Votes: 62 55.4%
  • I'm not enthusiastic, but don't really mind it

Votes: 33 29.5%
  • I like the character's new direction

Votes: 16 14.3%
  • I don't consider this relevant at all

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
It`s strange to me why we can`t ask Radovid for help for defence of Kaer Morhen, i mean we helped him in W1 to destroy salamandra and kill Grand master and he get Order of the flaming Rose for that, and we could help him marry adda, and in W2 we could helped him to get Anais, and in W3 we search Philippa for him.

Kaer Morhen is now in teritory under redania control why Geralt never consider option to ask Radovid for help, did he think Radovid is crazy and won`t help him, but why would he refuse when he didn`t reach Philippa yet.

Instead Geralt think it`s smarter option to ask nilfgardians to send their soldiers in area controlled by Radovid
Because the game wanted Radovid to have no redeeming qualities.

Yeah, when I heard it I was like WTF?? I mean how bloody cheesy can you go to make people get you f***ing point about him? I just wish CDPR just re-write the whole character for EE.
Yeah that woul be nice if EE ever happens, and to me it`s not just him for me whole quest Reason of State is WTF moment, and for Radovid to kill Geralt before he reach Philippa just make no sense, and all he say you anoy me.

To me it would have made sense if he find out that Geralt betray him or try to kill him when he reach Philippa, but to left half of his soldiers ti kill witcher and go to oppose powerfull sorceress alone is just stupid.

Last edited:
Well to be fair, Emhyr doesn't really have any redeeming qualities as a human being, either. If anything, I kind of like that they made Radovid a complete bastard, as it makes the chain of decisions involved with Reason of State that much more difficult. That's also the only positive I can take away from Dijkstra's insanity at the end there.

Sheesh, what an enormous moral dilemma the assassination of Radovid is for Geralt when the lunatic spent every minute of The Witcher 3 demonstrating that he's rotten to the core. It's baffling that this was the best the team behind Assassins of Kings could come up with. Even condemning such “royal pricks” to death as Stennis and Henselt in The Witcher 2 was filled with more moral duplicity than slaying the last hope of the North against the totalitarian Nilfgaard – an empire, which seems to have suddenly turned into a good alternative in this game. I can understand that history often proves to be a “consummate trickster,” but in this case, it seems to be heavily disjointed from the lore.
Your post is right the fuck on man, one of the best reads I had here since release. I think there have been some changes in the writing team (someone correct me if I'm wrong), and it seems it hasn't always been for the best. Even though TW3's plot has some amazingly powerful parts and moments, there are also moments where the moral ambiguity, for which TW1 and TW2 are known and loved for, is completely gone. And Radovid is a staggering example of this.

Yeah, when I heard it I was like WTF?? I mean how bloody cheesy can you go to make people get you f***ing point about him? I just wish CDPR just re-write the whole character for EE.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for an Enhanced Edition as well, but it's hard to tell whether CDPR will be willing to devote the resources and time to make it... and whether they will go through the trouble of making significant changes to the game's storylines and characters. I guess time will tell. Some of Radovid's most baffling decisions could be improved via a few dialogue line changes, but I have the feeling that the character needs a deeper overhaul than that not to appear absolutely moronic.

Even though TW3's plot has some amazingly powerful parts and moments, there are also moments where the moral ambiguity, for which TW1 and TW2 are known and loved for, is completely gone. And Radovid is a staggering example of this.

I thought as well that they nailed some of the more personal stories, but the political landscape was completely abandoned and botched in the writing process, to reflect the simplest possible situation: a homogenized North vs. Nilfgaard, forsaking the nuances that TW2 presented so well. The mad Radovid is used as a convenient plot device to give this simplified situation an even more simplistic conclusion. Because of abandoning such an integral theme as politics, however, the game comes dangerously close to becoming an open-world collection of unrelated albeit neat side-stories, which are supposed to compensate for the lost complexity of the broader world, even though size and quantity can never make up for quality. Other shortcomings of the story, such as the neglect of the Wild Hunt throughout the game and the rushed third act contribute to the same impression, IMHO .

Last edited:
I fucking love his style of writing. A man too busy to go about applying my royal seal to trivialities such as this... :D

"Whoever doth hinder this right must desist in his unlwaful skullduggery or sorely regret it forthwith."

Badassovid V, called Stern by some

The problem with Radovid was a problem that's a common theme throughout this game. All too many times the writers failed to adequately explain why things were as they were. I could accept his descent in to madness if they'd provided a context for it, explained why it was. Was he inbred, had he suffered psychological trauma? Instead the game just said "Right, here you are, mad man. Now go kill him". It was all too black and white which many key areas of the game are in a series (and IP) that is fundamentally grey in nature. So yes, an EE could fix that simply by expanding upon his back story and exploring his psyche a little more.

The problem with Radovid was a problem that's a common theme throughout this game. All too many times the writers failed to adequately explain why things were as they were. I could accept his descent in to madness if they'd provided a context for it, explained why it was. Was he inbred, had he suffered psychological trauma? Instead the game just said "Right, here you are, mad man. Now go kill him". It was all too black and white which many key areas of the game are in a series (and IP) that is fundamentally grey in nature. So yes, an EE could fix that simply by expanding upon his back story and exploring his psyche a little more.

Well judging by the end of The Witcher 2 ( if you side with iorveth ) he does seem to show his "insane" side and why he might be that way. However, there was a bit to be desired when it came to his portrayal in the 3rd game

Well judging by the end of The Witcher 2 ( if you side with iorveth ) he does seem to show his "insane" side and why he might be that way. However, there was a bit to be desired when it came to his portrayal in the 3rd game

He removed the eyes of a regicide conspirator. That isn't necessarily madness and is a far cry from "dub dub, dub dub".

He removed the eyes of a regicide conspirator. That isn't necessarily madness and is a far cry from "dub dub, dub dub".

Yes I agree which is why I said it left a bit to be desired, however, I could see the guy going a bit mad between the Witcher 2 and the Witcher 3. He had a troubled childhood, and grew up to be a douchebag. big surprise. And I was more referring to the treatment of those with magical talents being explained through his and Philipa's interaction. Though i would assume someone wasn't really right in the head if they decided to remove somebody's eyes and leave them in a Cell

(Also referring to the very end) I found the direction his character took, when it came to mages, obvious.

My point; while lacking, I could see the direction they wanted to take with him even in the Witcher 2. Though that might be more hindsight than anything I suppose

Last edited:
Though i would assume someone wasn't really right in the head if they decided to remove somebody's eyes and leave them in a Cell

That was nothing out of the ordinary in Radovid's time and context. A lot worse was done rather casually in our own history. It wouldn't necessarily be a symptom of madness or even congenital sadism.

Radovid displayed intense hatred towards Philippa, and cruelty. That is a farcry from what was presented in TW3. If they wanted to make him as mad, which I don't think is a pertinent idea, then the "bridge" between his portrayal in TW2 and TW3 is lacking.

Siegfried of Denesle: Radovid has great plans. And few or no scruples.

Geralt of Rivia: A true monarch.

Siegfried of Denesle: Other kings are priestesses of Melitele compared to him.

That was nothing out of the ordinary in Radovid's time and context. A lot worse was done rather casually in our own history. It wouldn't necessarily be a symptom of madness or even congenital sadism.

Radovid displayed intense hatred towards Philippa, and cruelty. That is a farcry from what was presented in TW3. If they wanted to make him as mad, which I don't think is a pertinent idea, then the "bridge" between his portrayal in TW2 and TW3 is lacking.

That was a joke directed at the comment made by Saladin. And while I quoted the word insane ( and used mad in my rewording post ) that was not my main focus, the actions that he took at the end of the Witcher 2 with the mages and Philippa can easily explain his actions that he takes in the Witcher 3 with mages and possibly nonhumans.

Personally I think not enough hugs and too much stress led to his descent into madness.

I am just trying to say that he isn't mad because of what he did with the mages or nonhumans, you can see the lengths that character will go to in the Witcher 2. Whether with Phillipa or burning all the mages ( weird using that but quick ) if you side with saskia or roche. I think his actions in The witcher 3 can be explained by looking at the witcher 2, at least ( as said ) those dealing with witches and so on. Why he was slowly losing his mind? IDK i already put my theory for that

Last edited:
Siegfried of Denesle: Radovid has great plans. And few or no scruples.

Geralt of Rivia: A true monarch.

Siegfried of Denesle: Other kings are priestesses of Melitele compared to him.
This is Radovid !!! And now writers throw to us something like : You think he is likable in W1 ? You helped him in W2? LOL nope he is crazy want to kill you sweety Triss damn go kill him with Phillipa she is good isnt she ? ´´ Hope they will fix this in expansions or so called EE if there be one . And yeah he dosnt kill EVERY mage, he create his own Council heading Carduin who helping him find Lodge bit**es

Geralt of Rivia: Your King does not forget easily
Carduin of Lan Exeter: Such things as she did to His Majesty are hardly forgive
- Witcher 3 ,if you save Triss in W2

Last edited:
Top Bottom