fucusya on a Crow Clan Preacher. The Preacher generally becomes a dangerous engine, and 6 rounds of rain is great both for its basic damage and for its synergy with Fulmar and Bride of the Sea.

Mahakam Ale is wonderful for locked Preachers – and it is an alchemy trigger. If necessary, I do not hesitate to use Ermion to play it.

Similarly, Sigrdrifa is also often of best value on a Preacher (because it summons rather than plays, it triggers the Preacher’s boost on the turn it is used).

Finally, be careful of required cards. The deck has few cards to generate crows, but Crow Clan Druids require them. And while there are generally ample druids in the deck, druids are not so prevalent that triggering Gedyneith is a given. Be careful not to brick yourself – especially in short rounds.

Potential Modifications:

Unlike most decks, key cards here are bottom-heavy. Almost all the low provision cards play a significant role. Mardroeme and Delirium are dispensable (although I cannot find better alternatives).

At the top end, Fucusya, Fulmar, Melusine, Crowmother, Sigrdrifa’s Rite, Bride of the Sea, and Ermion all seem optional. From experience, I am often grateful for Crowmother and Ermion. Crowmother’s carry over is often the difference between needing another card or not. Ermion not only adds value to an alchemy card play, he also provides occasionally useful tutoring – especially for Mahakam Ale.

Sigrdrifa’s Rite and Bride of the Sea are fairly cheap and give more alchemy; I cannot think of better choices. That leaves Fucusya, Fulmar, and Melusine (three of the deck’s 6 highest provision cards!) as reasonable targets for substitution. And there are things I would like – namely more control options and possibly a defender (to guard my Preachers). But this trio does give a lot of point potential and baiting opportunity – so far, I like it better than the options I have tried. While cards like Fulmar and Bride of the Sea may appear out of place with little rain synergy, they do play alchemy cards providing both synergies and tempo – they fit well, just not as typically expected. Melusine also seems weird with no self-wound targets (although leader ability healing offset this a bit), but I appreciate having the replay threat. Diverting attention from (or having alternatives to) Preachers is a benefit.

Conclusion: This deck, although nuanced, is not difficult to play, and I have had considerable success with it. It is one of the most consistent and dangerous decks I have experienced. If you try it, or something similar, please share your experience.

Deck: You can find the deck here.

Quirky Decks: Spendthrift

Introduction:

I hate Syndicate. The coin mechanism is tedious – counting and remembering counting. And fragile. Built with the wrong mix of earners and spenders, a deck flops. Draw the wrong mix and the deck flops. The few decks that work often revolve around the same cards and similar plans of play. But at least the art is colorful.

I am also open to surprise. This deck surprised me. I didn’t think the Syndicate cards in patch 11.4 were playable; I didn’t think the Syndicate faction was playable; I certainly didn’t think playing Syndicate could be fun.

I have changed my mind. While this deck is certainly not meta quality, it’s viable in most match-ups. It’s strategic. Consideration of the future is crucial to every play. It’s tactical. It has enough removal to handle normal threat levels (albeit often with creativity) without so much removal that play becomes mindless and uninteractive. As far as I have seen, it’s unique. Playing it reminds me of the good ole days of Gwent – before engines became so powerful they had to be removed; before removal became so prevalent that only the uncounterable became playable. It is far from the best deck in my arsenal, but it is the most fun.

Deck Theme:

The Syndicate cards from patch 11.4 revolve around repeatedly spending all one’s coins – this deck was originally designed to make that concept work. Doing so created further themes.

I wanted a lot of spenders to always have ability to spend coins – stockpiling, then spending won’t fit. I especially want cards with fee 1 and no cooldown, for these cards can be used to lower my coin count to any value desired. This creates a second theme – readily available, but not highly efficient, spenders.

Lined Pockets seemed the perfect leader: it grants coins in one-unit increments to precisely manage the coin total; it has 6 charges, many opportunities to tweak the coin count (or provide coins for explosives). And unlike other leaders, it doesn’t primarily support mechanisms (like hoard) that want accumulations of coins. But Lined Pockets suggests Crime cards. And thus, Crimes became a focus, which made intimidate good.

These multiple, interconnected themes (with none dominant), create a very flexible deck. There is no dominant win con. There is no set strategy. There is a set-up/payoff cycle, but, consistent with other deck traits, that cycle is short term. Success generally revolves around finding combinations of cards that generate adequate control and solid points.

The Cards:

A unique feature of this deck is that no cards are really essential. Different cards become the heroes in different match-ups. I suppose Casimir and Eveline are important for the deck feel, but I don’t know that even they are important for its success.

Anyway, I will, card-by-card discuss my rationale for inclusion.
  • Jaques – It is often hard to effectively spend provisions in an SY deck. Jaques is an excellent premium card that provides both quick tempo and provides a precise spender.
  • Casimir Bassi – a new card that both inspires and flavors the deck.
  • Sigi Reuven – another premium card that gives great value – the coin infusion often powers important removal.
  • Tinboy – a row punish tech to effectively use surplus provisions. I rarely tribute it.
  • Cleaver – Cleaver is a very strong card in this deck. He provides another good tempo play; he provides an extra crime; he converts coins to high quality points with better efficiency than most spenders; he is a dangerous intimidate engine.
  • Whoreson Junior – valuable removal both on deploy and as a finisher using fee. Especially helpful to choose removal after Brawler softens multiple targets.
  • Bincy Bummerholdt – good point potential if she survives. When destroyed, she often draws removal away from more critical cards.
  • Boris – originally included as part of the spend-all-coins archetype. I honestly don’t think he is worth the provisions in this deck, but I haven’t tried replacing him.
  • Tavern Brawl – surprisingly handy removal in a crime card – especially when decks go tall.
  • Eveline Gallo –another deck-defining card.
  • Sir Skewertooth – significant point potential at low cost. Hard to deal with when immune.
  • Payday (x2) – best 5-provision removal and a crime card.
  • Open Sesame! (x2) – good point/provision value, potential carryover, and fits deck themes.
  • Coerced Blacksmith (x2) – a critical cheap but precise spender.
  • Dip in the Pontar (x2) – coins, removal, crime
  • Eventide Plunder (x2) – nice flexibility, spare spender, potential coins
  • Bare-Knuckle Brawler (x2) – critical cheap, precision spender, with handy removal.
  • Oxenfurt Guard – fits original theme, can be efficient spender
  • Eternal Fire Disciple – efficient if slow spender, tag for Sigi
Deck Strategy:

There is no particular card sequence for this deck – almost anything can be used at almost any point. Because there are no consistency cards, I generally don’t like extremely short final rounds simply because of the risk of poor draws, but otherwise the deck is not particularly vulnerable. My strategy is usually based upon using whatever cards I draw as efficiently as possible – engines early in rounds I hope to be long, removal to stop potentially dangerous threats, etc.

Mulligans are important to maintain balance and have useful combinations. I want to distribute profiters and spenders across three rounds, and to distribute removal as much as possible. I try to avoid having too many crimes in a single round (especially those that do not generate units) – hence, I prefer to use some no-unit cards in round one. And it is important to always consider what you will need for an effective round 3; balance resources used earlier with likely demands of round 3.

In an ideal round one, I begin with Bincy (cashing two leader charges to make removal harder), then to spend those two coins next round to tribute Skewertooth. Usually crime cards with a cheap spender will then carry the round.

I will bleed round two if an opposing deck gives me cause to do so; usually I am content to enter a long round 3. I prefer to use Jaques in round three if possible, most other cards I use as needed and when drawn.

Conclusion:

This is a bit of an odd-ball deck. It doesn’t seem to have a lot of removal potential, but it shuts down most opponents; it doesn’t seem to have a lot of points, but it keeps on scoring; it has no consistency tools, but it plays very consistently; it doesn’t seem to have great cards or killer strategy, but it still emerges on top. Give it a whirl for a change of pace.

Deck Location:

Find the deck here.

Stolen Magic (May 2023 update)

Sometimes it is hard to play with an open mind. We all experience cards/combos we hate – usually because they are OP or binary. There are entire archetypes I find distasteful – usually because they are inherently inconsistent, predictable, or boring. And there are factions I dislike because they tend to gravitate towards elements I dislike. For me, Scoia’tael is one of those factions; elves are one of those archetypes; and Feign Death, Simlas, Heist, and Vernossiel are some of those cards.

It is ironic that one of my most enjoyed decks in my time playing Gwent contains that faction, that archetype, and all of those cards. The most difficult challenge for me finding this deck was getting past my dislike of many of its elements.

Deck Theme:

The deck began with two ideas – ideas that clearly fit together in a common archetype (elves). The first was to effectively use the new Heist card in a way that wanted it for its intrinsic value (and not just a meme that involves playing Simlas into 19 Waylays – yes, that is technically possible!) The second was to use all the ST “create a unit” special cards (Bountiful Harvest and Backup Plan).

The result is an all-elves deck that is generally competitive, tactically rich, strategically versatile, creative in play – and that I find mostly non-toxic.

Deck Characteristics:

The deck has weaknesses to heavy removal as it relies on having units on board for future value and to greedy decks with multiple “remove-or-lose” type cards as this deck has limited amounts of on-demand control. But this deck does generate a lot of points and gains significant reach as a round gets longer. And the deck has a significant number of cards that play for 10+ points in a three-card round – it might prefer medium to long rounds, but it does not fear a short round. The steam rolling reach allows the deck either to push round 1 hard while trading up on provisions, or to favorably defend a round 2 bleed.

Moreover, the deck does not rely on a particular card order or win condition. Anything can be played anytime its strategic contribution is appropriate. Although it has no tutors and minimal thinning, this enables the deck to be very draw-consistent. It does require careful adaptation to the current match situation – but that is part of why I enjoy the deck. Every match is unique, tactics are often creative, and strategy is relevant to success.

Core Cards:
  • The Heist – a card around which much of the deck was built. It can be used twice (thanks to echo) but beware of possible loss to graveyard hate.
  • Isengrim Faoiltiarna, Toruviel, Vernossiel, Yaevinn, Ciaran ap Easnillen – primary Cargo targets (in order of usual value). Toruviel, Yaevinn, and Ciaran are three of the deck’s four best removal tools. (Simlas with Backup Plan is the fourth.)
  • Dol Blathanna Bomber, Scoia’tael Neophyte, Trickster – secondary Cargo targets, but elves generated by Backup Plan can also be considered. Neophytes can use cargoes immediately (on summoned units) if the tempo is critical.
  • Simlas, Bountiful Harvest, Backup Plan – the other core deck concept. Simlas can be used for either special card, but I generally prefer Backup Plan both for removal and for usefulness of cards created. Good, on-demand tempo.
  • Feign Death – good point-provision ration that trades up to all counters. Also supports Vernossial and Toruviel. Because every card in the deck (other than Heist and Feign Death itself) triggers a chapter, it can be used late in rounds without bricking.
  • Telianyn aep Collen – great short round value that can also allow re-use of important cards. Be aware that he can (with fair probability) simply play back the card returned to deck so re-use in later rounds is not guaranteed.
  • Sorceress of Dol Blathanna – good point/provision ratio, supports both elven and magic deck themes, decoy value.
  • Vrihedd Sappers – tech against defenders, locks, poisons etc., but very useful to remove prepared statuses and allow cargoes to double target a good card.
  • Vernossiel’s Commando – inexpensive elven engine, one of relatively few proactive initial plays.
Deck Play:

There is no pre-defined card order, no firm win conditions and no set-in-stone closer for this deck. Play always depends upon the matchup and the board/match state. Managing commitment, being strategically attuned, and being creative in tactics are essential elements of playing the deck well.

Because no cards absolutely must be preserved for round three, any card in hand can be considered at any point – although some cards like Isengrim clearly benefit from full boards. It is normally best to begin rounds with something noncommittal like Commandos or Sorceresses and then scale your commitment with your opponent’s. As many of your cards benefit from full board states, and others like scenario, Heist, and Telianyn spread value over two or three rounds, it is very possible to get a powerful crescendo of points toward the end of medium and long rounds. Use this to gain advantage by either forcing an unwary opponent to overcommit or winning early rounds under favorable conditions. Do not be afraid to make a commitment yourself to force an opponent into awkward decisions.

Because the deck is very strategically flexible, always consider long-term strategy. You rarely “must” win round 1. If your opponent commits heavily, let them have it. The deck defends both value bleeds and 2-0 attempts very well and you usually go up a card on deep bleeds unless the opponent also bleeds themselves – in which case your round 3 will be solid. If your opponent does not commit enough early in round 1, you can usually win it cheaply. Bleed round two if your draw gives good 2-0 potential or if you believe your opponents deck would have a dangerous round 2. As you consider bleeding, also consider the relative commitment your opponent will need to carry round 2.

Play Specifics:
  • Be careful of overspawning. It is possible to fill all rows in a long round. But this can actually be useful against NG rot spam.
  • Vernossiel often plays better backrow than front – especially without the cards generated by the scenario.
  • Don’t forget that Toruviel needs a Deadeye for full value. Don’t be afraid to use a leader charge to get one – especially if you are also going to use a cargo on Toruviel.
  • Be careful of timing to use all Cargoes effectively (which might mean saving a bad card for the final play) but be aware that sometimes it is better to use a cargo suboptimally to improve the boardstate for a card.
  • Sappers can set up extra uses of cargo on a single target by purifying the prepared infusion. They are often an excellent final card.
  • Beware of graveyard hate and possible removal of major cards when planning strategy.
  • Simlas (into Backup Plan) can usually remove a 6 power (sometimes higher) target. It is your only early round removal option (Ciaran can help with a lock, however). Consider the need for future removal before committing him.
  • Special cards are primarily for Simlas. You have only two options to avoid bricking him; be aware of that in both play and mulligan choice.
  • Cargos can also be used for board manipulation: filling space, avoiding adjacent units, etc.
  • Heist, although a core card, need not always be played. A short round, or a round without good targets might be better off without it.

A Note on Scoia’tael Toxicity:

I earlier commented on aspects of ST that I strongly dislike; let me comment on how this deck avoids my dislikes. My dislike of a faction or archetype is usually due to a dearth of decks that I find competitive, interesting, are not too random, and do not contain objectionable cards/combos. This deck, by being none of these trumps my general distaste for the faction and archetype.

Thus, I will address the objectionable cards. Vernossiel is a card that is fine provided a reasonable cap on generating Deadeyes is in place. It becomes OP when too many Deadeyes are created too efficiently. This only happens with the specific combination of Simlas into 4 Waylays with an elf leader and Feign Death to boot. With no Vanadain in the deck, this deck doesn’t fall into that degeneracy.

My objection to Heist is twofold: its ability to create still more Waylays (not an issue without Vanadain) and the possibility of its being OP. This deck does not use multiple Waylays (negating that objection). Since I have no experience to actually gauge the power of Heist (I’ve only encountered it in very binary Vanadain memes and in non-competitive dwarf decks), I consider this deck as a test to evaluate Heist’s real effectiveness. So far, I would describe it as very strong, but not out of step with numerous other strong cards – not so OP as to be unethical.

My objection to Feign Death (and all scenarios) is that I feel they create too many points for a single (largely uninteractive) card. While that position has not really changed, powercreep is allowing me to change the original scenario’s evaluation from OP to distasteful. Given it is not a focus of the deck, I will live with it.

And that leaves Simlas. While I would argue that the Vanadain/Waylay/Simlas combination is OP, this deck does not use it. I also object to Simlas because he is too central to too many decks. But while I continue to maintain that overreliance on Simlas is good reason to seek changes to either the faction or the card, I don’t see it as a reason to avoid using the card.

Conclusion:

This deck, because of its lack of fixed match plan, is a bit tricky to play. But I find that challenge to also be the joy of the deck. I hope you do as well.

Deck Location:

You can find a copy of the deck here.

Five Dragons (May 2023 update)

Dragons won’t work. That was my original reaction to patch 11.5’s dragon updates. Dragons don’t work. That was my reaction after trying 3 variants of an ST dragon deck. Too many provisions for too few points. Chapter closed.

I was wrong: wrong faction, wrong conclusions. I won’t guarantee this deck is meta quality, but it is good enough to beat some meta decks – and it’s a lot more fun than those decks. I was surprised.

Deck Theme:

The title pretty much tells the story. There are four neutral and one Monster dragon; all are included. But it’s the supporting cast that gives this deck a unique and interesting feel. I originally envisioned a few big cards with lots of specials (supporting a Keltullis archetype). But then I migrated to cards that called for cheap sacrifice – hence, the unexpected Fruits of Ysgith leader. The result is a point-slammy, removal heavy conglomerate with carryover that works quite well.

Core Cards:
  • Keltullis, Villentretenmerth, Ocvist, Myrgtabrakke, Saesenthessis: Blaze – the five dragons
  • Imlerith’s Wrath, Parasite, Tempist, Predatory Dive (x2), Hideous Feast (x2), Dancing Star, Natural Selection – Special card based removal
  • Wagon (x2) – Aside from dragons, the Wagons are perhaps the most distinctive feature of the deck. Carryover gives some level of strategic control to a deck that wants short rounds as it often forces an opponent to either bleed or lose a card.
  • Griffin (x2), Megascope – Point slam
  • Cyclops (x2), Rotfiend (x2) – Unit based removal
  • Giant Toad, Endrega Warrior – Extra consumes and support for Keltullis.
Deck Play:

In general, this is a pointslam type deck. It has enough removal to compete with most engine decks, but it requires a great deal of care. Like most pointslam decks, it prefers short to mid-length rounds.

Be careful not to push round 1 too hard against engine decks unless your removal was sufficient to handle the engines. But generally, you want to push round 1 as hard as you are able without losing cards or overcommitting.

If you win round 1, you will almost always want to bleed round 2 unless either your cards or your opponent’s deck strongly suggests otherwise. Use sound judgment on commitment – you have several sizable cards, but once they are used, you have little reserve. Also, use judgment on your removal cards. Predatory Dive generally must take what it can, otherwise, as much as possible, save removal for cards that matter.

If you must lose round 1, try to get Wagon carryover. My usual wagon targets are Fruits (with no intention of using the order), but don’t be afraid to use them opportunistically on other targets (like enemy spies). Carryover that forces a round 2 bleed is almost as good as bleeding yourself.

The deck has no provisions for tutors – you must plan based upon what you have, and you should expect to sometimes miss drawing one or even two dragons. Both Villentretenmerth and Kultullis require planning to use well. Keltullis is ideal when you go second with no carryover. You will often choose to forgo Fruits to get Keltullis value (or to prevent an opponent from comfortably playing a card). On the other hand, you can use Fruits to protect more valuable units from Keltullis if you get maneuvered into having too many units. And Myrgtabrakke is not just a dragon tutor – it has nice removal; use its charges to maximize the effectiveness of other removal. Be sure you have a card to return that you won’t want.

Conclusion:

This is another deck that is a bit tricky to play well: you must use long term strategy to gain the types of rounds this deck manages well. Recognizing and avoiding overcommitment while forcing an opponent’s actions is important. And you must use careful tactics to maximize points while getting points when needed.

Deck Location:

Find the deck here.

Many thanks for the "Stolen Magic" deck! It's really fun to play, it's flexible, has many strategic options, and it's not that much draw dependent. I have 100% winrate with it so far (10 games, both training and ranked). I've been struggling to create a decent "heist" deck, well, this deck solved my problem in the best possible way :giggle:

DRK3

Forum veteran
Hello everyone. I've been away from Gwent since the beginning of this year, but i watched a LOT of Gwent streams on twitch for the past 2 days, and i got tired of all seeing all the ogroids, so i told myself: "hmm maybe i could theorycraft a meme deck, even though there's a lot of new cards i don't know" and post it on the forums, and challenge @quintivarium and EVERYONE ELSE to give it a go, in my stead. :shrug:

BTW, sorry quinti i hijacked your thread and didnt even ask for permission, this was a spontaneous decision. I didnt use my old threads as i dont think they should be revived if im not testing the decks myself.

Warning: the deck is probably terrible and could be optimized, because im out of touch, and because outside the deckbuilder its much harder to plan and do all the math manually :giveup:

FUNERAL MACHINEGUNS

Leader: Patricidal Fury (165p)
Stratagem: Mask of Uroboros

1x Fucusya (14p)
1x Svalblod (13p)
1x Magic Compass (10p)
1x Delirium (8p)
1x Coral (8p)
1x Birna Bran (8p)
1x Naval Supremacy (8p)
1x Idarran (8p)
1x Harald Houndsnout (7p)
1x Sigfried (7p)
1x Hym (7p)
1x Offering to the Sea (7p)
1x Champion's Charge (7p)
2x Skirmishers (5p)
2x Feral Bond (5p)
1x Freya's Blessing (5p)
2x Funeral Boats (4p)
2x Seagull (4p)
1x Skjald (4p)
2x Megascope (4p)

This deck is meant to be a throwback to one of my all time favourites, from early Gwent Homecoming - 'Arachas Vran Machineguns'.
Basically, i fell in love with the new funeral boats, and thought you could recreate that old deck since this new SK card behaves a lot like those old Vran Warriors, but even better, since they dont count only units but every single card that goes in EITHER graveyard. Awesome.

It will probably fail, like the original also did, because it requires a long round, you take a long time doing all the setup and there shouldnt be any control on your engines (funeral boats) or messing with the board state you build.
The goal of the deck is to do a wipeout of the enemy board with insane amounts of damage done by ideally 3-4 Funeral boats, where you setup a lot of 1pt units (Leader, Harald skulls, Seagulls) and you MUST purify them with sigfried, because they are all tokens and therefore, doomed, and doomed units wont go to the graveyard, but then you use either Svalblod or Offering to the sea to do 1dmg to everything, and it should create a situation close to the Apocalypse. :oops:

Also, Hym should be a lot of fun with all the giant ogroids going around (naval supremacy should instantly ping them so they're damaged).
The pressure points are:
- i am not sure if the deck thins enough to get magic compass to below 3 on R3, as its supposed to do. But Both compass and delirium should work well with funeral boats either way.
- Idarran spawns 1pt units, from megascopes on funeral boats (which is a very slow play), and they will probably be killed with the board damage, so either heal or protect those untis or cut idarran for something else, as 2 funeral boats may be enough (and they can be revived).

Please give it a go, have some fun and share some screenshots of the results!

@DRK3
How do you win 2 rounds with the deck? It certainly has interesting effects, but I cannot win either of the first two rounds without committing the stuff I need for round three. It may just be me, playing something very different from my usual. It may also be my cursed luck — I can never draw a discard package — but I will worry about not thinning for compass after I can win an early round.

DRK3

Forum veteran
@DRK3
How do you win 2 rounds with the deck? It certainly has interesting effects, but I cannot win either of the first two rounds without committing the stuff I need for round three. It may just be me, playing something very different from my usual. It may also be my cursed luck — I can never draw a discard package — but I will worry about not thinning for compass after I can win an early round.

Damn it, i thought i had warn about this being a "one round kind of deck" in my post, but apparently i didnt. I did warn it would probably be hard to win with it, and that's the reason i had in mind, but apparently i forgot to point it out... :giveup:

Still, i think my "one round" decks work better in SK because of the discard package, that was always the first round strategy, its unusual if you dont get access to it in R1 repeatedly, as someone who deeply understands statistics and probabilities you probably know SK is one of the most consistent factions and it should have no trouble getting what it needs.

Also, just to clarify: you can virtually commit anything to winning early rounds, due to SK's ability to revive cards. The single card that can not be committed earlier is Sigfried, if you want a complete board setup, as he's essential to that plan.
The funeral boats can be revived by freya's blessing or fucusya, svalblod and offering to the sea are interchangeable, delirium and magic compass can also be used on early rounds (although ideally you want Fucusya, Svalblod and Sigfried on hand IF you play compass, as you dont want to be forced to play those earlier than expected).

Also, im not sure the meta is as full of ogroids as i supposed, from watching streamers, if not, and Hym is not getting good value, it can be replaced with something for more consistency, like a Maxii.

Top Bottom