Reason for Homecoming

+
Iuliandrei;n10883221 said:
I assume you mean semantics, but no, it's not that, i think you missed the point entirely.

i think you missed the point. just switch "reset button" from my first comment for "homecoming". you saying "It's not a reset button in the sense that it goes back to a previous state" is irrelevant because i never said reset button on that sense to begin with and i thought that i let that clear when i said "i though they would take a CB version of the game and work their way from there. Thats what I would do at least. But it seems they didnt learned anything from the past 2 years mistakes...". So, I would do that, but apparently they arent. Specially with the "lets test the 2 rows" bs.

look, i understand, you think that it sux to play a boring game for 6 months and would like to receive constant "improvements" instead of a long wait for a final result that may not even be good after all. thing is, the devs said they need 6 months to deliver their promises and that for some reason they couldnt if they were pressed to keep up with constant updates.

If you dont understand that decision, well, patience. i do. i'm not a gaming developer and their argument for the 6 months is convincing enough for me. When i did my masters i had a one year spawn of working on my thesis, being the first 6 months where i had to constantly present my thesis from time to time to my advisor for constant analysis presentations and the other 6 months where i just needed to present my final work for the final presentation. My last 6 months were way more productive than the first 6 months. I know that the comparison isnt realistic in the slightest, but i can relate that having a bigger time spawn to do something without having to constantly polish that work for an audience is way more productive than to constantly have to polish the same work every time you will present it on shorter periods of time.

That being said, yes, we might get a fiasco 6 moths for now. And yes, its risky. And i'm not really hopeful either. In fact, i'm highly skeptical, knowing CDPR, that they will even be able to deliver in october without delays.

Iuliandrei;n10882571 said:
But you have no clue what Homecoming will look like, yet you call it absolutely necessary.

The game needs a major redesign to ensure longevity and satisfy it's core fanbase, many of whom were either drifting away or had already left due to the recent (last 6 months or so) design decisions. A top down redesign is necessary. Homecoming is a top down redesign.

No, we don't know exactly what it will look like but we know the design pillars the developers are looking at (emphasis on player agency, bringing back meaningful rows, correcting the create debacle, etc) and all of these things are necessary for the game to flourish.

It's clear that mobile has been the key to CDPR's plans for Gwent all along. The plan was to start off with something not too far from Witcher 3 Gwent, then smooth off the rough edges in Beta while they prepare a mobile-ready product. Midwinter patch was a giant step in that direction: new engine, shorter card names for smaller screens and a mass audience unfamiliar with the Witcher, simpler card mechanics and archetypes, fewer cards on screen. As it turned out, this really highlighted the tension between the vision for mobile-ready Gwent and what the existing Gwent audience really wanted: lots of strategic depth, lots of atmosphere from the Witcher games. Maybe if Thronebreaker has been nearly ready to go, they would've pushed ahead with this path. But with Thronebreaker delayed, they were faced with slowly losing their core audience, losing their Twitch marketing and esports buzz, and potentially dooming the Thronebreaker launch. They need an energized core audience to power their mobile launch. Hence Homecoming.

Unfortunately, the conflicts between what the existing Gwent audience wants and what a mobile app can deliver are still there. Phones nowadays have plenty of resolution, but screens are still pretty small. That's why they will have to get rid of the third row-- and just getting rid of the third row will mean that a large portion of existing cards will need to be reworked. I think that CDPR now knows that their only viable marketing option is to position Gwent as a more hard-core experience for a more mature gamer (recent court decisions will kinda force their hands there) but they will still need a successful launch on mobile to get anywhere near the revenue they planned.

Guest 4226291

Even if they’re preparing homecoming, having no new balance changes for half a year is just unacceptable. Some people may not even come back by the end of the year. Pushing pack thronebreaker an entire year, inconsistently having season start and end times, not keeping promises on timeframes for balance patches and content additions, as well as making drastic changes the community does now want to see.

in their open letter about Midwinter, they acknowledged how bad it was launched. The reason was drastic changes with over 100 cards added and so much content being added and changed at once made it impossible to adjust with no gradual change. The result being what it is. Now, instead of learning that, they’re going to do the exact same thing but on an even bigger scale by releasing the entire single-player aspect plus an entire overhaul. It’s going to be more of the same. And on top of that they won’t even have any balance changes during the wait? That’s absurd.

Iuliandrei;n10876321 said:
What if Homecoming isn't the solution we're looking for?

Personally i don't understand this decision, they are putting all their eggs into this Homecoming basket and from the looks of it this patch will also signal the official release of the game. What if it doesn't work? Why would they do such a major revamp of the game without testing or feedback?
Why not make this a step-by-step process? This way you can see if the direction is right and also keeping the people engaged with the game over this 6 months period.

To me it seems like a big unnecessary risk.

Dont think of it as Homecoming. Think of it as Gwent 2.

It's far more generous than other devs who'd just state that they've stopped supporting the prev game. CDPR has learnt a lot about the game and what worked in the last couple of yrs. Plus they're not mean enough to erase all of your prev progress/purchases in relation to your card collection.

hydra66;n10888751 said:
It's far more generous than other devs who'd just state that they've stopped supporting the prev game. CDPR has learnt a lot about the game and what worked in the last couple of yrs. Plus they're not mean enough to erase all of your prev progress/purchases in relation to your card collection.

And thats why they decided to make something totally new, so all your learning cant be used?

My personal thought that Homecoming is just an excuse from CDPR that programmers can develop a AAA Cyberpunk 2077 project that annonced on early 2019, and do not waste their time on a second-class Gwent

Last edited:
ZenaRose;n10908801 said:
My personal thought that Homecoming is just an excuse from CDPR that programmers can develop a AAA Cyberpunk 2077 project that annonced on early 2019, and do not waste their time on a second-class Gwent

As far as i'm aware, gwent/thronebreaker has its exclusive development team, as cyberpunk does.

Switch cyberpunk for thronebreaker on your commentary and it might have some logic.

man, I just started getting back into the game after a 2 month break. *sigh* RIP gwent then :hurt:

Top Bottom