Real life events as inspiration for Cyberpunk in-game events, quests and lore

+
Virus epidemic that hits the Night City is obviously the first thing that comes to mind. Quarantined districts. Overflown hospitals. Black market medicine. Martial law.
Huge potential.

Beirut explosion also comes to mind, but as fans of the Cyberpunk setting already know, actual nuclear bomb was detonated in Night City about 50 years prior to game events, so another similar event might feel off in terms of storytelling.

You have ideas, and historical events that would be cool to witness, and might work well in Cyberpunk universe?
Bring them on.

As if Cyberpunk as a universe isn't already dark enough!

Honestly, almost anything could make its way into the game and, with enough grotesque and exaggeration, feel right and just in place. My take is anything related to the economy of Night City (or Northern California as a whole), up to a point of a total collapse. That itself is a big starting point for a lot of various misadventures for everybody affected (which is most likely literally everybody).

The thing is, how is any of that going to make its way into a finished game?

As if Cyberpunk as a universe isn't already dark enough!

Honestly, almost anything could make its way into the game and, with enough grotesque and exaggeration, feel right and just in place. My take is anything related to the economy of Night City (or Northern California as a whole), up to a point of a total collapse. That itself is a big starting point for a lot of various misadventures for everybody affected (which is most likely literally everybody).

The thing is, how is any of that going to make its way into a finished game?
It's not.
But it's a given that this isn't going to be the only Cyberpunk game CDPR makes.

Also, expansions may follow the main game.
Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine provide roughly 40 hours of additional gameplay.
Do we have info on whether any expansions are planed for CP2077 (or officially denied)?

I would say no, less of a "Keep real life out of this" more of a "don't comment on events you can't see the shape of yet" is a really easy way to get in to a lot of trouble really fast.

I would say no, less of a "Keep real life out of this" more of a "don't comment on events you can't see the shape of yet" is a really easy way to get in to a lot of trouble really fast.
They don't have to be contemporary events happening now.
As I said, historic events are fine too as long as they can be adapted into Cyberpunk universe in a meaningful manner.

Also - keyword is "Inspiration".
Not saying that CDPR should necessarily take a stance on actual word events, but use them and adapt them to enhance the Cyberpunk world and story.

Katriona plague in Witcher 1, and virus on Omega in Mass Effect 2 were very memorable experiences even though they were just background events to the main story.
I'd like to see important stuff happening in the world besides our own personal storyline.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Natural disasters:
1) Meteorite impact (such as Tunguska event)
2) Earthquake
3) Hurricane

Man caused disasters:
1) Train crash
2) Water supply poisoning (we had a case in my country where estimated 10,000 people got poisoned with about 1500 seeking medical help in a town of 20,000 people due to a crack in the pipelines)
3) Mega-building fire (you could make a massive quest just based on trying to escape, or saving people inside, picking who to save, etc)

Last edited:
Well. Funny thing.
In late 2004 (september/october) I was running CP2020, and the background for the series of scenarios was a tidal wave that hit Night City, after a massive earthquake and following tsunami devestated Pacific Rim...
As for 'inspired' events. Most events in such games are in some way inspired by real events. It's story driven game, major events have to be connected to the overarching story, not "just" happen, because "reasons" and "sudden strike of inspiration" :)

It's the future!
Expand your imagination. Yacto- sized
Real life could be a reference to history.
Things from before will be 10x worse in the future but 10x better lol

Top Bottom