Radovid Ctrl Deck

+
Radovid Ctrl Deck

Hi. I am currently testing this deck. I would like to hear suggestions if anyone will try it.

The main point and purpose is to utilize baron. Most of the cards included have this purpose, primarily. Aretuza and Witchers also thin it and Redanian with Blue Stripes are the Anti-Weather, with Blue Stripes also synergizing with Reinforced Ballista, which with their turn also synergize with Scorch.

I haven't extensively tested it yet, but i do have tried many iterations, also got ideas from here and there and they all seem to lack something. In the end i think it comes down to value...in Gwent it doesn't work as in other CCG's. Many cards that seem good are not, because Gwent is more about tempo and huge tempo swing and Card Advantage and (unfortunately) a lot of weather. Weather is more important than any of the rest i would argue. Weather is strong even with the implementation of Weather clear units. Mostly because these units are weak as they have 0 synergy with their archetypes. The only exception is in NR were Blue Stripes Scout has at least the "Crewmen" tag/keyword.

With these things in mind and because i love control decks, i think this may be better. In the end we have 15 Bronze card that we want them to synergize on one way or another and the deck limit is already too low (imo). On top of that there's a huge amount of deck thinning in Gwent, more than any other CCG i know. Ultimately decks become way too predictable, thus, this simple deck feels the right one to me. Also, as much as i like the Witcher Card came, i also hate the Weather Card game. But that's another topic in itself.

Now, the cards used:

GOLD:
- Phillipa Eilhart (she is a finisher of sorts. You want to kill and finish off units, key or not)
- Igni (uhm, kill)
- Vernon Roche (kill units that are 3 str or even lower if you don't have better play)
- Bloody Baron (he is the R3 finisher, everybody in the deck works for him)

SILVER:
- Scorch (Same as Igni)
- Skellige Storm (Same as Aretuza's Rain)
- Thaler (use it for CA, preferably on R2)
- The 3 Witchers (In this deck they are used for big tempo play AND deck thinning, so play them on R1)

BRONZE:
- Torrential Rain x3
- Aretuza Adept x3
- Reaver Scout x2 (Mainly to pull more Aretuza's)
- Redanian Elite x2 (the Anti-Weather unit)
- Blue Stripes Scout x2 (Anti-Weather AND "Crewmen" ability for "Reinforced Ballista")
- Reinforced Ballista x3 (You want to use them next to BSS preferably but it's not that important. The important here is to use them, or to kill something, or to make opponents units same str. for Igni and Scorch)

Now, having said all that, i need more games to say how efficient is on the current meta. I am guessing ok-ish, but i would like feedback. Personally Gwent just turned my off with it's so called "Weather Update" since it has absolutely nothing to do with Weather. Weather should not last more than two turns and also should not be spammable, it's just ridiculous to say the least, also quite unimaginative and brings more issues to the game than it solves. Anyway, that's for another discussion but what i mean is, it made me not play it as much anymore and i doubt i will play it on a regular basis.

Deck on GwentDB

I haven't thought about how a Radovid Control deck would look like, but I can tell you this:
- Biting Frost is usually better than Torrential Rain
- Vernon Roche isn't worth it
- Use Areomancy for double Skellige Storm
- The Reinforced Ballista can't fully utilize the Fresh Crew combo
- Redanian Elite is questionable even with weather (and you have Blue Stripes Scout)

I'd use Redanian Knight over Redanian Elite as my go-to anti-weather card (also it basically nullifies Ragh Na Roog).

4RM3D;n8959790 said:
I haven't thought about how a Radovid Control deck would look like, but I can tell you this:
- Biting Frost is usually better than Torrential Rain
- Vernon Roche isn't worth it
- Use Areomancy for double Skellige Storm
- The Reinforced Ballista can't fully utilize the Fresh Crew combo
- Redanian Elite is questionable even with weather (and you have Blue Stripes Scout)

In my experience frost is only better vs monsters and even then not all the time, rain is way better at killing bears and basically has more value in current meta, thats my opinion though.
Agree on other points
Also i've seen villen run in this type of deck.
In general this deck struggles vs skellige and since skellige is what u face in 7/10 games, its not really viable atm sadly, fun idea though.
Also Baron is bugged in more than one way, so maybe it will get better in the future who knows :)

I'm also building a Radovid Control deck, that I'm currently trying to base around the Dandelion, Aretzuna / Rain and the bronze Light Cavalry units. One underappreciated combo in NR is Thaler + 3x Light Cavalry. When used together, they effectively act as a +1 spy, that also thins 3 cards. I dont have a finalized list yet, but this combo alone seems very viable, especially as it is possible to utilize Dandelion to allocate +3 str buffs onto the cavalry to further swing the round in ones favor.

Pherhaps it's something you also would like to look into.

Last edited:
Razhael;n8982730 said:
Thaler + 3x Light Cavalry.

That is just evil. If you buff them with Dandelion and have at least one Siege Support out then, if the opponent passes within the 24 strength range, you immediately top him. Could be interesting. Though achieving this situation might just be a fringe case. More testing is required.

I made a similar deck for fun.It works sometimes especially against monsters.I managed to get out a 28 Bloody Baron poor guy spent 15 sec of his life to read the card description

Razhael;n8982730 said:
I'm also building a Radovid Control deck, that I'm currently trying to base around the Dandelion, Aretzuna / Rain and the bronze Light Cavalry units. One underappreciated combo in NR is Thaler + 3x Light Cavalry. When used together, they effectively act as a +1 spy, that also thins 3 cards. I dont have a finalized list yet, but this combo alone seems very viable, especially as it is possible to utilize Dandelion to allocate +3 str buffs onto the cavalry to further swing the round in ones favor.

Pherhaps it's something you also would like to look into.

This is something I played with a lot at the start of open beta, but its harder to pull off than you think. For one, you need to draw Dandelion, if you don't you still end up way behind if the Cavalry get pulled. You can get a few extra points out of the Cavalry by playing Sergeants before hand as well, but its a tough play. You really have to be able to guess the opponent's tempo. If they go really high tempo early on, your Cavalry might get pulled too soon, before you can buff them. If they keep a low tempo, you might not get that 20 point gap even with Thaler. And if you can't pull Cavalry out on round 1, they become really bad draws in 2 and 3.

Yes, there are some issues that needs to be addressed, probably too many for this to ever become a tier1 or even tier2 deck. It does require a great deal of skill however and is really fun to play.

As one of the major problems with the deck comes from the problem of having to few mulligans to run multiple trios, as you have to keep all three light cavalry units in the deck. Meaning that any other bronze card that you include shouldn´t be allowed to obstruct this. I´ve found that its best to avoid including the following: Temerian Infantryman, the Witchers and Blue Stripe Commandos. And as you can´t effectively run BSC it´s really not recommended to run Kaedwani Sergeants either, as they become too much of a liability.

The combo is real ... it´s just the rest of the deck that isn´t quite there yet.

Last edited:
This is my current version of the deck.

I feel that the focus of the deck should be to allocate strength onto oncoming rounds, and/or by buffing the cavalry heavy for that surprice 21 str. swing.

ibilibertas;n8959100 said:
Personally Gwent just turned my off with it's so called "Weather Update" since it has absolutely nothing to do with Weather. Weather should not last more than two turns and also should not be spammable, it's just ridiculous to say the least, also quite unimaginative and brings more issues to the game than it solves.

THIS!! Totally agree with you, but i don't give up on Gwent just yet.. I am waiting eagerly for another patch.. I think CDPR devs are the right people to trust as from my experience they alway deliver in the end.. Gwent has much potential.. Weather will get adressed soon i am sure.. At least now that Golden weather got nerfed it IS possible to play around the rest of the weather cards.. Cause you can effectivly spread your units in different rows without in fear of RnR or Draught, this nerf affected G:igni too as people don't row stack so often as before ( a good way to deal with Golden weather was to rowstack)... I feel you though, playin against weather spammers and Skelige bears feels like you play a Hearthstone adventure and you have to deal with a boss.. Not unbeatable but still unfair...

P.S.: it's funny how GOld weather cards are still usefull but people don't realize this as they stopped playing them just because they aren't OP anymore!

I tried a deck sort of similar to this, but the problem I ran into was that I kept drawing my weather cards R1, having to mull them instead of other cards (I started tracking this, it happened close to 80% of my games). Also, Aretuza Adept was a horrible loss of tempo. Maybe you can make them work better than me. :)
Save

Maybe, AE needs to pull a BSC, but that requires an extra card per AE, plus a Sgt, another card, etc. etc. etc. hmmm

Last edited:
Top Bottom