realized my mistake with having CP2077 CD

+
I didn't think it through that the CD will get scratched with time the more I play the game on my ps4 :S since the game is waiting for the upcoming updates as well multiplayer and all that with how CP2077 was supposed to be. I wonder if my ps4 is still able to accept me wanting to buy CP2077 as digital from PS4 store? since bought ps4 console like 4-5 years ago I haven't bought any physical copy just the digital copy so anyone know?

CD's last a long time if you take care of them relatively well and your PS4 probably isn't sentient so I wouldn't worry about what it can/will/won't accept.

I just googled and it says that CD doesn't spin when the game start. the game just won't start without the disc, but I'm not sure if that information is 100% true. If the CD doesn't spin when the game start because ps4 system copied the CD information to ps4 hardware then basically I should be able to play the game without disc if CP2077 was made to be DRM as an addiction bonus. I'm just a little scared if that comes true that the disc will get scratched in due time maybe ps4 system won't let me buy another CP2077 game, but that time it would be digital.

I just googled and it says that CD doesn't spin when the game start. the game just won't start without the disc, but I'm not sure if that information is 100% true. If the CD doesn't spin when the game start because ps4 system copied the CD information to ps4 hardware then basically I should be able to play the game without disc if CP2077 was made to be DRM as an addiction bonus. I'm just a little scared if that comes true that the disc will get scratched in due time maybe ps4 system won't let me buy another CP2077 game, but that time it would be digital.
I don't think you have anything to worry about. Eventually CP2077 will be back on the PSN store and CP2077 is 50% off now if you're really worried about having a disc version of it for a long time. If you do want to buy a digital version of CP2077 on your PS4, it will just ask you to delete the disc version before installing the digital version and you can always interchange them that way you just can't have both on the PS4 at the same time.

Either way I think if you just take care of your game all will be fine.

Why would it get scratched?

To clarify, you do not have CD, you have a Blu-ray disc. These discs are harder to scratch than CDs and DVDs due to the hard coat applied to it. You would have to mistreat the disc in order to scratch it up. As long as you place it back in its case when you are done with it, you and your disc will be fine.

A Blu-ray disc is also abbreviated as BD by fans of the format. In fact, when I first saw "BD" in the game, I actually thought it referred to Blu-ray discs.

BDs are sadly just as prone to scratches as other disc format. Anyone who has rented BDs from Netflix or other rental services would know. This has always been inherent flaw of the physical format, one of many flaws that led to digital formats taking over.

I’ve own 10-20 years old CDs and Blu-ray disk with no scratches. Disk leaves the case, goes into player. Disk leaves the player, goes into case.

Claiming a disk will get scratch or doesn’t last is user error. That’s why some people can’t have “nice things”.

A Blu-ray disc is also abbreviated as BD by fans of the format. In fact, when I first saw "BD" in the game, I actually thought it referred to Blu-ray discs.

BDs are sadly just as prone to scratches as other disc format. Anyone who has rented BDs from Netflix or other rental services would know. This has always been inherent flaw of the physical format, one of many flaws that led to digital formats taking over.
You can rent BD's from Netflix? What :shrug:

ah thanks guys! i do put the blu-ray CD back to it's case after doing some gameplay. I was more referring to future where it would eventually be scratched someday.

ah thanks guys! i do put the blu-ray CD back to it's case after doing some gameplay. I was more referring to future where it would eventually be scratched someday.
Hey. If the Blu-ray gets so destroyed that the game won't start, the game is probably available for 5€ on eBay anyway.
(By that I mean that they really are durable - even if mistreated -and that it will take some time.)

I didn't think it through that the CD will get scratched with time the more I play the game on my ps4 :S since the game is waiting for the upcoming updates as well multiplayer and all that with how CP2077 was supposed to be. I wonder if my ps4 is still able to accept me wanting to buy CP2077 as digital from PS4 store? since bought ps4 console like 4-5 years ago I haven't bought any physical copy just the digital copy so anyone know?

If it has gotten scratched, you can do the toothpaste-trick:
Basically cover the business side of the CD with toothpaste entirely:
let it be for a couple minutes (I cant remember exactly, but something like 3-5 minutes)
then wash it off with running water.

The toothpaste essentially melts a thin layer of plastic off the disk, making the scratch to go with it. However, you cant repeat this method many times as the protective layer gets thinner every time.

note that you should use the opaque actual 'paste', not a gel. Also note that you shouldnt rub the disk at all, just cover it with paste then wash it off.

I’ve own 10-20 years old CDs and Blu-ray disk with no scratches. Disk leaves the case, goes into player. Disk leaves the player, goes into case.

Claiming a disk will get scratch or doesn’t last is user error. That’s why some people can’t have “nice things”.

If you handle them well and always store them in their original cases, they are fine. But that doesn't change the fact that they are fragile. Again, try renting Netflix discs and you'll know. A BD only needs a few hairline scratches to become unplayable. If you put discs in envelopes like some people do to save space, every time you slide the disc in and out of the envelop, you risk scratching the disc -- because the envelop can have tiny little debris inside that can easily scratch your disc without you knowing it.

Last edited:
If you handle them well and always store them in their original cases, they are fine. But that doesn't change the fact that they are fragile. Again, try renting Netflix discs and you'll know. A BD only needs a few hairline scratches to become unplayable. If you put discs in envelopes like some people do to save space, every time you slide the disc in and out of the envelop, you risk scratching the disc -- because the envelop can have tiny little debris inside that can easily scratch your disc without you knowing it.

Comparing your personal use disk to a rental disk like Netflix is laughable.
People don’t care what happens when it’s not theirs especially a rental that gets handle by hundreds to thousands of people.

As caring as you seem to be concerning your games, I think your disc will very likely outlast your PS4.

Comparing your personal use disk to a rental disk like Netflix is laughable.
People don’t care what happens when it’s not theirs especially a rental that gets handle by hundreds to thousands of people.

Even with your personal discs, you still have to take great measures to care for them. As I said, these things are fragile. Some multi-disc sets cramp discs into tight spaces to the point that disc surfaces sometimes touch other surfaces. And if you have kids, spouse, pets, etc., who often rifle through your stuff, they may not be as careful as you in handling discs.
Post automatically merged:

You can rent BD's from Netflix? What :shrug:

It started renting BDs as soon as the format became the standard, around 2009. If a title has BD, the page shows "Blu-ray/DVD" on top.

Top Bottom