Real Life Gwent

+
Real Life Gwent

Before i begin, I must say, Gwent has become quite special to me, I thoroughly enjoyed Gwent in witcher, but they have taken it to the next level with this game, i tried to play in game witcher gwent the other day and it was unbearable. I dare say Gwent has become / will become bigger then the Witcher franchise, but i understand they come hand in hand.

Having said that, I cant stop fantasing about a format that would work for real life gwent, with actual cards and an actual board between two people, with spectators and referees, tournaments, cups etc.

You have probably made a thread on this already, but i've been trying to think of a format for Gwent to have in real life and the only thing i format i think the constantly changing numbers of cards can handle is some sort of holographic card system, where the artwork stays the same (or even changes depending on abilities and status for example your card artwork become miserable and chained if someone uses d.shackles etc) but the strength can be changed somehow, considering the obscene level of current tech it seems feasible.

Have any of you come up with any ways real life Gwent could work?

In the witcher books written by Andrzej Sapkowski..
was a game that dwarves played i believe is what's been said here (I've never read the books)

And there are physical cards based from the witcher 3 game.. I have a couple of sets..
although I personally think it would be pretty hard to play the original game irl...even this new version.
but.. I guess it's possible

TheShift;n9147620 said:
In the witcher books written by Andrzej Sapkowski.. was a game that dwarves played i believe is what's been said here (I've never read the books)

Yes, gwint was its name in the original version.

SHALLAHJUSTICE;n9147430 said:
I dare say Gwent has become / will become bigger then the Witcher franchise, but i understand they come hand in hand.
Gwent is good. Witcher is epic. No card game is gonna top that.

TheShift;n9147620 said:
And there are physical cards based from the witcher 3 game.. I have a couple of sets..
although I personally think it would be pretty hard to play the original game irl...even this new version.
but.. I guess it's possible

I also have those decks. I even tried to play with those few times, but it's a total mathematical nightmare. At least to the person who has my math skills and lousy memory/concentration. It wasn't a pleasant experience in any ways. At least not for me. I enjoy this standalone version more, where computer does the math :)

However, some people apparently played successfully with those cards. And seemed to have fun with the game.

Here is a nice piece of Gwent history :) https://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...ent-in-ukraine

Edit: New bug found. Gifs won't work under spoiler tags...

Last edited:
Real nice! yeah my son plays a lot of board games and GMs Pathfinder and Warhammer at the local shop

we gave it a shot one night (before the cb had come out) for a few hours and it was fun.. but I don't think we played everything correctly

I think..if there were physical cards for this game we could definitely play a current version of the game
At least give it a shot lol

idomyownstunts;n9147450 said:
Bigger than the witcher franchise...err.

Sure, sure. Could be a phenomenon if people like catch on, like Pokemon cards or whatever.

Would eventually outshine the video game it first appeared on.

supafreaky;n9162350 said:
Gwent is good. Witcher is epic. No card game is gonna top that.

If someone invents a practical, easy way to pay Gwent irl and it catches on with the geeks of the world, i'm sure it would get more popular then the video game.

People who have never even heard of Geralt would start playing, having said that it would force them to research the franchise if they want to know the fluff.

When Gwent gets big enough they would add new universes to it like top trumps. Star Wars, LOTR, Warhammer, Anime.

I would love warhammer 40k Gwent that would be cooooool.

:wisegirl:

SHALLAHJUSTICE;n9163700 said:
When Gwent gets big enough they would add new universes to it like top trumps. Star Wars, LOTR, Warhammer, Anime.

I'd love it gwent could have modding support (let's say it could be added to offline gwent (which could be different gwent version and wouldn't interfere to multiplayer one) and if it would have CO-OP, people could mod it and make new cards from new universes and challenge friends. It would be beyond amazing. I self would love to do it.

BornBoring;n9163680 said:
I wrote about the original version and not the English translation, didn't I?

Barrel is different than Gwent. It's not a translation issue.

Barrel, as described by Zoltan in the books is more in line with modern day Bridge, or what some older American families call 500 (not the rummy). Barrel is based in bidding how many pacts of cards you can take based on calling a suit of trump and playing a glorified game of WAR.

I think that Gwent probably couldn't exist in the books the way it did in Witcher 3, because in Witcher 3 it breaks the 4th wall, which is fine for video games, but crappy for a novel.

EDIT - I forgot to mention, that I know it was called Gwint in the Polish version of Baptism of Fire, but I was just elaborating the differences in the games.

Last edited:
I know it is a completely different game. The discussion was about the origin of the name "gwent" and its origin is obviously the game in the books called "gwint".

frbfree;n9165690 said:
because in Witcher 3 it breaks the 4th wall, which is fine for video games, but crappy for a novel.

When did the Witcher break the 4th wall? I cannot remember such an event.

4RM3D;n9166110 said:
When did the Witcher break the 4th wall? I cannot remember such an event.

Uhhh...Gwent breaks the 4th wall in Witcher 3, because Geralt owns a Geralt card, yet he only learns the game early in the story. Moreover, he was at least relatively famous. Other characters were only slight players in the greater world, such as Milva, or even Cirilla. Considering that Maria Barring is a human in her early 20s at the time of Baptism of Fire, and Zoltan describes the game as centuries old, leads me to believe that Gwent breaks the 4th wall in Witcher 3, simply for the ease of player familiarity.

If Geralt actually saw his likeness on a playing card, I think he would be a little unnerved.

Top Bottom