Random stutter and FPS drop when scanning / displaying overlays

+
Hiya!

Checked a few threads, but didn't find the exact same problem, so I'm posting it here.
From around update 1.1, I have started to encounter a brutal stutter / FPS drop when scanning or the game draws out overlays (character / environment markers).
When I look in the direction it pummels my FPS to around 5, when I look away it returns to normal.

Occurence is fairly random, sometimes after 2 minutes of playing, sometimes after half an hour.
Messing around with settings (especially DLSS) sometimes fix it temporarily, sometimes not.
Made a video of it showing the issue:

PC Specs: i7-9700k, RTX 2070S, 32GB RAM
Game settings: Maxed everything @ 4K, DLSS: Auto, RTX off

Drivers are updated to the latest one and tried several methods found on the net, but none worked so far.
(resetting to default, turning off various effects, etc.)

Worse is when it hits during combat and game turns into a slideshow when it draws enemy markers.

Not PC expert, but it seems to me, it's when the game highlight enemies (or search at least).
On the video, it return to normal when highlight on enemies disappear, no ? No problem with Ping QH ?

This is exactly the problem, but not only when highlighting enemies, but anything that has the "highlight" overlay on it.
Returns to normal when the highlight is gone, yes. I'll check on the Ping QH thing, but it's not a constant issue, just pops up from time-to-time.

Yep, when it appear also try with "infinite" highlight when you tag an enemy. If it's highlight problem, normally your FPS will stay very low as long as they are tagged.

I remember a weird bug with legendary "cripple movement" equiped who drop FPS when scanning an enemy. Also test without your "weapon malfunction" QH if it's a legendary one. Both add breach protocol deamon and have the same 1.2+ bug (alert enemies with "Ping").

Last edited:
I have no legendary QHs on the toon I'm playing on right now, but to make sure I removed all of them from the deck.
Still no change, this time I got the stutter immediately when starting the game, but still only for highlighted NPCs / items.
Whenever I move the highlight out of sight, the stutter ends and resumes when I look back that way.

Also one thing I noticed not so long ago is that when i ALT+TAB out of the game, the mouse pointer is moving with a brutal lag.
CPU is at ~60%, GPU at 20% so I am wondering why - maybe the two issues are connected somehow...

Ok ;)
Like I said, I'm not expert on PC.
But GPU "only" at 20%, it's seem pretty low for me, for those settings : Maxed everything @ 4K, DLSS: Auto, RTX off (maybe i'm wrong).
(unlimited FPS ?)
And yep, weird problem with ALT+TAB.

Wait for an better advice because unfortunately I can't help much more :(

Last edited:
But GPU "only" at 20%, it's seem pretty low for me, for those settings : Maxed everything @ 4K, DLSS: Auto, RTX off (maybe i'm wrong).
This is related to the "desktop stutter" when alt+tabbing, sorry for the confusion. :)
Thank you though for your feedback - appreciate taking your time and trying to troubleshoot for me. ^^

Here's hoping someone knows a solution - I will continue to try everything that comes to mind.

Top Bottom