Realistic weather

+
Realistic weather

Instead of causing damage weather could:

-Fog, units in fog cannot be targeted by attacks.
-Rain, units in rain cannot target attacks. (example: siege engines stop attacking each turn, or when deployed to rain they don't shot)
-Frost, units in frost can't gain strength

For tactical purposes every weather card would allow to cast any type of weather instead of just one.

Last edited:
I made some similar suggestions in an earlier thread:

NatoGreavesy;n8681940 said:
I've never liked the idea of weather cards just straight-up damaging everything (the one exception is Frost, which I think is relatively okay in its current form). So, what if weather cards had strategic uses more closely related to what that type of weather does in real life?

For example, rain doesn't kill armies, but it does slow them down. So what if playing Torrential Rain did something like increasing the timers of cards by a turn or two. And cards whose abilities would normally deploy immediately are forced to wait 1-2 turns as well if they're played into rain. Then rain would become more of a delaying tactic, rather than outright destruction.

Similarly, fog makes it harder to see, so what if Impenetrable Fog caused cards in fog to take less damage, because attacking cards can't "see" them. This would lend the card more of a defensive use, which would again add a lot of strategic options to the game.

Of course, for these suggestions to be more balanced and fair, it would make sense for weather to go back to effecting both sides again.

Firekangaroo;n8883250 said:
Both effects would be Pretty useless, especially if they affected Both sides again

Of course they would afect chosen row only. It's just alternative to overpowered weather as it is now. You imagine your warriors dying to rain, or fog ?

Soldiers may not die directly from rain or fog, but weather does hinder them in battle. After you've been slugging in the mud for hours, you would be more vulnerable to a fresher army. Fog could cause you to lose your way... there are some famous friendly fire deaths caused by fog. Besides, I'm pretty sure this weather is magic :)

I just don't understand the problem with current weather. There is no faction spesific weather and all factions got equal amount of weather clear. Why change something that is usable for everyone?

MrRagdoll;n8884180 said:
I just don't understand the problem with current weather. There is no faction spesific weather and all factions got equal amount of weather clear. Why change something that is usable for everyone?

It's too random. You are unlucky to draw clearing cards and you are screwed. Especially with those op cards like inferno etc targetting all your rows.

Last edited:
Xantaro;n8885160 said:
It's too random. You are unlucky to draw clearing cards and you are screwed. Especially with those op cards like inferno etc targetting all your rows.

RNR and drough (all row weather) are nerfed on next patch and they are golden cards. They are ment to be strong and can be countered by single bronze card. If that could be done to any other gold people would demand buff.
Also, open beta has plenty of mobile units and cards that can relocate other cards. Good player can dance around the rain like it's no problem. If you play 5 or more units on same row you pretty much deserve to be frosted.

MrRagdoll;n8884180 said:

I'd say that's exactly the problem. Even decks that aren't weather focused can easily spam it now.

You can't "easily spam weather" in non-weather decks. You have to replace other cards in your deck with situational high-risk cards(they can always be removed). This hurts your main deck synergy or leaves less room for stronger tech cards. Rnr and drought are fine now, and bronze weather cards are pretty Bad outside of Monster/spelltael decks.

You can. A weather deck relies on weather to damage enemy units and give you an advantage. This is supplemented with units that synergise with said weather. Your entire play is based on that weather.

What we got are decks focused on whatever strategy they go for, with weather being easily spammable on top of that. Carry 3 same weather effects and cover the entire board. I'd say that's spammable. There's a reason we're seeing more weather spam now than we did in CB. It's because any deck can easily spam it, while keeping their "meta" intact. Even more evident by the fact that Drought and RNR are auto-include in high-end competitive decks.

Again, my changes would be:

- Remove weather agility. If you plan on affecting a certain row, plan for it beforehand. No more spamming frost wherever you want
- Make weather symmetrical again. Now it's not easily spammable, as you have to take your own units into account
- Not a change but keep the damage model the way it is now. No more killing an entire row immediately

Maybe they should introduce that while we're still in beta, just to test it out and see how it works. At least it's better from what we have now.

When it was symetrical most of decks using it were immune to weather. Now we don't have such thing. Even yeti dies of frost.. and gets stronger too. I prefer weather affecting just 1 row.

Weather Rework (a real one, not just damage nerf): Adding Flavor

My issue with weather isn't necessarily that I think that they are too powerful, but rather, they are extremely bland in flavor. They all basically do the same thing which is apply damage - just in different ways. Even the Gold Weathers are just too bland IMO. I think Weather cards should do some damage, but also have a different effect.

My examples:

Frost - apply 1 damage to all units on the row once. Deals 1 damage to any units place on a row with frost once. Units on this row cannot be moved and take 1 additional damage from other sources.

Fog - apply 2 damage to the highest unit(s) when first applied once. Deals 1 damage to any units placed on a row with fog once. Units in fog cannot be targeted.

Rain - same as fog but to the lowest units, units in rain cannot be boosted or strengthened.

Something like that. I think this gives weather effects more interesting effects and more flavor. They can still be a threat, but its not always a looming threat. Also, this cuts down decks that keeps apply the same weather effects over and over. In this case, they would have to determine which effect is best for the scenario.

Overall, my examples are just general thoughts, not things I am saying are must haves and might be too strong as I read over them. Just my way of giving weather cards flavor without gutting them from the game.
Thoughts on the flavoring of weather effects?

Last edited:
very interesting. now Fog could be used in siege row to prevent longship and trebuchets from damaging other units and rain could be used to prevent some rows from being boosted. But wouldn't this change empower to interfere with gameplans too much and require each deck to have more cards to answer to weather?

Weather Tech Idea

I had an idea that could potentially make weather more interesting than just being a tempo play. This idea effectively turns weather into tech cards, giving them interesting abilities that don't necessarily require entire cards to counter them or to nerf cards that have strong interactions with them.

I originally posted my idea here on reddit. Essentially, instead of dealing damage, each weather effect would establish a row specific effect. Fog for instance, could block view of the opposing row and make units in that row unable to be targeted. Then foglets could be given additional synergy by being allowed to deal damage to units in a fogged row once per turn.

Frost could prevent units in that row from being boosted, "freezing" them in place. Maybe prevent the units from being moved as well?

Rain could prevent deploy abilities from activating or something. Not too sure what to do with this one.

Top Bottom