Quiz -- Which character of the Witcher world are you?

+
PsyCoil said:
Very manipulative and very intelligent ruler, Several times you can read in the books how he sabotaged many plots against him. If I'm not mistaken, He also got a successor.

I must agree with my friend here. Emhyr is incredibly interesting character and a worthy opponent for Geralt in the saga. Intelligent villain, and definitely one of my favourite characters :)

Freesia said:
I must agree with my friend here. Emhyr is incredibly interesting character and a worthy opponent for Geralt in the saga. Intelligent villain, and definitely one of my favourite characters :)
An excellent foil for the hero ... but not necessarily someone you want to BE like. ;)

PsyCoil said:
P.S.
I do hope we'll get to see a lot of him in TW3, Or maybe even see him in the upcoming EE *wishful thinking* *sniff* and that the 3rd war will be on a much bigger scale that the second.

Maybe in the outro.

Picture this:
We see the Nilfgaardian army fording the yaruga, with black sun banners all over the place.

Fade to black

Then

Emhyr Var Emreis himself in a similar pose.

.....I want TW3 now.

Corylea said:
An excellent foil for the hero ... but not necessarily someone you want to BE like. ;)

Why not??? he is extremely intelligent and he is the perfect leader, also he does what it takes to achieve greatness and avoid utter disaster... saying anything else would be a spoiler so I'll just leave it at that...

Also... to the dude that was saying that Sapkowski butchered the Bonhart character... well that may be true... he is a very sick person and he is obsessed but Sapkowski did such a good job with him in the other books that the last book didn't ruined his character for me... I c how others may have another opinions. And he is the best swordsman in the Witcher Universe ;)

KnightofPhoenix said:
Maybe in the outro.

Picture this:
We see the Nilfgaardian army fording the yaruga, with black sun banners all over the place.

*snip*

That reminds me of another scene...

An EPIC sea battle showing the Nilfgaardians crushing a few northern ships would be better.
BTW this is a better portray of him:

I am hoping Nilfgaard is going to be more interesting and mature than these overgrown big bad evil space bugs.

I don't know if Nilfgaard's invasion had a naval component to it, but it might this time around.

EDIT: Don't like that portrait. Based on Christian Bale. Not that I dislike him, but he lacks the flair of a mastermind, imo. The portrait I showed was that of Moriarty of course.

WoW that portrait of Emhyr is very very good, he looks a lot like Bale, tho in my head Emhyr is younger, someone states that he is younger than Foltest so maybe because of that... :shrug:

60 said:
Why not??? he is extremely intelligent and he is the perfect leader, also he does what it takes to achieve greatness and avoid utter disaster... saying anything else would be a spoiler so I'll just leave it at that...
Because the spoiler material is what takes him beyond the realm of normal Machiavellianism and into something most people would find abhorrent at a deeply personal level. His "Moriarty" qualities--that's a great image, KnightofPhoenix--are spectacular. Regardless, as Corylea said, he's a brilliant foil for Geralt & co.

KnightofPhoenix said:
I am hoping Nilfgaard is going to be more interesting and mature than these overgrown big bad evil space bugs.

I don't know if Nilfgaard's invasion had a naval component to it, but it might this time around.

EDIT: Don't like that portrait. Based on Christian Bale. Not that I dislike him, but he lacks the flair of a mastermind, imo. The portrait I showed was that of Moriarty of course.

Just reminded me of that scene, How they are marching the Yaruga than? Swimming?
Can't see the resemblance to Christian Bale, If anything, To Littlefinger from GOT.

kyogen said:
Because the spoiler material is what takes him beyond the realm of normal Machiavellianism and into something most people would find abhorrent at a deeply personal level. His "Moriarty" qualities--that's a great image, KnightofPhoenix--are spectacular. Regardless, as Corylea said, he's a brilliant foil for Geralt & co.

I assume you are talking about him wanting to marry his own daughter?
Well the prophecy is tempting and I don't think the issue has as much stigma as it does in our contemporary world (what Foltest did might have been controversial, but no one seemed to care enough to condemn him).

kyogen said:
Just reminded me of that scene, How they are marching the Yaruga? Swimming?
Can't see the resemblance to Christian Bale, If anything, To Littlefinger from GOT.

http://miho24.deviantart.com/art/Emhyr-var-Emreis-128410389

If you read the comments, the author said he / she was inspired by Bale.

As for the Yaruga, I think they are fording it or crossing bridges. I don't think it's worth bringing a fleet to cross it. But I don't know how big the yaruga is.

KnightofPhoenix said:
Maybe in the outro.

Picture this:

Fade to black

Then

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2012/033/7/c/professor_moriarty_at_the_opera_by_darkest_alchemy-d4ofn3m.jpg

Emhyr Var Emreis himself in a similar pose.

.....I want TW3 now.

That would be epic :D Now I hope they actually do something like that.

60 said:
Also... to the dude that was saying that Sapkowski butchered the Bonhart character... well that may be true... he is a very sick person and he is obsessed but Sapkowski did such a good job with him in the other books that the last book didn't ruined his character for me... I c how others may have another opinions. And he is the best swordsman in the Witcher Universe ;)
I preferred him as a cold-blooded professional than as a raping raging nutter he was later shown to be. Sadly, the degradation of villains affected also Vilgefortz, who previously was a extremely skillful and clever mastermind capable of fooling Emhyr and his fellow sorcerers - he ended up literally as a drooling madman. Your statement about him being the best swordsman in the Witcher world (after Geralt of course) reminded me of the long-lasting discussion within Polish fandom about the possibility of Bonhar being a witcher. He is that good! Speaking sorely of Emhyr, I didn't find him as fascinating as the rest from the board - I like my villains flawed and multidimensional while Emhyr somehow bordered on Mary Sue territories with his perfect plan, though Sapkowski mentioned he will be overthrown in a coup d'état... sounds like a good set up for W3 ending! ;-)

@PsyCoil: Littlefinger? Care to elaborate? I mean it's a rather unique and interesting comparison, I would love to hear more on that.

@KnightofPhoenix:
More like impregnating his own daughter, not just marry her. Since when it is not condemned in Witcher world? Foltest wanted to marry his sister, not Adda. Besides, no one knew he was her real father, so even if he had done that, no one would have objurgated. Whatever you look at it and no matter how much you want to justify it, it's still an utter horrible and disgusting immorality.

NabuchodonozorI said:
@PsyCoil: Littlefinger? Care to elaborate? I mean it's a rather unique and interesting comparison, I would love to hear more on that.

I mean the portrait, Just reminded me a bit of him with his face shape.

though Sapkowski mentioned he will be overthrown in a coup d'état... sounds like a good set up for W3 ending! ;-)

Where was that mentioned?

kyogen said:

the spoiler material is that he REFUSED to go beyond the realm of normal Machiavellianism and into something most people would find abhorrent at a deeply personal level. Why??? I like to think that he felt ashamed of himself, that he had a soul after all...

@KnightofPhoenix
Yes, I'm talking about the spoiler.
Foltest didn't go as far as Emhyr (the elder Adda was his sister, not his child, and presumably also capable of some form of consent), the nobility did oppose him forcefully and somewhat successfully (he had to give her up), and the political fallout from that situation surely helps fuel the rebelliousness of barons who "support" the La Valettes.

NabuchodonozorI said:
@KnightofPhoenix:
More like impregnating his own daughter, not just marry her. Since when it is not condemned in Witcher world? Foltest wanted to marry his sister, not Adda. Besides, no one knew he was her real father, so even if he had done that, no one would have objurgated. Whatever you look at it and no matter how much you want to justify it, it's still an utter horrible and disgusting immorality.

And what's the huge difference between impregnating a sister and impregnating a daughter? Same really. Preserving the purity of blood of a dynasty was something done often in our own history, condemned morally as an abomination later on.

It might be "immoral" and disgusting (as in eww), but not nearly enough for me to think he is horrible, especially when he is doing it for a goal and not out of lust.

60 said:
the spoiler material is that he REFUSED to go beyond the realm of normal Machiavellianism and into something most people would find abhorrent at a deeply personal level. Why??? I like to think that he felt ashamed of himself, that he had a soul after all...
I think he has a soul, but his refusal was not based on abhorrence of the act itself but rather on a flash of sentiment regarding a broken promise. It doesn't excuse or even really address the original intent. Look, I think he's a great character; I just can't put a stamp of approval on him that says it's ok to emulate him in every respect.

PsyCoil said:
Where was that mentioned?
It's never directly stated in the narration but you can deduced it thanks to two hints:

1. At the beginning of the chapter ten of TLoL, the biography of Estella Congreve, a prominent person on the Nilfgaardian court and close friend of Emhyr: it is stated she outlived him even though she knew him since he was young, ergo she must've been significantly older than him.

2. Morvran Voorhis, successor of Emhyr, is mentioned in the second book to sentence and imprison Peter Evertsen, the high treasurer of Nilfgaardian army (the beginning of the chapter fifth, a segment from encyclopedia). Since Evertsen was already working at this position during the second Nilfgaard invasion (and he is even included in the book), we can fairly assume Voorhis was crowded fairly recently after the war, which means Emhyr could not live and rule for so long. What is the most important though is that Voorhis candidature was proposed by conspirators - he was not a natural heir to Emhyr. Seems like they succeed in installing their own emperor after all.

Top Bottom