Ragh Nar Roog is too weak now (Don't think I'm going to get a lot of sympathizers)

+
Ragh Nar Roog is too weak now (Don't think I'm going to get a lot of sympathizers)

But that doesn't matter - it's true. Rag Nar Roog may be a miserable card to play against - I admit and agree with that - but it wasn't overpowered before, and it's severely underpowered now. If weather is so miserable that nobody wants a card like this in the game, it should either be removed from the game or reworked into a playable condition, not nerfed into oblivion. I've been playing it all day, and my determination is that it just isn't powerful enough to make the cut in a weather deck. (It's possible that it's worth it as a one-off in a non-weather deck, but I can't imagine that's true - weather is powerful enough that most decks pack significant hate.)

Rag had a lot of problems before the nerf:

* No synergies with other cards, unlike Fog and Frost.
* It doesn't get the "gold protection" that every gold creature gets.
* It doesn't say "unit(s)", so it has a very strict cap - despite only going on one row, I often find Fog or Frost are more powerful than Rag.

Now, with the nerf, you can add the fact that 2 is a LOT less than 3... there are many, many relevant 3 power creatures in the game, including all the creatures which can spawn Clear Skies, and Rag doesn't take them off the board.

Right now, Rag's biggest use (imo) is to draw out a weather clear before I start using my actual powerful weather effects. That's just not worth a gold card.

Here's the version I'd like to see:

Fenris Wolf
Legendary, 2 power
Apply Rag Nar Roog (2 damage per turn) to all enemy rows.
Whenever a minion is killed by Rag Nar Roog, Fenris Wolf gets +1 power.

It's adding at least SOME power to the board, and it now has the potential to do something.

Other choices might be to make the effect gold (IE can't be cleared); allow it to stack with other weather effects; make it so that it does 2 damage, but kills anything which it leaves at 1 life; Allow it to hurt gold cards; or give it the unit(s) text. (That last one is easily the most powerful.)

Or, honestly, just remove it from the game. Again, "nerf to uselessness" is a terrible solution to any problem. Please, don't follow Hearthstone in that regard.

Last edited:
amoshias;n8896780 said:
If weather is so miserable that nobody wants a card like this in the game, it should either be removed from the game or reworked into a playable condition, not nerfed into oblivion.

Couldn't agree more. No idea why it was even conceived. Although, once it went into public beta, I thought wtf is that shit, how on earth are you going to fix this now. It just should never have existed. Now they must waste time trying to balance it and make it work when it just shouldn't have been, and still shouldn't be.

I stand by my statement.
weather decks already have all they need..that's obvious

on top.of that..I just played a match against NR..no weather was used so I felt safe to burn my first light for a bronze in second round

sure as shit ...3rd round...what does he drop first?
you guessed it RNR ...wrecked my whole 3rd round to a loss..
so can the card be still used to win..
Why hell yes it can

Last edited:
It was a terrible card used in either a moment of desperation, or someone who couldn't figure out how to use a working deck. In my opinion it wasn't nerfed enough

Last edited by a moderator:
idomyownstunts;n8896830 said:
Couldn't agree more. No idea why it was even conceived. Although, once it went into public beta, I thought wtf is that shit, how on earth are you going to fix this now. It just should never have existed. Now they must waste time trying to balance it and make it work when it just shouldn't have been, and still shouldn't be.

It was conceived for the same reason NG was the way it is.Some people care more about winning that enjoying the game.

Ragh Nar Roog (and Drought) were inherently flawed by design and nerfing them doesn't change that fact. There are three issues with the card:

1) Can be instantly countered with anti-weather card (for a max of 9 strength loss).
2) Only reaches it's full potential when each row has units, which is usually not the case.
3) But if it does hit, it can really hit hard. This is similar to the all-or-nothing last turn, last card weather damnation in closed beta which made you insta lose the game.

I am guessing the nerf is a stop-gap solution while CDPR continues looking for a way to make RNR balanced and viable.

It's still a very powerful card if left unanswered. Right now the meta is full of weather hate, so I don't imagine it'd make the cut in a competitive deck.

Either way, I completely agree that this is very bad balancing. Gold weather shouldn't have been a thing. The card was ridiculous before, definitely causing too bit of an upset if not played around, and now it's just easier to play around. Still remains a $hit card, IMO. Same goes for drought. I've been praying they completely rework the cards, but it's not happening, unfortunately =(

May be it could have been better reworked but I think it's okay as it is for now. It can be countered with bronze cards and need many units on board to be effective especially with the damage nerf.

Anyways I thought the whole point of weather and spells is so that people can't just build one-dimensional decks. You have to include some counter cards at expense of raw power combos and have to think before you put any unit on the board. Made the game more tactical and fun IMHO. The mind games is what make this game fun, that NR deck with RnR TheShift mentioned is a good example.

blablabla... absolute worst card is still Tibor.. Grats devs for nerving NR again, just to make Nilfgaard even more overpowered.
suck

Last edited by a moderator:
It was too strong.. Clear Skies was not a solution as it wasn't giving you any Power you lost back.. That's why half the decks included a gold weather... And with weather spamming being the strongest meta right now i don't need +1 weather to waste my weather clears..
Also because you would fear RNR and Draught too much you wouldn't spread your units making you vulnerable to Geralt:Igni, another card that is almost auto-included in most decks...

It's a still a threat though.. Just not an auto-win anymore.. Like it should be...

Adasch;n8897090 said:
blablabla... absolute pussy card is still Tibor.. Grats devs for nerving NR again, just to make Nilfgaard even more overpowered.
suck

CDPR nerfed pretty much every NG card that was considered must have at deck.

Last edited:
If it is too weak now it was too weak before. It's only a max 3 strength per turn you are losing. You can still inflict 6 per turn so I don't see the issue. If you use it or not is up to you

NickStrife;n8897160 said:
It was too strong.. Clear Skies was not a solution as it wasn't giving you any Power you lost back.. That's why half the decks included a gold weather... And with weather spamming being the strongest meta right now i don't need +1 weather to waste my weather clears..
Also because you would fear RNR and Draught too much you wouldn't spread your units making you vulnerable to Geralt:Igni, another card that is almost auto-included in most decks...

It's a still a threat though.. Just not an auto-win anymore.. Like it should be...

It was never "auto-win"

TheDyingScotsman;n8897500 said:
It was never "auto-win"

Yes it was.. For many decks it's very easy to be with no weather clear in hand.. So what happened if you used RNR/Draught and i didn't have a clear? That's right, it didn't matter what i would do cause it meant instadefeat.. And the fact that weather spamming is a thing (and the most OP thing) didn't make things for my weather clears any easier...

Last night some guy dropped RNR and after I cleaned it, cause I had the Clean Skies card, he just Drought me... what a fun game mechanic.

And this comes from a guy that played Swims Spelgaard deck, so I imagine I know what I am talking about.

It is a gold card for a reason. And u should always have a weather clear card in your deck. Each faction has a card to do so, if i am not mistaken. The 2 damage per turn is good enough.

With the current weather mechanic, its too difficult to balance it by simply tweaking numbers like they did with RNR/drought; or they are too powerful/oppressive, or they are underpowered like RNR/drough have become.

Right now, the mechanic is broken.

amoshias;n8896780 said:
* No synergies with other cards, unlike Fog and Frost.

Have you noticed the synergies within an archetype? Weather has seduced even the Devs that they decided to create a whole new line of units for each Faction to clear weather for a row. Have you notice these new units have 0 synergy with basically everything in the Weather Card Game? They continue not giving tools to many archetypes and on the other hand they continuously nerf them. As long as Weather has an ongoing, permanent bs effect on the board, i wouldn't even dream of calling it a nerf.

They sacrifice synergies exactly because they forced themselves to create new "clear weather" units for every faction that have 0 synergy with any archetype. So, i see too much stubbornness personally.

ibilibertas;n8898470 said:
Have you noticed the synergies within an archetype? Weather has seduced even the Devs that they decided to create a whole new line of units for each Faction to clear weather for a row. Have you notice these new units have 0 synergy with basically everything in the Weather Card Game? They continue not giving tools to many archetypes and on the other hand they continuously nerf them. As long as Weather has an ongoing, permanent bs effect on the board, i wouldn't even dream of calling it a nerf.

They sacrifice synergies exactly because they forced themselves to create new "clear weather" units for every faction that have 0 synergy with any archetype. So, i see too much stubbornness personally.

I'm not sure I follow what you're saying.

There's a cycle of units - extremely powerful ones - which can dispel weather. You're complaining because those units don't have additional synergies with the other tribal themes? Am I understanding you right, and if so, why is this a problem?

Top Bottom