Re-think order of getting the Witcher Sets.

+
Re-think order of getting the Witcher Sets.

Perhaps you could re-think the order in which you get the Witcher sets (Cat/Griffin/Bear) as you get them in an order that isn't fair to the type of path you took with your character.

You can get a skill as level one that boosts heavy gear and so on, yet can't get the gear for it. It's just weird you don't get access to them at the same time. And if not doing that, re-arrange the skills perhaps so you get access to those skills in an order that means you can make use of them at the same time that you can pick them in the skilltree.

You don't need witcher sets to get those skills to work. It is ANY light, heavy or medium armor.

You don't need witcher sets to get those skills to work. It is ANY light, heavy or medium armor.

I know this, but that's not the point. The Witcher sets are way superior to the other armour you get and it would be fair to get access to them all at the same time, don't you?

On the topic of ANY armour, when I was low level I didn't even find heavy armour anyway, so even then getting the skill at level 2 was rather dumb since I wouldn't get any heavy armour anyway.

It's kind of implied in the wish that they would all get the same level requirement. I would say "duh" but I don't mean to insult you.
The base bear set is probably the strongest base set, so it warrants having a higher level requirement. While all the final witcher sets have the same armor rating, the base bear set has a much higher armor rating than the other base witcher sets.

The base bear set is probably the strongest base set, so it warrants having a higher level requirement. While all the final witcher sets have the same armor rating, the base bear set has a much higher armor rating than the other base witcher sets.

It is supposed to be that way though, right? Since the other sets have more focus on doing damage than this set does.

It is supposed to be that way though, right? Since the other sets have more focus on doing damage than this set does.
I'm not sure. Like I mentioned, the final bear, cat and griffon sets all have the same armor rating. The bear armor set is not strictly defensive considering you can really use the additional adren gain for offensive purposes if you have the right build. Furthermore, strong attacks are better against certain foes anyways.

It's supposed to be that way, yes, but not because it's heavy - just because it has a higher level requirement. Compare similarly upgraded versions of cat and griffin armor prior to the final, mastercrafted one (level 31), and you'll notice that cat gear has higher armor even though it's light (as opposed to medium) and focused on maximum physical damage, because it has slightly higher level requirements. At 31 it evens out anyway, so the bear set seems to be designed more to suit a certain build/combat style and synergize with the appropriate yellow armor skill, than to provide a significant and straight-up armor bonus.

But I I agree that they should be brought in line with each other so that your choice of armor isn't informed as much by which set it is currently possible to upgrade to its highest usable level, and instead by how you want to play. Admittedly it's not a huge deal - going from Superior Griffin to Superior Cat will net you maybe +5 armor per piece, but the difference is there. I can't get to grips with the bear set (except the swords!), so I switch between Griffin and Cat according to what is most recently upgraded (and swap out the currently active armor skill, obviously).

These are the stats for the 3 chest pieces.

Ursine Armour

• 120 Armour
  • Adrenaline point gain +5%
  • Resistance to piercing +5%
  • Resistance to bludgeoning +5%
  • Resistance to slashing +15%
  • Resistance to damage from monsters +20%
  • Required Level 17

Griffon Armour
  • 75 Armour
  • Sign intensity +5%
  • Resistance to slashing +10%
  • Resistance to damage from monsters +15%
  • Required Level 8

Feline Armour
  • 105 Armour
  • Attack power +5%
  • Resistance to slashing +5%
  • Resistance to damage from monsters +5%
  • Resistance to elemental damage +20%
  • Required Level 14

So yeah as you can see the Ursine armour is far powerful than the others, thus the greater level requirement needed. Not to say is the best choice out of the 3, as the hit to stamina regeneration can be quite annoying and different builds will obviously require different armour sets. I personally use the Ursine set because I think it's the best looking of the 3.

Just be happy, that you don't get your set too early, because it makes the rest of the loot in the game more or less pointless.

I also prefer the look of the Ursine, but I feel like anything other than the Cat School gear would be too clumsy for a Witcher (I mean I don't see anybody actually fighting in that long vest).

You can't compare the sets by the level you get them, to get a fair comparison you would have to compare them to upgraded version of the other sets to bring them in line with the level requirement.

The point, however is not the stats of them because obviously they'd have to be rebalanced too to fit the level you'd get them. The point is that you should get access to medium and heavy sets at the same time as light so that the build you're going for has access to a Witcher set that suits your style at the same time no matter what build you're going for.

As it stands now, if you pick a skill to enhance combat wearing heavy armour, and you can't get any at all at low levels, why even grant you access to the skill that early?

Compare it to be able to being able to enhance the Igni sign at level 2, but not even having access to Igni at all at that level. It feels the same way when going for heavy armour build and not being able to use a Witcher set specialized for that style. Going for the agile and damage dealing light set, you would be rewarded much earlier.

Then don't pick the skill until later or pick another armor skill first and switch to heavy later. You get so much money and skill points in the game anyway, that you can easily reskill completely, if you want to. This is a complete non-issue, specially since you actually need a somewhat higher level to unlock good adrenalin skills anyway, so getting the armor earlier wouldn't help you much.

It's not a non issue in a RPG that is supposed to allow you a specific path to the combat. Comparing it to The Witcher 2 where armour didn't have this problem, all armour was just armour, yet you picked between alchemy, signs or swordplay and felt the effect of having made that choice.

When given access to a skill from level 2 as a player without knowledge that you can't even get heavy armour at all is dumb. If it's by design they should calculate how what level you had to be as a lowest to be able to get heavy armour, or medium armour for that matter, and grant you the ability to put points into them at the level from which you can actually make use of the skill.

It obviously don't seem to be an issua for you, but it certainly felt absolutely wrong to me. I've played through the game now, and so next time I would know this.

It doesn't change , however, that it doesn't feel right that you get access to the Witcher sets at different levels instead of the same level since they all fit different playstyles. Just rebalance and grant access to them at the same level, and should also make random drops for heavy and medium from the very start, or give you access to those skills at the same level you get access that armour type.

Same goes for the crossbow skill, do some quick math to find out which level you'd be as the lowest by just doing the story quests until you get the crossbow, and let you put skillpoints into that only when you could possibly have access to the crossbow. No one likes wasted skillpoints in a game where you can level up.

Personally I like the treasure hunting for diagrams and then leveling up to a point where I can actually use what I've found. Also how would finding all of the first sets at the same time make sense from a RP perspective?
Anyways my only gripe with the witcher armour sets besides the Griffon chest piece ugly as a very ugly thing is, where are the Viper and Wolf sets and why can't I make amazing armour out of Boss monsters I've killed?

Top Bottom