Red engine 3!

+

Scani

Forum veteran
Red engine 3!

Press Newslater from CDPR:

EDIT: OK, it seems tha this newsletter may in fact be confidental. Sorry guys.

The one thing that really got me excited from that article was this

The new face and body animation systems implemented in REDengine 3 offer realistic expression of emotions, movie quality scenes and character interactions.

YES.

Also it has tessellation in it.

Mohasz

Forum veteran
Yay, this is exciting! But my PC will SUFFER for sure. Btw, was there a 2nd version of the REDengine, i'm a bit confused?
Edit: Yeah, I really like the dark mood too, although I hope they won't go unnecessarily dark just for the sake of it.

It looks very good, but I don't think you should show in on the forum. CD Projekt might not like people to show their news before they announce it. ;)

Aver

Forum veteran
Mohasz said:
Yay, this is exciting! But my PC will SUFFER for sure. Btw, was there a 2nd version of the REDengine, i'm a bit confused?
Edit: Yeah, I really like the dark mood too, although I hope they won't go unnecessarily dark just for the sake of it.

Red Enigne 2 was used for TW2 EE for PC and X360. Red Engine 1 was used for vanilla TW2.

Screenshot looks great.

That screenshot looks a lot like an Artwork. So either it's been massively modified or they use some pretty neat postprocessing filters for a picturesque look. Although I'd certainly prefer TW3 to go for realistic instead of picturesque look.

Mohasz said:

The press release states that REDengine2 was the internal name for the modified engine used for the Xbox360 version.

Mohasz said:
It looks very good, but I don't think you should show in on the forum. CD Projekt might not like people to show their news before they announce it. ;)/>/>
It's not like he dug it up from some hidden place. It's an official press release. Don't see a problem there.

Scani

Forum veteran
Benzenzimmern said:
It looks very good, but I don't think you should show in on the forum. CD Projekt might not like people to show their news before they announce it.
The info appeared on several polish gaming sites, so I think it is OK. :)

I would just assume they already sent it to the press and put a NDA on it until february 5th wenn their official announcement was supposed to happen and some guys just released it without permission. I guess we'll see. :D

A good google search came up with this article http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/01/witcher-3-first-screen-revealed-alongside-redengine-3-debut-report/

Speaking with the site, head of CD Projekt RED Adam Badowski, explained, “If we look at RPGs nowadays we find two approaches, one which emphasizes the story but limits the game world and one that builds a vast open-world but hampers and simplifies the story. With the REDengine 3 we combine the positive aspects of both approaches for the first time, creating an open environment with a complex, multi-thread story.

This game will be freaking AMAZING!

Aaden said:
Although I'd certainly prefer TW3 to go for realistic instead of picturesque look.

HDR for the win... But I like that kind of graphics. It don't have to be realistic to be "dark", and I think when game is less "real world realistic" if feels more like... you know... like a video game ;p Just my opinion.

Aaden said:
That screenshot looks a lot like an Artwork. So either it's been massively modified or they use some pretty neat postprocessing filters for a picturesque look.

My initial reaction was "artwork" as well but it wouldn't make sense to have the engine logo in it then. Upon closer inspection, I can see it's in-engine, especially the familiar TW2 THERMONUCLEAR BLOOM on the snow on the right.

And CDPR aren't exactly known for using bullshots, so that's cool.

Lol im always in late when the newsletter/video gets erased for being confidential. Very excited for what costin quoted about the animations though

CostinMoroianu said:
That bloom is quite horrible. Bloody hell you'd think CDPR would have learned something about it.

Wow, yes. I hadn't really looked at the picture, just the article. I see what you mean.

Definietely not artwork, just look at that typical red engine bloom on the right. I also can notice same sharpening like in tw2 aa, it's little bit unrealistic and lessen aa effect. God i hope they fix shadow transition and flashing textures in cutscenes.

Original article: http://www.develop-online.net/press-releases/96302/REDengine-3

Most interesting quote for me:

The technology uses high dynamic range rendering with 64-bit precision that ensures superior picture quality with more realistic and precise lighting without losses derived from reduced contrast ratio. A flexible renderer prepared for deferred or forward+ rendering pipelines has a wide array of cinematic post-processing effects, including bokeh depth-of-field, color grading and flares from many lights. A high performance terrain system allows multiple material layers to be efficiently blended and uses tessellation for the best possible detail. The technology also includes seamless blending between animations and physics along with many more features. The engine uses CD Projekt RED’s new version of its proprietary REDkit editor with tools made specifically for RPG game creation. The editor can build complex, branching quests and set them in a free roaming environment with a simplicity not achieved by similar toolsets.

Ah, my wolf medallion starts to vibrate again! ;)

I looks marvelous! A return to the Wticher 2 beta with those deep greys an blues. But I agree with Costin about the bloom, one of the weaknesses of RED engine.But is it real? It looks like concept art not graphics.

Top Bottom