Radiant or Randomly Generated Repeatable Missions

+
Hello!

I was wondering if a moderator can create a thread for me? I tried using the search function but was unable to find a thread detailing my suggestion.
I originally made the suggestion on steam, but I would love it if the devs saw it, and saw that some from the community would like this suggestion.
Steam suggestion link:

Radiant or Randomly Generated Missions
I really enjoy the world of Cyberpunk, but once you have cleared the map there is little left to do. So I would like to suggest a radiant or random mission system.

Some tips for missions:
-Drive chase.
Your target is in a vehicle, drive them down and kill them.

-Street assassin.
Your target is walking on the streets of Night City with an entourage of bodyguards. Find them and kill them.

-Hack street target
Hack the target without getting noticed. Bonus for not getting noticed and leaving the target alive.

-Randomly spawned apartments and missions inside them that range from stealing, killing, to hacking.

-Mercenary work. Courtesy of ΣFFᄂЦX From steam.
Keep someone alive from point A to B,

Missions courtesy of Tanoomba at steam.
- I like the idea of thief missions where you need to find a particular object in a particular location (bonus for doing so without getting caught).

- Maybe finding random people who ask you to craft them a particular weapon or article of clothing?

- Taxi missions!

Thank you for your time and attention.

I'll write what I said in some other threads about that :)
No radiant or randomly generated quests, please. I hope CDPR will keep as announced, none.
(I find this kind of quests generally bad and above all, not interesting at all. In my opinion, it won't better than add more NCPD Scanner Hustles)

On other hand, add more "random" events to make the city more "alive", yes :)

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

Until a year ago I legitimately did not believe that people who love radiant quests exists. I always thought that their existence is a myth propagated by Bethesda to justify their godawful quest design. :shrug:

Until a year ago I legitimately did not believe that people who love radiant quests exists. I always thought that their existence is a myth propagated by Bethesda to justify their godawful quest design. :shrug:

To be honest, I though that about the MMO like systems with ton of random junk and nonsence perks but here we are...
Post automatically merged:

I do not mind if hey were there somehow, not in my way, if that makes someone happy. Same as with the apartments.

But I would prefer anything that would add to the stories of the city and the story of V. The best thing on this game are the enviroment, the characters and the music.

If we got some new repeatable bandit camps as part of story expansion... I would not mind. But if that would be the focus, that would be a letdown.

Last edited:
I am not saying this before real missions, but it could be a nice endgame feature, for when you have done all the real missions. There will always be a time when you run out of scripted or placed content, then random content will keep the game alive for longer.

The street assassination mission for example, it would be a great way to see the city and have some street fights.

I wonder what the developers think?

Sure. Done.
Thank you.

Last edited:
There are about 200 hidden stories "gems" all over the map.
I would bet no one reading this now found them all without using "help" from the internet.
I spent more than 40 after END GAME hours looking for these and that was WITH "help". Still have not got them all.
But it is a little boring doing it that way.

SO...

It would not be hard (for DEV or mod maker) to have a fixer give you info to help find the hidden gems and pay you to retrieve the data gem you get. These small PI type jobs payed for by family /friends are looking for the dead people in theses stories.

EASY 40 plus hours more end game play! And if you still want to find these the hard way then just do not take the fixer jobs for this.

However I do agree radiant procedurally generated game play CAN be fun and worthwhile when it is executed the correct way. I believe my own mod that I made to keep playing Fallout 4 proves that however you can look at games like (todays) No Mans Sky as proof if you don't buy my admittedly biased view of my own mod.

This (about procedural generated game experience) reminds me of the debate in the Halloween industry years ago about IF animatronic scares could be as “good” as actor scares. Because most people did not know how to execute them (animated scares) correctly the industry view was that they could never be as good as actors. Thus blaming the tools instead of the craftsman!

The original scary version of the “The ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter” at Disney world proved that wrong. People ignored warnings and took their kids in. Because of that the ride was closed unfairly for being too scary even for the adults that did not expect it to be so intense.

The detractors would say that a machine could not be as scary as an actor for the same reason a machine cannot tell a funny joke. Completely missing the fact that machines tell very funny jokes all the time.

They are called movie projectors.

Last edited:

Guest 3847602

I wonder what the developers think?
From the old interview with current lead quest designer:

Will there be procedural “radiant” quests at all, or is everything going to be handcrafted stories?

Every quest in the game is handcrafted. For us, quality is always more important than quantity, and we just couldn’t deliver this quality with modules we assemble in different ways to create these random quests. We don’t just want to keep people busy, but actually give them something to do that’s worth their while.

But we’re making a big Open World RPG of course, so that also means that despite our quests being handcrafted, we tried to make a whole lot of them, so players can have fun in the game for many hours.

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...st-design-coordinator-philipp-weber.11014292/

Will there be procedural “radiant” quests at all, or is everything going to be handcrafted stories?

Every quest in the game is handcrafted. For us, quality is always more important than quantity, and we just couldn’t deliver this quality with modules we assemble in different ways to create these random quests. We don’t just want to keep people busy, but actually give them something to do that’s worth their while.

But we’re making a big Open World RPG of course, so that also means that despite our quests being handcrafted, we tried to make a whole lot of them, so players can have fun in the game for many hours.

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...st-design-coordinator-philipp-weber.11014292/
Yeah would rather have both. You can only play the story for so long until it ends.

Skyrim has been going on for over 10 years thanks to radiant quests and modders

Give players things to do and they stick around

Yeah would rather have both. You can only play the story for so long until it ends.

Just my opinion, but Skyrim without any mods (and without its great modders community) would be "dead" today even with its radiant/randomly generated quests. So players keep playing mainly because modders and their great and free work :)

Let's not fall for survival bias. Not every signle aspect of that game ensure that any other game including any of them will be re-releasable 10 years after.

Modders... probably. Radiant quest? I would argue not.

Guest 3847602

Call me a bluff old traditionalist, but I don't see anything wrong in game having a finite amount of content and I'd rather see CDPR programmers spend their time on literally anything else.

I played Skyrim and Fallout 4. After the novelty wears off, radiant quests are... meh. More Of The Same.

Skyrim - go to dungeon to retrieve artifact. Despite the Dragonborn clearing out said dungeon recently.
Fallout 4 - yet ANOTHER settlement needs help fending off raiders/mutants/whatever. Despite me setting up turrets, sentry posts galore and arming each and every settler with laser and plasma weapons.

It gets boring. Quickly.

Alright thanks. So this suggestion is unlikely to find its way into the game then. Too bad.

There seems to be more people on the steam forums in favour of this.
Guys what about the street assassin mission? It could be somewhat easy to implement and add a lot of random variety.
You either go to a local fixer or call them by phone, then select the mission type you want to do, for example, street assassin.
Then the target(s) spawn somewhere in the fixer's district where pedestrians can spawn, and you have to go there to kill them. They walk in a group somewhat separated. Say, four guys around the main target and then another four guys spread out? You could climb a nearby building and take them out with a sniper for precision, or you could go in guns blazing and risk civilians. Or just mantis blade them.
What about that? Doesn't that sound like a fun activity?

There are about 200 hidden stories "gems" all over the map.
I would bet no one reading this now found them all without using "help" from the internet.
I spent more than 40 after END GAME hours looking for these and that was WITH "help". Still have not got them all.
But it is a little boring doing it that way.

SO...

It would not be hard (for DEV or mod maker) to have a fixer give you info to help find the hidden gems and pay you to retrieve the data gem you get. These small PI type jobs payed for by family /friends are looking for the dead people in theses stories.

EASY 40 plus hours more end game play! And if you still want to find these the hard way then just do not take the fixer jobs for this.

However I do agree radiant procedurally generated game play CAN be fun and worthwhile when it is executed the correct way. I believe my own mod that I made to keep playing Fallout 4 proves that however you can look at games like (todays) No Mans Sky as proof if you don't buy my admittedly biased view of my own mod.

This (about procedural generated game experience) reminds me of the debate in the Halloween industry years ago about IF animatronic scares could be as “good” as actor scares. Because most people did not know how to execute them (animated scares) correctly the industry view was that they could never be as good as actors. Thus blaming the tools instead of the craftsman!

The original scary version of the “The ExtraTERRORestrial Alien Encounter” at Disney world proved that wrong. People ignored warnings and took their kids in. Because of that the ride was closed unfairly for being too scary even for the adults that did not expect it to be so intense.

The detractors would say that a machine could not be as scary as an actor for the same reason a machine cannot tell a funny joke. Completely missing the fact that machines tell very funny jokes all the time.

They are called movie projectors.
I like the hidden gems being there for you to discover. They're one of the highlights of the game. I don't want them linked to a fixer; that breaks the worldbuilding that they are events that happened in the world itself that you happened to stumble across rather than gameplay bonuses.

More generally, regarding "radiant" quests, I tend to find that they give rise to a feeling of "why am I even doing this this is a waste of my life". They're just busywork that follows the same repetitive template. More than just getting old fast, I think they cheapen every game I've seen them in.

But then I have no problem with games running out and to me the idea that a story game should be able to be played forever is actually a turnoff. The stories just won't be any good.

Alright thanks. So this suggestion is unlikely to find its way into the game then. Too bad.

Guys what about the street assassin mission? It could be somewhat easy to implement and add a lot of random variety.
You either go to a local fixer or call them by phone, then select the mission type you want to do, for example, street assassin.
Then the target(s) spawn somewhere in the fixer's district where pedestrians can spawn, and you have to go there to kill them. They walk in a group somewhat separated. Say, four guys around the main target and then another four guys spread out? You could climb a nearby building and take them out with a sniper for precision, or you could go in guns blazing and risk civilians. Or just mantis blade them.

Sounds too assassins creed but its something XD.

Doesn't the game go quite a way to establishing that V is not a hitman? He or she has more choices to actively object to being hired as a murderer than to actually agree to it. So while it does come up, making it a core gameplay mechanic would feel a bit, i don't know, off.

CDPR are not Bethesda. They do not want you to do anything you can possibly do if it breaks the storytelling. It's a very different attitude. Bethesda is basically "player can be god and do anything" with compromised stories to get there. CDPR is story first rather than fantasy wish fulfilment. Both end up with good games but in very different ways.

I wouldn't mind random gang activity spotted around that you stumble across. But a fixer who just generates random crap that sounds suspiciously similar to the random crap you just did is really off-putting to me. It's not organic to ring a fixer and say "I want to murder someone" and then hear "well whaddya know I have just what you need". That's the kind of vapid stuff you get in MMOs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom