Ray Traced shadows bug.

+
So I've been having this bug ever since version 1.04 but only now I decided to post about it. Basically you can see that the Ray Traced shadows flicker for about a second. Only happens with them on and in direct sunlight. Now here's the thing, I pretty much reinstalled everything even my windows thinking it will fix it. Then I started digging through gameplay footage on YouTube and started noticing it there as well (although admittedly not with the same severity as mine). That said however I could not find a thread about the bug. Do you guys have it? Is it just the way RT shadows are implemented or is something wrong on my side (and the side of the dudes who also have it)

Here's my video :

Here's another guy's:

This vid: happens to the traffic light and the guy next to it at the 1:20 mark:

This one happes from 0:17 onwards.

My specs are :
i7-6700
RTX 2070 ROG
32 gigs of ram
ADATA M2 SSD

however I don't believe it's hardware related, one of the guys is using an 3090 for crying out loud. So have you noticed it, have you found a solution (other than turning off RT shadows, and does CDPR know anything about it? What do you think?

Anyone? I've kept noticing it in other videos as well, can't be the only one who's bothered by it.

Did you manage to find a fix? Noticed this as well and it got super-annoying in badlands as all shadows from grass flicker a lot

So I'm not the best for speaking about it, but I'm on XBSX (so no Ray-Tracing, no psycho settings, no settings at all for said the truth...), and I have the shadows that also flicker sometimes.
A little less now in 1.22, but it was really visible during "Pyramid Song" (strobe effect).
So I think it's more of the game itself ... Shadows seem to be a problem (nightmare), like shadows appearing when they shouldn't (shard next to the hologram on the table in the Konpeki's room), rooms normally in the shade where the sun appears inside (Jackie's garage during "Heroe").

In the end, my "ignorant's" advice, I would wait for 1.3 before trying to solve this problem on your end :)

Same here. 3080 10700k 32gb of ram. I thought at first it was an artefact caused by gpu overheating but no, it just happens because it's a kind of glitch. I don't know if the game uses fully rt shadows for the whole einvironment when the option is active or maybe still uses the normal shadow maps in combination with them. Maybe it switches from normal shadow map to rt shadow, hence the short flickering?

Same. I've noticed it after installing the latest GPU driver (Nvidia 466.63). In the past it was possible to get rid of texture flickering by validating the game files, but this particular visual glitch ("glisual?") might be related to the driver.

Last edited:
Same. I've noticed it after installing the latest GPU driver (Nvidia 466.63). In the past it was possible to get rid of texture flickering by validating the game files, but this particular visual glitch ("glisual?") might be related to the driver.
What's your card? I looked for this last night and found it slightly odd that I wasn't seeing it when many others are.

What's your card? I looked for this last night and found it slightly odd that I wasn't seeing it when many others are.
evga RTX 3090 ftw3 ultra
Post automatically merged:

Last edited:
This looks very similar to what I'm experiencing. I get minor pop when it comes to shadows or lighting but that's just the beginning. The other issue along with pop in is that now very large portions of lighting/shadows will come in as I'm driving through areas which is completely immersion breaking.

To top that off, I'm experiencing HEAVY flickering/shimmering of textures like speed bumps, light poles, parts of buildings as I drive past and this is with dlss turned off. I haven't played since December and recently just downloaded the game again after purchasing my EVGA 3090. Honestly wondered if maybe my GPU was having issues but with this game I'm never certain. All I know if that back in December the pop in/render distance seemed better for me as well as the shimmering/flickering with textures and shadows.

It's not impossible that this may be card specific (as stated above I don't see this on a 3070 and of the limited number of people listing cards in the example videos above plus these comments, none is a 3070). I do recall at some point people reporting issues with 3080s behaving strangely (possibly on Cyberpunk possibly something else).

Sorry that's vague and not particularly helpful, but though improbable it's not impossible that the drivers work better on some cards than others.

Might be worth reporting to CDPR.

It's not impossible that this may be card specific (as stated above I don't see this on a 3070 and of the limited number of people listing cards in the example videos above plus these comments, none is a 3070). I do recall at some point people reporting issues with 3080s behaving strangely (possibly on Cyberpunk possibly something else).

Sorry that's vague and not particularly helpful, but though improbable it's not impossible that the drivers work better on some cards than others.

Might be worth reporting to CDPR.
Well so far I have seen the problem on videos of people with 2060, 2060 Super, 2070, 2070 Super, 2080 Super, 3080, 3090. with varying levels of severity some are a single frame flicker on character shadows, others a flicker fest like mine and DC9V's. So that's a lot of different GPUs for it to be card specific. Tracking it down is a nightmare because a lot of people straight turn off Ray Traced Shadows because the impact is large and the visual gain minimal. It's a larger issue. It's definitely not driver related, I have tried every single driver that supports Cyberpunk and it persists on all. I have even tried on different version of windows pre- 20H2 which introduced DXR.

Well so far I have seen the problem on videos of people with 2060, 2060 Super, 2070, 2070 Super, 2080 Super, 3080, 3090. with varying levels of severity some are a single frame flicker on character shadows, others a flicker fest like mine and DC9V's. So that's a lot of different GPUs for it to be card specific. Tracking it down is a nightmare because a lot of people straight turn off Ray Traced Shadows because the impact is large and the visual gain minimal. It's a larger issue. It's definitely not driver related, I have tried every single driver that supports Cyberpunk and it persists on all. I have even tried on different version of windows pre- 20H2 which introduced DXR.
I mean, in all seriousness, it's also possible that I have hit on the magic dream combination of hardware for this game(!!).

Started too happend more often for me too, 3090 strix oc with Ek watercooling on it so its not temperature related. Also noticed some reflections getting wonky at some angles. Example here and was fine if i took 1 step too the right.

Attachments

• photomode_18062021_103528_resultat.jpg
    photomode_18062021_103528_resultat.jpg
    283.6 KB · Views: 130
Ray-traced shadows VS regular shadows in version 1.23
I recommend to turn off RT shadows until the next gen-patch.

Thank you guys for the replies and the fact that this bug is finally gaining some traction. You have no idea what this means for me, I have severe OCD's and stuff like that is quite literally causing me physical distress at times. For the longest time I thought I was loosing my mind in January I thought I was the only one with this bug, I was damn near close to RMA-ing my GPU. Then I started searching YouTube to catch a glimpse of someone having the issue - and what do you know the majority of skip directly to night time but finally after watching at .25 speed i was able to find proof that I wasn't the only one and I made this thread. Maybe it's time one of us makes an official bug report to CDPR?

Top Bottom