Rate the soundtracks

+

Rate the soundtracks

• Total voters
Rate the soundtracks

Favorite to least favorite.

I will say, TW3's soundtrack doesn't really do much for me. The music is good, but it hasn't grasped me like the last two games.

Anyway for me,
TW2
TW1
TW3

Only when I finished playing all three.... Then I understood that I love all soundtracks equally. They are so different and yet they complement each other and left after listening to all of them a strange sense of integrity.

Maybe it's something wrong with me, but this is how I feel about the subject.

Before that time, I didn't really liked the soundtrack of the second Witcher. But it has its hidden treasures. And there is quite a few of them.

[video=youtube;Jq-0Ypt2RHo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq-0Ypt2RHo[/video]

I'm not voting for obvious reason. Hope you'll understand. :smiling2:

Last edited:
The evaluation of music's artistic merits is highly subjective, so there's bound to be some disagreement in this attempt. Personally, I find that each soundtrack has its successful pieces, and its less effective ones. As a result, I prefer not to endorse one entire soundtrack over another, but rather comment on the relative strengths of each one, since there is much that is good in each of them.

The Witcher
's soundtrack seems the most 'cinematic' and thematic to me: Each piece evokes a clear story of the event or location it accompanies. For better or worse, the game's main theme is readily discernible in many of the pieces, and, while there may be a lack of variety, is memorable, and suitably fitted to the actions of the game. (Some of my favourites are in this one.) It seems the most 'unified' soundtrack of the three, with only a few outlying pieces.

Assassins of Kings has some highly effective, varied, and often quite pleasant, pieces, but -- with some exceptions -- is limited to what I consider 'background music'. While a great deal more complex instrumentally, when compared with the first game, not much really stands out, nor over-powers the imagination; but rather works well as an accompaniment to the various settings, making suggestions of the environments and events. There is a certain grandeur in some of the tracks, relative to the increased scope of the set-pieces. There is one instrumental choice, however, which is at odds with the game's setting: electric guitar, which is used in some of the action pieces. This takes the music outside of the game's world, and makes it rather more 'generic' (it could be used equally well in another game, not set in a mediaeval world).

Wild Hunt
receives commendation for the range and number of pieces (in-game), however, save for a few memorable themes, not much seems to leap out while playing. Hardly ever do I find myself stopping while adventuring to admire the music, whereas in the previous games, I do this frequently. Generally speaking, the music has a stronger Slavic character, and the vigorous performances by the Polish folk-metal band Percival tend to characterise the title's sound. Vocals are more apparent than in the previous games, and actual songs make their appearance for the first time. This soundtrack is perhaps the most 'unique' in relation to the others, and is thus difficult to uniformly assess, due to the variety of music to accompany its multiple settings. (However, I do find it's sometimes easier to listen to this one separately from the game, in order to appreciate it.)

Last edited:
I put W1 first mostly because it was original and unique for the time and would hold up on any of the three games . W3 second more because of the Skellige music and the tone it set for that region . W2 it was hard to put this at the bottom but a lot of the music seemed to push for the more epic sound .

My favorite song from the entire witcher franchise is the unreleased version of Aen Seidhe. 6:45 - 7:20 is particularly great - I could loop that over and over again.

The official version is pretty cool as well. Sounds very Slavic (not that I'm an expert in Slavic music).

---------- Updated at 11:58 PM ----------

.... Generally speaking, the music has a stronger Slavic character, and the vigorous performances by the Polish folk-metal band Percival tend to characterise the title's sound. Vocals are more apparent than in the previous games, and actual songs make their appearance for the first time. This soundtrack is perhaps the most 'unique' in relation to the others, and is thus difficult to uniformly assess, due to the variety of music to accompany its multiple settings. (However, I do find it's sometimes easier to listen to this one separately from the game, in order to appreciate it.)

Thanks for dropping the name of that band. I always wondered who was behind the vocals of Wild Hunt but never bothered to check.

I really love the way CDPR has exposed western (specifically American) audiences to more Eastern European culture. Sometimes it feels like I am in a cultural vacuum living in the States.

TW3>>TW2>>>>>>TW1
They nailed it perfectly with Witcher3 Soundtrack.

TW1 soundtrack is not sooo good in my opinion.

TW3 soundtrack, especially the contributions of Percival, is the most distinctive and best of the three, maybe the best game soundtrack ever. Between TW1 and TW2, well, TW2 has moments like the Vergen tracks, but TW1 is distinctive throughout and especially in the fourth and fifth acts. The only fault that can be ascribed to the TW1 soundtrack is not being in modern sound.

TW1 soundtrack is not sooo good in my opinion.

I'd like to hear your constructive criticism about it. Or people will think you are a troll.

Last edited:
I don't must explain myself why i don't like TW1 Soundtrack so much..... deal with it....:rolleyes:
And people will not start to think i'm a troll because i don't like everything on every witcher game....
That's nonsense....

I don't must explain myself why i don't like TW1 Soundtrack so much..... deal with it....:rolleyes:
And people will not start to think i'm a troll because i don't like everything on every witcher game....
That's nonsense....
Telling that something is not good and not saying why. Alright, you win.

As much as I love W3's soundtrack, W1 has a special kind of magic to it that W2 does not have but W3's soundtrack pays tribute to.
And I can't understand those who say W1's soundtrack is not that good, how the hell is this not good?
TW1 soundtrack >>> Everything that existed ever in our mortal plane, not sure about the beyond
TW3 comes in close second though

As heartening as it is to see such a rally-round for the original Witcher's soundtrack, let's not forget that musical tastes are highly personal, and, despite whom it may displease, people are entirely entitled to dislike a soundtrack, for whatever reasons. So long as people don't belittle the preferences of others, or attempt to ignite a war based upon why their tastes are better than others, then they are perfectly at liberty to express their opinions, or withhold them completely, provided they do so in a civil and respectful manner.

Have to admit, don't really know much about music, I just listen to it and that's it. Can't say I felt tired about any of the songs in the soundtracks, nor that I disliked any. In fact, quite the opposite, loved all 3 of them even after several playthroughs of each game... so I guess all options but the last one? Haha

P.S: I know! Such an expresive and deep analisis of the subject. This post almost brought tears to my eyes. Can I get my Grammy now please?

As heartening as it is to see such a rally-round for the original Witcher's soundtrack, let's not forget that musical tastes are highly personal, and, despite whom it may displease, people are entirely entitled to dislike a soundtrack, for whatever reasons. So long as people don't belittle the preferences of others, or attempt to ignite a war based upon why their tastes are better than others, then they are perfectly at liberty to express their opinions, or withhold them completely, provided they do so in a civil and respectful manner.

Don't take this the wrong way, not trying to offend you or anything, but are you a secret mod or something?

Top Bottom