Ray traced shadows have too short draw length

+
Hi,

The Next Gen version of Witcher 3 looks absolutely amazing, but there are a lot of smaller and larger visual issues. One thing is the ray traced shadows that have a too short draw length radius. Try walking around in forests and rural areas in clear sunlight (like in Velen), and the pop-in is very noticeable and distracting, to the point I have to disable ray traced shadows.

Better to have a slightly more taxing RT shadow setting, or at least give an option of choosing a more visually less distracting draw length. So far I can't see a big difference in framerate with ray traced vs regular shadows anyways.

Thanks for the update, CDPR!

(dx12 all settings maxed out, Windows 11, 4090 latest driver)

It's not only the distance from Geralt. With a Geralt not moving, just slightly changing the orientation of the camera can sometimes leads to pop-in too. It looks almost like some elements are swapping in and out of the BVH just from slight changes leading to shadows not stables in camera movement.

In my end, I also have disabled RT shadows temporarly until a fix as it is really distracting.

It's not only the distance from Geralt. With a Geralt not moving, just slightly changing the orientation of the camera can sometimes leads to pop-in too. It looks almost like some elements are swapping in and out of the BVH just from slight changes leading to shadows not stables in camera movement.

In my end, I also have disabled RT shadows temporarly until a fix as it is really distracting.

Same here, RT shadows just isn't useable as it is now. It's a shame, because they do look better (when you stand still at least).

This DXR port really is a mess.
Compared it to 2077 RT shadows it cast all the way no matter how far the building/object is.

I hope they have an update ready in a few days(Not that Hotfix) before the year ends.

With the holidays I wouldn't count on it ..... I don't expect people to have to work extra hours for the next couple of weeks. I sent all my people home last Friday and they won't be back until January 3. I'm only available for dire emergencies

The Next Gen version of Witcher 3 looks absolutely amazing, but there are a lot of smaller and larger visual issues. ... Try walking around in forests and rural areas in clear sunlight (like in Velen), and the pop-in is very noticeable ...

I can confirm that. In the forest there are many objects where the shadow just pops in.
This is very noticeable when riding.
But it looks great(y)

That's one of the reasons I haven't played it yet. It just happens way too often. It catches the eye. Like in this video. The video is at the right time.

Thought it was my rig causing it. But reading this, it isn't. Hope they fix it indeed because it's looking so bad :(

Top Bottom