Reasons of State (spoiler for this quest) - Witcher code ... ?

+
Reasons of State (spoiler for this quest) - Witcher code ... ?

I know that the witcher code is more theoretical than anything but the point in Witcher 2 was we went after Letho, a king slayer, and now in Witcher 3 we're about to do the same thing - hired by people to kill king(s) ! isn't that a contridiction ? i don't wanna accept this quest but I also don't like radovid so im torn apart

Also, a BUG - if i refuse, geralt say he got more important things to do like finding Ciri ... only that I already find her :X

I know that the witcher code is more theoretical than anything but the point in Witcher 2 was we went after Letho, a king slayer, and now in Witcher 3 we're about to do the same thing - hired by people to kill king(s) ! isn't that a contridiction ? i don't wanna accept this quest but I also don't like radovid so im torn apart
Geralt has his codex - but that's only part of whom he is. Deep inside he hates injustice and brutality. The reason why he possibly would agree to take part in the plan is not political but personal. He saw how Radovid treated mages, alchemists and everyone who is even remotely connected to magic. He saw how witch hunters burnt dopplers at the stake. He knows that Triss and probably Yennefer and many other people he know and likes are in danger as long as Radovid is alive. Hell, even Ciri would be in danger with him in power. So he would indeed act against his codex but only to protect people he like and people he deem innocent and not worth being executed at the stage. It's a typcial "Renfri" sitution imo. Choosing the lesser evil. ;)

Yeah and in the Witcher 2, you can murder Henselt for what he did to Ves.

As for the Witcher Code, well it's more like guidelines.

On a more serious note, Radovid threatening magic users.

Which include Yennefer, Triss, and CIRI.

Fuck the Witcher code if it means protecting the daughter. Why Roche, Thaler, and Ves had to go. Emhyr was the biggest threat to her after Radovid.

Eh, Geralt always says he likes to stay neutral, but most of times he ends up meddling anyway.

And in many occasions, doing nothing is the same as taking a side. Like in the end of this quest where "staying neutral" is actually taking Djikstra's side.

Also, a BUG - if i refuse, geralt say he got more important things to do like finding Ciri ... only that I already find her :X
This little details annoys me too. In the end of the main story
(Geralt was rejected by Yen and Triss.) I say Ciri that we need to say goodbye and she asks when Geralt leaves. He answers 'now' and Ciri asks 'won't you at least give Triss some time to pack'. I mean why?

The whole reason for Witcher "neutrality" is a means of job security. If he openly sided with this faction or that faction then any rival factions would thusly refuse to give him work or worse, try to kill him. That being said, as others have pointed out, there are some things Geralt values above his job like Triss/Yennefer and Ciri, and he's willing to risk job security to protect them.

Albeit, it does seem a bit out of character for Geralt to engage in political assassination.

LOTS of Kings are evil tyrants.

Albeit, it does seem a bit out of character for Geralt to engage in political assassination.

LOTS of Kings are evil tyrants.

But most of them didn't physically threaten or harm his loved ones.

And if you still think it's out of character you don't have to take part in it. It's a choice. ;)

But most of them didn't physically threaten or harm his loved ones.

And if you still think it's out of character you don't have to take part in it. It's a choice. ;)

Well, it's the case they MIGHT physically threaten or harm his loved ones.

And my Geralt is a bit different from the books.

Blame Triss. :)

Well, it's the case they MIGHT physically threaten or harm his loved ones.
Isn't that the reason why Triss has to hide and leave Novigrad, literally being kind of exiled? She can't stay in Novigrad and she obviously can't leave it towards Redania. So she has to get a boat in order to get to Kovir by ship. And Radovid clearly announced that he will find and kill every member of the lodge so I'd say Triss (and maybe Yen as well) are indeed in danger of pyhscial harm, especially in the case Radovid would win the war...

And my Geralt is a bit different from the books.

Blame Triss. :)
No problem with that. ;)

I think Radovid falls under the expanded code of "killing monsters" from the trailer of the same name.

Gearlt would not kill rad its not in his nature, he doesn't care about redania, temeria or nilfgaard , but than again geralt would also never choose triss over yen.

---------- Updated at 05:27 AM ----------

Geralt would not kill rad its not in his nature, he doesn't care about redania, temeria or nilfgaard , but than again geralt would also never choose triss over yen.

Gearlt would not kill rad its not in his nature, he doesn't care about redania, temeria or nilfgaard , but than again geralt would also never choose triss over yen.

No, but he cares about the people IN Redania, Temeria, and Nilfgaard. Not much but Radovid is kind of kicking epic amounts of dogs.

I know that the witcher code is more theoretical than anything but the point in Witcher 2 was we went after Letho, a king slayer, and now in Witcher 3 we're about to do the same thing - hired by people to kill king(s) ! isn't that a contridiction ?

He went after Letho to clear his name and triss's, it wasn't really because Foltest was a king, it was much more personal than political, Radovid isn't just another king however, there is much more to it, it's not a question of neutrality or politics, whether or not Geralt agrees is very much for personal reasons in my opinion, for the threat Radovid represent for Geralt's friends.

His nature =/= the Witcher's "code", I would actually say that it is in his nature to protect the ones he love, hence why he could consider killing Radovid or anyone who threaten his friends. Radovis want to see every magic users/non humans burned alive, this mean Triss, Yen, Ciri, Zoltan, Dudu, ect... It's in his nature to care about the ones he love, to protect them, no matter if it is against a king. Radovid is just another monster, he just happens to be a king, and want Geralt's friends dead...

Also, Geralt would totally choose Triss over Yen, but that's just me. ^^

Last edited:
Book Geralt would choose Yen over Triss but the three games are enough to change Geralt.

After all, Yennefer isn't the same Yennefer from the books.

Book Geralt would choose Yen over Triss but the three games are enough to change Geralt.

After all, Yennefer isn't the same Yennefer from the books.

You say that, but even after everything that happened in the first two games he left Triss to go find Yennefer :-

That's a very book Geralt thing to do.

Yeah, and the thing is he usually is doing that to YENNEFER.

:hatsoff:

I always thought it was funny how he'd walk out on Yennefer...but then every time he sleeps with someone else he thinks of Yennefer. Like seriously, Geralt can never be around a woman without the internal monologue reminding me that this woman does not smell like lilac and gooseberries.

Anyways, that mostly just happens in the short stories and during the early years.

I always thought it was funny how he'd walk out on Yennefer...but then every time he sleeps with someone else he thinks of Yennefer. Like seriously, Geralt can never be around a woman without the internal monologue reminding me that this woman does not smell like lilac and gooseberries.

Anyways, that mostly just happens in the short stories and during the early years.

Yeah, I'm just saying Geralt leaving Triss is just typical behavior for him if he loves her.

:)

Top Bottom