Rationalisation

+
I'm a big advocate when it comes to roleplay, and lore immersion. I also like the customisation in terms of skills and abilities in The Witcher 3. However Geralt has been schooled in a certain way and had more prowess in certain areas. How would you rationalise greatly focusing on one aspect or alternate Witcher school ? As well as the faction favouring and attitude that comes with the play style ? I'm also not amazingly clued up on The Witcher lore apart from the games and the first Sapkowski book so any additional information at all helps. Thank you.

Mostly, you wouldn't, I think. :p The use of "different schools" was a nice way of flavoring the names of skills and powers and providing variety and customization for the game. As it's a different medium, things won't translate 1:1 from the novels.

If the goal is to create a "canon" Geralt, then I would argue focusing on all the Fast Attack and Defense skills. Focus almost exclusively on Aard (basic use and extended range) and Axii (for conversations only). The rest of the slots I would use for Alchemy, as they all seem to make sense according to what I know of the books.

Going with a different sort of build is departing from the canon a great deal and instead just focusing on creating a playstyle you enjoy. (If I was going to really reach...I could say that maybe Geralt managed to gain some new insight on combat techniques or perhaps absorb some unusual abilities during his time with the Red Riders, and they're only beginning to manifest now.)

(I've read all the short stories, haven't dipped into the novels though.) For anybody else who's curious, you want to focus on the first three skills in fast attack, the last two in strong, everything in dodge, the first two in aard, maybe the first skill of axii, the second skill in quen, and mutation skills if you want synergy.

Geralt does use axii to manipulate people, but not often at all. Igni is op, book quen is a bubble like the alt skill, and yrden is nothing like in the book. I guess yrden's a kind of seal, or ward, but its contextual. Only seems to be useful repelling basic curses and spells. I want to say there's another sign, but I forget which story its in. Somewhere in The Last Wish, maybe.

Also, there aren't really any decoctions, but the idea behind them is basically there. Potions activate Geralt's mutations and cause him great pain - think the W1 intro vid against Foltest's striga. They may unlock abilities dormant in his mutations, but they definitely aren't just buffs. That's why normal people die drinking one - they're just deadly intoxicants, on their own. Use potions very sparingly.

Geralt does lose fights. He's a great swordsman, he can even deflect arrows, but several skilled opponents could kick his arse to next Wednesday. In fact, he's just as often bested, captured, or severely wounded as he is victorious. Get mobbed, and Geralt's sure to die, so there's no shame in running. He prefers running to dying.

A combat-focused build is going to open with a potion or strong attack, and whittle away with bursts of 2-3 quick attacks. Punctuate with parrying, counters, dodging, an aard, or run like hell away. Fall back on quen if completely surrounded to get out of the mob, instead of rolling like a clown. Then repeat. You have to be patient, because one or two hits will kill you in your light or medium armor. You can't just hold X to win with this build. Roll if necessary to get away from flying enemies, or a shaelmar, but don't spam it for cheese :p

Last edited:
Top Bottom