Random effects

+
I am so sooooo disappointed to see more and more "Random" keywords being introduced to the game. Feels like CDP ran out of ideas and employed some kid who played too much HS to run this game to the ground.

Gwent was supposed to be skill-based game, but with more "random" effects you are removing this aspect CDP - and you will eventually end up with non competetive, casual audience.

"Random" effects indeed make games frustrating and making it completely non-skill related.

What are they thinking?! :cry:

Messyr

Forum regular
Would you kindly list the exact random keywords introduced that are making the game frustrating and non-skill related (for you)?

Alzur is a rip-off of a Mage card from Hearthstone. There are actually several cards and their graphics reminding me of HS so much, I had to speak up. This is why I know they are drawing their ideas from that trashy game. Oh, what a bad example to follow CDP.

This at some point just broke Hearthstone making many pro players leaving it, for a good reason.

Go to your collection and filter cards by "random". List of cards with "random" trigger is steadily increasing. Why?

Like this new Witcher card which hits random unit depending on number of units in a row.

Looks like Gwent will be another card game I will regret touching, cause I already know where this will lead to - pure frustration.

Messyr

Forum regular
Right, let's see in detail.

Going by names, the two cards you mention are indeed copies of existing Hearthstone cards:
- Alzur has the same effect of Medivh from the Karazhan expansion (namely his staff);
- Cosimo is a copy of Bogstrok Croaker.

These are 2 cards out of 70 in WotW, a collection where we have more creative design and actual mechanics introduced (interesting ones, not the boring pointslam Gwent was steering towards the past year) than in the past 3 expansions. They are definitely there, and definitely taken from HS, but also definitely far from many. To be precise, quite few instead.

I agree with you about Hearthstone having way too many and uncontrolled RNG, this is exactly the reason I'm here now (I was a day one HS player on a competitive level up till this year, where I had enough of the financial/development model and to some extent the RNG). Comparing today's Gwent to HS however - no, not even near, by a longshot. Gwent is absolutely fine when it comes to random effects deciding outcome.

As for RNG cards, we already had a lengthy discussion in one of the other topics, and I believe it is totally subjective how many rng effects one finds acceptable in an 'RNG' based cardgame. I for one fullheartedly greet some, as long as their effects and overall quantity compared to more tactical cards remains in check and balanced. And they are in absolute check for now. However, I take some of these any day over another batch of mindnumbingly boring "boost +1, damage +2 etc" cards. And I can assure you, there a great many players who definitely enjoy some random effects in cardgames, the same goes for Gwent as well to some extent.

The fact that we have more random cards than we had a year ago holds zero value - as surprising as it may sound, we have more of EVERY type of cards as new expansions are being introduced :D

That is just the beginning of the same RNG era Hearthstone once had. I am telling you, if they will follow the same route, bad things will happen. RNG in HS did not start big. New Random cards were introduced by few at a time, resulting in half of random collection later on.

Some RNG is fine, but the least minimum possible. Otherwise this will loose any sense of skill required. Imagine playing a perfect game and loosing only because of one RNG factor, like one of these two cards we already mentioned.

I do not want to play such game once again. Hearthstone was never skill-based game and it's coming in big steps into Gwent, that is the complete opposite of it.

I cannot wrap my head around those ideas, but I know that new kid that I saw once on stream explaining Alzur card is behind them. He should be working for Blizzard. I really don't want him near my Gwent collection.

Random effects are essential to play around defenders. If there were no random effects, there would be a lot more removal and defenders in every deck.

Top Bottom