Radio System feature

+
Well, hello everyone. It's amazing how much this community grew up this last week. Everyone is taking their ideas, opinions, critics, etc. And posting everything so the devs can take the feedback and bring life to this incredible game. And, well, I also have something I think it would be awesome if they implement this into the gatme.

So, what am I talking about?. This Radio System its been in other open world games, like GTA, Fallout, Ghost Recon: Wildlands (just to name a few of them). Obviously you will listen to the variety of music when you are taking a ride in your car, bike, etc, I think the soundtrack its one of the most important things that defines a good game, but I'm not trying to talk about the soundtrack (I know they will make a good selection of music, the last trailer proves it, Hyper is amazing. Also, there's another thread for you guys to talk about the soundtrack). I'm talking about the cool things you could do with the radio.
Ok, let's say you're listening some good rock, everything normal, but suddenly it stops and a news report kicks in, some gang members are starting a shooting in a place near you. Then a notification appears in the HUD saying you have a new side mission. There you have it, not only you have great mechanic with the radio, you also push the gamer to stay alert. I love when a game have small things like these.
Other thing I love it's when you've done a big mission, a mission that changed something in the game, then you hop in your car and everyone it's talking about what you just did. Hearing the media and DJs thoughts about that event its just cool.
And something I love from Fallout it's that you can get some secret missions with the radio. Let's say you found a random file surfing the net that leads you to a X part of Night City. You go there, but there's nothing interesting. Search the whole place, but still nothing. Then you go to the radio, and search in every radio station, and there, in one of those dead channels, some kind of cryptic file pops in your "database". You decrypt the fIle and then leads you to another place where you find a rare item. I don't know, the radio have so much potential, its a shame that some other games don't use it properly.

So, what do you think guys? Should this be a thing? Or it's just a silly mechanic?

Depends on how much sense it makes in a world like that. Is radio still a thing in this version of the future?

In Fallout 4 it made sense, also as mentioned in your post, there was a quest in connection to the radio station. But in general I kinda prefer a more traditional soundtrack that adapts to the situation. But sure, being able to adjust the music to your mood can be fun too.

Depends on how much sense it makes in a world like that. Is radio still a thing in this version of the future?

In Fallout 4 it made sense, also as mentioned in your post, there was a quest in connection to the radio station. But in general I kinda prefer a more traditional soundtrack that adapts to the situation. But sure, being able to adjust the music to your mood can be fun too.

I know, maybe the radio it's extinct at that point. But I don't know, I'm just trying to say that something like that could be fun if you are not doing the main story. Also it adds a random kind of feeling, you don't what could happen next time

If there is a "radio" feature, I think it should be fairly limited. Talk radios are fine and advertisement channels too, but music stations are a tad problematic.

The Fallout games that Bethesda coined, went nuts with it. They provided a world where music production stopped in the 50's and people listened to only the same tunes for over a 120 years, destroyed the world and started to listen it all again for another 200 years.

CP2077 has the same problem with music. They'd have to come up with 50 years of musical evolution and create a ton of specifically composed tracks that sound like the times lest we only hear stuff from our world and time, which would be quite out of place.

If there is a "radio" feature, I think it should be fairly limited. Talk radios are fine and advertisement channels too, but music stations are a tad problematic.

The Fallout games that Bethesda coined, went nuts with it. They provided a world where music production stopped in the 50's and people listened to only the same tunes for over a 120 years, destroyed the world and started to listen it all again for another 200 years.

CP2077 has the same problem with music. They'd have to come up with 50 years of musical evolution and create a ton of specifically composed tracks that sound like the times lest we only hear stuff from our world and time, which would be quite out of place.

That's interesting, didn't knew about that "music problem" in the CP universe. Still, I'm not talking about what music should be in the radio, a cockroach would pick better songs or even compose better songs for that purpose than me. I'm trying to say that there's a lot things you can do with that kind of Radio feature, things that could potentially improve the gameplay experience. (Sorry if I'm not expressing myself in a better way, I'm not used to write things in English).

That's interesting, didn't knew about that "music problem" in the CP universe.

There's no music problem in CP universe that I know of. But there's something of a problem when you're putting it in audible form in a video game. It has to sound like it belongs there, so Nickelback songs torturing people or Perturbators greatest hits might feel out of place because it's "our" music.

> Would be better and more lore friendly if you, by being in bed with any type of corporation you get to have an augmented feature inside of you that will let you have direct knowledge, connection with such corporation and with whoever you can side with in the game. Instead of the radio.

> But if the radio can have that feature in addition with your character, that said, being outside your car and a new message is being broadcast for you, you character have that augmented feature then you get to receive it. And vice-versa if you don't have any augmented features that can have that connection with who ever you side with trough your radio car. Who knows.

> But at the end of it, if this feature is not even a doable thing, that goes with the story they are about to tell is best no to have it.

I love the idea that outside of cut-scenes there is no music unless it is playing from some source be it car radio, implants, ear buds, speakers, etc. I really love the idea of having ads, news blurbs, etc helping to flesh out the world. That said, there are so many ways to go wrong with this that it becomes tricky. Having too many big hits from our time can be distracting because while we have "classic" stations now, they don't tend to play much music from 60 years ago. Additionally, if it doesn't have enough variety, Fallout 3 & 4's radio became intolerable for me after a few hours of game play because they just did not have enough songs. While this feature would amp up the immersion for me, if those challenges aren't overcome I'd rather take typical atmosphere music playing from nowhere then an iffy radio.

I love the idea that outside of cut-scenes there is no music unless it is playing from some source be it car radio, implants, ear buds, speakers, etc. I really love the idea of having ads, news blurbs, etc helping to flesh out the world. That said, there are so many ways to go wrong with this that it becomes tricky. Having too many big hits from our time can be distracting because while we have "classic" stations now, they don't tend to play much music from 60 years ago. Additionally, if it doesn't have enough variety, Fallout 3 & 4's radio became intolerable for me after a few hours of game play because they just did not have enough songs. While this feature would amp up the immersion for me, if those challenges aren't overcome I'd rather take typical atmosphere music playing from nowhere then an iffy radio.

Good point

At least I tried to see if something like that would be a good idea. But everyone seems to view it more like a bad thing than good thing. I understand the point. It's just that I'm so used to get in my car, put some music and enjoy the ride, I don't know.

It was already mentioned by one of the previews(I think it was YongYea) that there's a radio in your apartment for example and you can hear Johnny Silverhand's songs. He also mentioned all the different sound sources in the world and how immersive it all is. So who knows, maybe it also works like that in your car.

At least I tried to see if something like that would be a good idea. But everyone seems to view it more like a bad thing than good thing. I understand the point. It's just that I'm so used to get in my car, put some music and enjoy the ride, I don't know.
I agree whole heartedly, I also think they should absolutely put in dev/design time in trying to figure it out, but keeping in mind that it is a high risk/reward feature and accordingly put it through the ringer in testing and evaluation to determine if they want to keep or scrap it.

It was already mentioned by one of the previews(I think it was YongYea) that there's a radio in your apartment for example and you can hear Johnny Silverhand's songs. He also mentioned all the different sound sources in the world and how immersive it all is. So who knows, maybe it also works like that in your car.

Really? I'll have to look for that preview

I would love a radio in the car or at least music that is appropriate for driving (I'm thinking NFS Underground or similar).

And since this is an alternate timeline, putting contemporary music from the real world shouldn't be an issue because it could be brand new music in that world, as opposed to a song from 2018 or whatever. Because our 2018 never happened there.

I agree whole heartedly, I also think they should absolutely put in dev/design time in trying to figure it out, but keeping in mind that it is a high risk/reward feature and accordingly put it through the ringer in testing and evaluation to determine if they want to keep or scrap it.

If it's so troublesome like everyone put it, I would prefer the ambiance soundtrack and no music kind of thing. But yeah, would be awesome if at least see if it works or not

There you go. It's quite long though. But totally worth watching, the most in-depth preview so far.

Thanks gregski! I have plenty of time to watch anything related to Cyberpunk. Now I'm your fan for being a good mod xD

Last edited:
I would love a radio in the car or at least music that is appropriate for driving (I'm thinking NFS Underground or similar).

And since this is an alternate timeline, putting contemporary music from the real world shouldn't be an issue because it could be brand new music in that world, as opposed to a song from 2018 or whatever. Because our 2018 never happened there.

Yeah I know, I loved to "slow ride" down the highway in NFS with some music, it was great. But everyone it's like "it wouldn't fit", maybe they are right :/

Top Bottom