Random crashes

+
I also suffer from random crashes (sometimes after 10-15 minutes and other times after a few hours) and most of the times when the game crashes I need to hardreset my PC cause everything froze.
It´s the only game I have which is giving me such troubles - every other game is running just fine (GTA V, ArmA 3, ...)

My system:
i7 3770
GTX 780 Phantom 3GB
16GB DDR3
Win 8.1 x64

Looking forward to a solution because even though the game is pretty awesome this spoils it for me and I lose interest in playing when the game crashes.

Gonna put it aside for some time and maybe return after a few patches .. -.-

Last edited:
I got a hard crash last night. After taking a break from the game, came back, & after an hour or so of gaming, got a hard crash & need to hard reset my PC. Pissed, & went to bed.

Guest 3830747

I also suffer from random crashes (sometimes after 10-15 minutes and other times after a few hours) and most of the times when the game crashes I need to hardreset my PC cause everything froze.
It´s the only game I have which is giving me such troubles - every other game is running just fine (GTA V, ArmA 3, ...)

My system:
i7 3770
GTX 780 Phantom 3GB
16GB DDR3
Win 8.1 x64

Looking forward to a solution because even though the game is pretty awesome this spoils it for me and I lose interest in playing when the game crashes.

Gonna put it aside for some time and maybe return after a few patches .. -.-

I got a hard crash last night. After taking a break from the game, came back, & after an hour or so of gaming, got a hard crash & need to hard reset my PC. Pissed, & went to bed.

Yeah this too. Seems like hard crashing is still way too common. Kinda makes you think either the game is still unstable, or it just has so much going on in a huge open world that it's maybe too much for game engine to handle. Really hope CDPR can resolve such issues.

Hello again,

i tested W3 the last week with the most recommend tips to prevent the crashes. So i reduce the core clock of the graphic card around 10 and the memory clock around 50 with MSI Afterburner. Additionally i also closed the Chrome browser during playing W3.
The result to this time... no crashes.

From now i will testing the game only with closed browser but with the standard clock. Maybe the reason for the crashes is really the Chrome browser.
I will give you the results in a week.

Maybe some of you can also test the mentioned setting, to ensure it works.

Thank you.

From now i will testing the game only with closed browser but with the standard clock. Maybe the reason for the crashes is really the Chrome browser.
I will give you the results in a week.

I'm never using Chrome but the game crashes periodically. Some days ago had to install Chrome for another reasons, and it crashed drivers without W3 launched.
As I understand, the problem is not only in the game but the NVidia drivers, they say about testing the fix for this issue

I think it is a driver problem too. I played 15 min. without reduced clock and the game crashed again.

Guys! Who still playing and have crashing, pls up this every day! I don'w want play this crashing shit, until they repair it. Thanks to all, who feedback and suggest something ti fix it!

Getting display driver crashes, and alt tabbing me out of the game unable to switch back making me restart. Mounting frustration but least its few and far between.

Haven't been able to play W3 in two weeks. Hard crashes right and left. Instead, I've been playing a bunch of other graphically intense games without issue . . .. Not my super clocked card. Not my higher end CPU or tempts or voltages. The game and/or NVIDIA drivers are the problem. Time to produce a proper fix for this peeps.

Tried it once more after the latest driver update from nvidia but it still crashes -.-

And regarding the Chrome thingy - I don´t use Chrome so this can´t be the issue (at least not for me) and my CPU isn´t overclocked either.

and my CPU isn´t overclocked either.

As far as i know is the overclocked graphic card the reason for the issues. If you want you can try to reduce the clock of your graphic card (core and memory) via MSI Afterburner. That's for me the only way at the moment to play the game without crashes.

As far as i know is the overclocked graphic card the reason for the issues. If you want you can try to reduce the clock of your graphic card (core and memory) via MSI Afterburner. That's for me the only way at the moment to play the game without crashes.

Could be worth a try as I´m using a 780 Phantom GLH - gonna try to reduce it to standard clock settings of equivalent cards.
thx

I played W3 for at least 70 hours but since a few days I get also random crashes. It happens e.g. after 5 minutes or after 1 minute. The game freezes, then minimizes itself. On the desktop is the audio for a few seconds audible until the game is closing. This is really annoying, since the game itself is really great in my opinion. I hope this will be fixed with the next patch since the pleasure of playing this game is really suffering through this.

My config:
i7 4790K @4.00GHz, MSI GTX 980 Gaming G4, Corsair Vengeance 16GB RAM, 22" Monitor; while playing I have my second monitor on with Firefox open (if it's of importance)

Dear Devs,

please give us a statement to these crash problems.

Despite everything the game is one of the best role play games since the last years. Thanks a lot CDP.

I'm crashing all the time too. Most of the time (now with Nvidia drivers 353.49)) the game simply closes with no error message at all. With a previous version of the Nvidia drivers (353.3) it was crashing and I would get a "Witcher 3 has stopped working" error message. On occasion the video stops working but I still have audio. The game is basically unplayable.

Here's my system:

i7-4790K (stock)
Two EVGA 980Ti SC in SLI
ASUS Maximus 7 Hero mobo
16 GB DDR3@1600MHz Corsair Vengeance
Witcher 3/Steam and OS on a Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD
2560x1440 144Hz G-Sync Acer XB270HU
Win 7 64 bit Home Premium
Corsair RM series 1000 watt PSU

Here's what I've tried:

Several benchmark/stress tests on my cards (they're fine and stable)
Several different Nvidia drivers
Windows memory and corruption tests (nothing wrong)
Changing various 3D settings in Nvidia control panel
Checking game file integrity
Disabling Steam cloud while playing
Disabling anything and everything running in the background other than necessary stuff

Nothing has worked. My rig doesn't crash when doing other activities.

Last edited:
Top Bottom