Radio shows...

+
I loved "The Deb of Night"!

And as mentioned elsewhere some of your exploits as a character made the news as well ... the beach house slaughter (if you killed them) ... and blowing up the Sabbat warehouse. I though this was brilliant, it really made you feel your actions weren't happening in the usual vacuum most games present you with.

Having a radio at all might be prohibitively expensive. They'll already be spending lots of money on VOs because it's an RPG. I know it makes sense to have radio stations but if I had to choose I'd rather they saved that money for interactive dialog and ambient dialog from NPCs.

Having a radio at all might be prohibitively expensive. They'll already be spending lots of money on VOs because it's an RPG. I know it makes sense to have radio stations but if I had to choose I'd rather they saved that money for interactive dialog and ambient dialog from NPCs.
After they sold TW3 more than 10 mil copies they are lacking money? I don't think so. Also, radio is one of the easiest features to make and it is largely independent from the main game development: it is almost stand alone feature. You just need a writer with a good sense of humor, actors and sound recording. Dialogues are much harder to do due to branching and situational context.

After they sold TW3 more than 10 mil copies they are lacking money? I don't think so. Also, radio is one of the easiest features to make and it is largely independent from the main game development: it is almost stand alone feature. You just need a writer with a good sense of humor, actors and sound recording. Dialogues are much harder to do due to branching and situational context.

Voice acting is one of the most expensive parts of game development. So is licensing music, like Rockstar has to do to make their radio stations believable. We're talking thousands upon thousands of extra dialog lines. They aren't Rockstar, and they don't have that kind of money.

Voice acting is one of the most expensive parts of game development.
It depends on who your actors are. Don't invite famous Hollywood stars and you're fine. And, in comparison to dialogues, radio shows are linear and don't have branching. They are literally 3-4 times cheaper than dialogues of the same length. The only problem with radio shows is quality. For example, Fallout 3 radios were borefests.

---------- Updated at 12:34 AM ----------

Also, I just checked and here's the thing about Bloodlines' radio show two best voices: the actress who voiced Deb of Night was not credited meaning that she did NOT receive payment for it (she was probably a friend of one of the developers/executives of Troika studio) and the voice of Gomez (the radio show conspiracy theorist) was voiced by the Troika's lead art designer. So much about being expensive. Looks like they did it just for lulz and managed to make it perfect.

Exactly.

Media have to be included, if not as a role as an element of the setting. And what better media than the radio which can be listened to while you do other things in game, like driving or... hell, with portable, wearable and implanted devices, listened to anywhere. Make it reactive to in-game events like the ones in the GTA series... or like in SR2, where it was so intertwined that a whole radio station changed after the ingame death of its DJ and takeover by the Ultor corporation.

Forum veteran
yes, radio shows with futuristic and cyberpunk music, awesome idea
The thread's about a radio talk show, not music. Did you even click the link? You should; Deb is the best and CDPR including something that gives the world that much personality would be a point in the game's favor and give them another avenue for reactivity. Music stations are a terrible idea, though, and tend to cause all kinds of rights problems. One of the GTAs had to be removed from Steam for awhile to remove some of its music because of expiring song rights, and Hitman: Contracts was in a licensing mess because of its music that kept it off digital distribution sites until 2014.

I suppose it's possible that they could make all the music themselves to avoid that, but music radio stations being viable means that area themes are either nonexistent or so underwhelming that they might as well not be present at all. Sayonara, deliberately crafted music designed to build atmosphere. Not a very good tradeoff.

Yeah, music is always a licensing problem and it's not cheap.

Fallout can get away with it mostly because their music is public domain or so old (WW II era) the original artists are dead and no one owns the rights.

I don't really need a a radio show. News reports a la Robocop would be more in keeping with the game I think.

I'm currently replaying Max Payne and the TV shows are hilarious - since there were only a few images shown on tv it would be perfectly possible to create such mini shows as a part of one or multiple radio stations. It's no wonder Remedy really expanded on the shows in Max Payne 2 (in the first one each show only occurred once with a single episode, in MP2 all shows had multiple episodes which coincidentally matched the suspense of the main story of the game).

Edit: Mirrors are more fun than television!

Last edited:
Top Bottom