Ray Traced shadows bug.

+

DC9V

Forum veteran
I don't means anything stupid, but Ray Tracing is still "beta", right ?
You mean in the sense of "experimental"? yes, that's always the case with new technologies. Cyberpunk didn't have an official beta version, though.

You mean in the sense of "experimental"? yes, that's always the case with new technologies. Cyberpunk didn't have an official beta version, though.
Yep, it's that ;)
So with "experimental" things, problems are always to be expected.

evga RTX 3090 ftw3 ultra
Post automatically merged:

The flickering is simply due to the fact that the game-engine can't keep up with the fast movement of the player. It's in essence the same problem with texture flickering due to lag. Doesn't seem to matter what hardware you're on as I don't think the game has been completely optimized yet. I hope they're working on it, as this lag also drops FPS periodically while driving.

What annoys me is some of the shadowmaps at the outside of GIM in Pacifica, specifically around the busted turret covering the pier. It also lacks geometry as I've seen inside the structure (which shoouldn't be possible) when looking up. There are some places where the geometry doesn't load the materials/texture and it turns black. One example, if they haven't fixed it yet, can be seen on the wall on the building next to the chappel in Pacifica. There's a lot of things they need to fix with the geometry and textures/materials alone.

DC9V

Forum veteran
The flickering is simply due to the fact that the game-engine can't keep up with the fast movement of the player. It's in essence the same problem with texture flickering due to lag. Doesn't seem to matter what hardware you're on as I don't think the game has been completely optimized yet. I hope they're working on it, as this lag also drops FPS periodically while driving.

What annoys me is some of the shadowmaps at the outside of GIM in Pacifica, specifically around the busted turret covering the pier. It also lacks geometry as I've seen inside the structure (which shoouldn't be possible) when looking up. There are some places where the geometry doesn't load the materials/texture and it turns black. One example, if they haven't fixed it yet, can be seen on the wall on the building next to the chappel in Pacifica. There's a lot of things they need to fix with the geometry and textures/materials alone.
hm.. walking slower seems to reduce it a bit, indeed, but it doesn't solve it entirely.

Last edited:
hm.. walking slower seems to reduce it a bit, indeed, but it doesn't solve it entirely.
I believe it's related to the amount of Ray Traced Shadows of dynamic objects (NPCs, Cars and most importantly foliage) the engine has to display at a given point. When you are say in Northside where there's little to none vegetation and there are 5-6 NPCs walking down the street it happens so rarely and quickly it's almost impossible to see, when there are groups of NPCs like near megabuilding 11 and 12 it becomes more apparent, and when you are in the park where the poor engine has to render both NPS and stupid amount of foliage shadows it just goes haywire.

DC9V

Forum veteran
Not sure what has fixed it, but the GPU usage no longer seems to drop when enabling ray traced shadows! :)
However, The flickering still occurs in Reconciliation Park.

I don't know if you also noticed but with RT shadows on and a lot of objects/npcs around (like during those small rave parties you can find around) shadows cast from the sun 1-2 meters away from the player are not updated real time and and look pretty bad/blocky. With normal shadow maps this does not occur.

Top Bottom