Red coin overpowered

+
The solution to the coin flip problem is to simply have both players play cards at the same time.
Cards are hidden until the next turn, Cards destroyed during a turn only appear as such in the turn when it is visible to each player. Time until order can be activated is increased by +1 turn (1 visible turn to destroy them for the opposing player same as now - marginally worse due to more required planning but also introduces more depth to the actual game). Stratagems are removed from the game.

Boom Fixed. Almost everything else works exactly the same. Guy passes and you win round with 1 card extra played? Pass next turn immediately gets you back to even. and so on.

Coinflip is a pretty huge problem overall.

The solution to the coin flip problem is to simply have both players play cards at the same time.
Cards are hidden until the next turn, Cards destroyed during a turn only appear as such in the turn when it is visible to each player. Time until order can be activated is increased by +1 turn (1 visible turn to destroy them for the opposing player same as now - marginally worse due to more required planning but also introduces more depth to the actual game). Stratagems are removed from the game.

Boom Fixed. Almost everything else works exactly the same. Guy passes and you win round with 1 card extra played? Pass next turn immediately gets you back to even. and so on.

Coinflip is a pretty huge problem overall.
That idea is truly impossible to implement for any sort of interactive game. First example off the top of my head: my opponent tries to Boost their unit during their turn while I attempt to destroy it via a damage Special with a Deathblow trigger. One of us is losing out on something. Either the Boost is successful and my Deathblow fails or else their unit was destroyed, which means the Boost effect would no longer have a target. Plus, it's possible that one or both of us activate other effects like Order abilities afterwards that could be conditional upon these first actions already taking place.

Strategems need to be buffed to match the new powercreep.
That sounds perfectly fine at first, but then there are already many matchups where Blue Coin decks are really favored.
TA on a Longship, TA on a Dunca, crystal skull on Nithral, these kinds of things are really strong and will require you to waste your tall removal right at the start or you're going to have a real tough time with the round (and/or rest of the match).
Buff stratagems even more and some decks might get guaranteed victory R1 just by drawing the right card.

TA and CS could be left as they are, but Lamp could get 6p.
Agreed. Not every stratagem needs to be changed. My thoughts on them are kinda like this (listed in order of how the deck builder shows them):

Tactical Advantage is fine as is

Basilisk Venom needs to be changed with all the veil units out there now. I don't use it, but I can imagine the frustration for those that do only to have it land on a veiled unit. Maybe something like poison a bronze unit that does not currently have any statuses?

Crystal Skull is fine as is

Enchanted Armor needs to be changed, especially since it doesn't even give armor (stickler on the name is all.) Maybe give a choice of boost a unit in hand by 4 or give it 4 armor? This way it can benefit handbuff and dwarf decks.

Cursed Scroll seems fine as is

Ceremonial Dagger needs to go back to its original form of damage rather than bleed, and even then, maybe have the damage split between x amount of enemy units to help with bloodthirst

Magic Lamp needs a power boost

Engineering Solution is fine.

Mask of Uroboros is fine for what it is, but only works for certain decks.

Urn of Shadows is an odd one for me. Hardly any of the deathwish decks I run into actually use this so I get the impression that DW users don't feel it's powerful enough. Is that because it doesn't work on locked DW units (one of the reasons I stopped using it)? Thoughts?

Aen Seidhe Sabre seems like it both doesn't do enough for elves decks in terms of power, and forces them to play their Aelirenn round one which makes them over commit sometimes. Either change the unit spawned or give them a power boost.

IDK how I feel about Collar. Sometimes it seems great as it can set up lock engines or seize opportunities, but it in turn hurts the whole point of seize decks unless you waste a purify on that unit after seizing. Maybe split this one into a choice of lock or damage?

Tigers Eye is good as is.

Last edited:
Agreed. Not every stratagem needs to be changed. My thoughts on them are kinda like this (listed in order of how the deck builder shows them):

TA is fine as is

BV needs to be ..
Did you really have to use abbreviations for all the stratagems?

Nice, well done.
The reason Urn of Shadows is bad is that it's less points than TA / Lamp while having a condition.
That makes a lot of sense. The only time I tried using it was with a cyclops / maelorn / rotfiend deck to get the extra trigger off of rotfiend

That makes a lot of sense. The only time I tried using it was with a cyclops / maelorn / rotfiend deck to get the extra trigger off of rotfiend
Yeah but it doesn't really make sense because even if the rotfiend trigger gets full value it's still a 4-point stratagem. And that's the best case scenario! You could not draw rotfiend, or it could hit a unit with power lower than 4, or hit armor, etc
It's a really bad stratagem and not viable for anything

Yeah but it doesn't really make sense because even if the rotfiend trigger gets full value it's still a 4-point stratagem. And that's the best case scenario! You could not draw rotfiend, or it could hit a unit with power lower than 4, or hit armor, etc
It's a really bad stratagem and not viable for anything
That's mostly the reason I dropped that deck, especially after my first experience a long time ago with rotfiend being locked and not having anything else to trigger it or purify at the time. Learned that leason quickly

That's mostly the reason I dropped that deck, especially after my first experience a long time ago with rotfiend being locked and not having anything else to trigger it or purify at the time. Learned that leason quickly
You don't have to drop the deck, just the stratagem

Top Bottom