Randomly generated Quests ?

+
Yeah, just trying to clarify that is not a free of charge (money involved) part of the game, but the possibility to do nothing in the world... like staring at geralt butt while he runs around!
:hmm:

Hm, I don't know. I'm kind of against too much randomness. I prefer hand-made stuff all the way in an RPG.

Yeah but random events give you a feeling of a lving world.
You know, just like the basic stuff of what happens sometimes.

Civilians attacked by monsters, a murder, molested men or women (by soldiers).

I am still on the fence on this regard, random generated events really do make the world seems more alive, but sometimes leads to some pretty annoying situations, like if they are to frequent they end up annoying you, or getting in the way of more important tasks, but if they are too few you might end up missing some. The safe bet would be none, evrything scripted. So I think I agree with LordCrash, too much randomness is bad =x. But if they to put it in, let's se how it will go. CDPR haven't let us down this far, I think they will do a good job, no matter the decision in this matter!

I am still on the fence on this regard, random generated events really do make the world seems more alive, but sometimes leads to some pretty annoying situations, like if they are to frequent they end up annoying you, or getting in the way of more important tasks, but if they are too few you might end up missing some. The safe bet would be none, evrything scripted.

I hate this mentality of: "oh, let's not do this because they might balance it poorly! Safer to just leave it out." Or, more generally speaking: "hey, there's no guarantee they'll get it right if they try to improve this aspect of the game, so it's better to just stick with the same crap we've always had." To me, that's ludicrous, backwards thinking.

Of course if it's not balanced properly it could turn out poorly! That could be said of pretty much every other feature and aspect of the game! I hope the game creators don't have that same mentality and not even attempt what could be a great feature that really spices up the game world and makes it more interesting.

I think that random events is different to random quests. A random event may be meeting monsters, or wild animals, in the forest, or wandering vendors, hidden loot, anything else that gives you the opportunity to do something, but has no quest associated with it. You interact with the "event", or not, as you please, and then it's over.

Last edited:
I hate this mentality of: "oh, let's not do this because they might balance it poorly! Safer to just leave it out." Or, more generally speaking: "hey, there's no guarantee they'll get it right if they try to improve this aspect of the game, so it's better to just stick with the same crap we've always had." To me, that's ludicrous, backwards thinking.

Of course if it's not balanced properly it could turn out poorly! That could be said of pretty much every other feature and aspect of the game! I hope the game creators don't have that same mentality and not even attempt what could be a great feature that really spices up the game world and makes it more interesting.

Sorry for angrying you mate, like I said, I am keeping an open mind about this and letting this on the hands of the developers, they will know if it will be good or not in this game. Of course something not balanced will turn on poorly, and this was only my exemple on why a random generate event could turn out bad, the same way it could turn out good. But since this thread is about randomly generated quests, this is exatly what we are discussting. If we all tough the same way, there would be no point on having a thread like this =P. We are not demanding the developers do this or do that, we are simply stating our opinions on this matter while we wait for TW3 =P.
:cheers:

Sorry for angrying you mate, like I said, I am keeping an open mind about this and letting this on the hands of the developers, they will know if it will be good or not in this game. Of course something not balanced will turn on poorly, and this was only my exemple on why a random generate event could turn out bad, the same way it could turn out good. But since this thread is about randomly generated quests, this is exatly what we are discussting. If we all tough the same way, there would be no point on having a thread like this =P. We are not demanding the developers do this or do that, we are simply stating our opinions on this matter while we wait for TW3 =P.
:cheers:

You didn't anger me, I was just trying to convey my feelings torwards that mentality with a certain level of passionate gusto to get my point across. And it wasn't really meant to be towards you, just that 'reactionary pessimism towards worthy attempts at progress' mentality that irritates me.

Random events don't count as sidequests, unless ofcourse they're also part of the sidequests. Like a random event would be seeing a bunch of bandits, getting ambushed obviously not a sidequest but for example you may encounter one of the 80 monsters and you slay it, that might possibly be connected to a sidequest from a nearby village.

You didn't anger me, I was just trying to convey my feelings torwards that mentality with a certain level of passionate gusto to get my point across. And it wasn't really meant to be towards you, just that 'reactionary pessimism towards worthy attempts at progress' mentality that irritates me.

I feel you, man. These forums are filled with A LOT of pessimism, which is quite frustrating sometimes.

On topic: I think random events is a good feature and should be in game. As others already pointed out, it's a great contribution to making the world a believable breathing place.
Random quests - less so, unless the devs have a good plan on how to implement such quests, and a good reason to have them in the first place (is it for XP? for loot? perks? time waster? etc)

CDPR have said numerous times they want to have meaningful, interesting quests. A randomly generated quest system just doesn't facilitate that as there is none of the story telling or human touch so to say.
Eh, that’s not necessarily true. It just depends on how much you spend programming that mechanism. The procedurally generated quests and enemies in Shadow of Mordor seem to be much more deep than even most hand-crafted ones!

Eh, that’s not necessarily true. It just depends on how much you spend programming that mechanism. The procedurally generated quests and enemies in Shadow of Mordor seem to be much more deep than even most hand-crafted ones!
I doubt it. The system in Shadow of Mordor seems fun for the first time and the second time and maybe even the third time. But then it will likely become repetitive. In the end, it's always the same what you have to do: kill enemy X. The procedurally generated system might queer that basic design a bit up but it cannot solve its basic flaws...

For a story-driven RPG based on realistic character randomly generated quests don't seem to be the right way to me anyway.

Well, there’s a difference between random and procedural generation. Anyhow, I’m not saying that hand-crafted missions are in any way bad, just that the alternatives to them aren’t as shite as some make them out to be.

Random events would indeed be a great addition.

I just hope there aren't any "Radiant" quests in TW3. I haaaated those. Luckily I think CDPR said they weren't going to do anything similar.

The reason why I think RG quests don't work properly is that all you tend to get for them is "100 gold". There's never any unique reward. There's never any meaningful conclusion, it's just "Yay I slayed the wolves." Those small monetary rewards may be more valuable in TW3 if CDPR decided to make such a system (as money has value in The Witcher games as opposed to TES ones) but I still can't see it working very well.

Please, no. We will play the game for at least 100 hours, and I do not want the same things popping up again and again - some guy running up and asking to hold onto his shit, or other Skyrim stuff.
I don't want any artificial stuff, I want a living world. Monsters, or animals to hunt, or thunderstorm/blizzard with unique monsters appearing - this I would like.

Please, no. We will play the game for at least 100 hours, and I do not want the same things popping up again and again - some guy running up and asking to hold onto his shit, or other Skyrim stuff.
I don't want any artificial stuff, I want a living world. Monsters, or animals to hunt, or thunderstorm/blizzard with unique monsters appearing - this I would like.

Now *that* is a good idea. Someone send a memo to CDPR. Unique monsters appearing based on weather conditions would be amazing. (Plus, they've already got weather code in, I believe. So they wouldn't have to code an entire weather system.)

Unique monsters appearing based on weather conditions would be amazing. (Plus, they've already got weather code in, I believe. So they wouldn't have to code an entire weather system.)

Wouldn't be the first time this sort of thing was done. For its hunting sidequests, Final Fantasy XII has marks that only appear during certain weather conditions (cloudy, rainy, sandstormy, etc.).

And those radiant quests in Skyrim got old fairly quickly, so I don't think I'd want anything like that in The Witcher 3.

Last edited:
Top Bottom