Red Envelopes - Has random rewards had any effect on how much you play?

+

How have random rewards influenced you?

• 1. I'm playing more to get as much as I can.

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • 2. I already play Gwent heavily enough to get maximium crowns per day.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 3. No change. I don't have time/I find that much grind offputting/No motivation to change

Votes: 17 70.8%
  • 3. I'm playing less and this approach to rewards has played a part.

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters
At the start of the Lunar New Year event, I did try to grind for my 3rd and 4th daily crowns. However, once the envelopes stopped giviing trinkets and I started getting random scrap and ore, I very quickly fell back to my usual pattern of 1 crown most days. For me, random rewards just don't justify spending a minute longer than I need to on the game, especially not resources I have in abundance. But it did get me wondering if there is anyone out there grinding more either in the hope RNGesus gives them some cosmetics, or so desperately poor that the any resource drop falls into that "every little bit" helps catagory. So has the pseudo-lootbox approach motivated you to modify your playtime?

The extra rewards do not affect my play time. I still get the first tier of rewards per day only.

As a side note, I prefer to get ore, scraps and powder in the envelopes than anything else.

At the start of the Lunar New Year event, I did try to grind for my 3rd and 4th daily crowns. However, once the envelopes stopped giviing trinkets and I started getting random scrap and ore, I very quickly fell back to my usual pattern of 1 crown most days. For me, random rewards just don't justify spending a minute longer than I need to on the game, especially not resources I have in abundance. But it did get me wondering if there is anyone out there grinding more either in the hope RNGesus gives them some cosmetics, or so desperately poor that the any resource drop falls into that "every little bit" helps catagory. So has the pseudo-lootbox approach motivated you to modify your playtime?
I play until the 2nd daily crown every day...event or not (2 envelopes/day). And I feel really lucky, because I have all the cosmetic items already from this event.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I wanted to get all of the event's trinkets, as there arent as many as in the christmas event, but i might give up on it.

Im playing 2 daily crowns (so 6+12 rounds won) per day.

I got all but one trinket in just 7 envelopes, but now the last one just wont come - i suspect this is a CDPR tactic to make the last trinket with much lower odds to avoid having players stop playing because they already got all of the event trinkets.

[...]
Im playing 2 daily crowns (so 6+12 rounds won) per day.
[...]
Same here.

I do not see why one would change the amount of playtime for this event.
Getting the first 2 daily crowns (as the most effective way of getting Reward Points) does the job for the seasonal tree and grinding more for chance based rewards is not exactly an incentive to me.
If they would at the very least guarantee that the 35th (or something like that) envelope would carry the last trinket (similar to legendaries in kegs, unless I am wrong about that) it would be an actual incentive, given that at some point they would appear.
The only trinket I am missing is the Cardback and even if I get all envelopes that are still available to me during this event there is no guarantee I will not miss it in every single one, so it is not exactly motivating to try and get it.E

Edit: To be fair though the Ore and Scrap rewards are worth 1-2 reward points (unlike the incredibly small ore/scrap rewards from the Yule event), so getting them as well feels quite good regardless of the above, so both about cancel each other out.

Last edited:
This event is just another joy-less grind, only slightly better than the Snowman madness last season.
The uncertainty of success and likeliness of futile effort make me enjoy the game less. These events need some clear goal!!! Quests - like those seasonal q. in the reward book or during a challenge. Random, time limited rewards will please only those who don't care and piss off those who do.

Plus it looks like CDPR is forgetting that good games sell themselves, but good vanities are meaningless if the gameplay is not good enough! And right now, the meta is pretty horrible.

Overall, the early responses seem to show that CDPR has taken the wrong path with both the Snowman and the envelopes. Even if they make resource rewards more generous, it doesn't seem likely that players are going to play any more than they do just to grind random rewards. Likewise, it can be inferred that completing all the reward book trees also fails to motivate players. New players especially are at a disadvantage since they start the game a full year behind the rest of the player base.
I wonder if the loot box approach was being considered as a possible replacement for reward trees. I can see from CDPR's perspective, that this would save them time and money, as it would reduce the amount of time and resources they need to devote to building a page (creating artwork, coding it to the game). However, this isn't goign to make players happy. Older players like the progression to rewards system. Even close competitor games like MTGA and LoR have progression systems in place, even if the rewards at some points are random. Moving forward, if they really want to keep this system, then I think the only compromise that won't upset the community is to dellink cosmetic items from the random rewards pool and make them progress rewards in their own rights. In their place, individual card rewards (ICR) might be better motivators to get new players to play more.

Edit: To be fair though the Ore and Scrap rewards are worth 1-2 reward points (unlike the incredibly small ore/scrap rewards from the Yule event), so getting them as well feels quite good regardless of the above, so both about cancel each other out.

The amounts are random, though. I've had 2 drops that were over 100 scrap/ore and 5 that were 60-70, which is about what I get from regular daily quests and GG's. Now I concede that, for players without the resources and trying to build a complete collection, this is still more resources than regular non-event play. For those of us at the endgame, in terms of completing collections, the resources are pretty much the same as throwing an ice cube into a swimming pool.

Overall, the early responses seem to show that CDPR has taken the wrong path
I do like the event and appreciate the extra resources. Just because I'm not playing more does not mean that I do not like opening the envelopes and getting extra rewards.

As for the reward book, it is a long term project, even longer term with the introduction of the seasonal trees. As I said, I usually get only two reward points per day, it's going to take a while for me to do it. I am not pushing myself to play more than I want to just to fill a resource book, it does not mean the book is badly designed, it means I see it as a long term project.

DRK3

Forum veteran
So, yesterday opened 3 more envelopes, got my final trinket. Now i dont really have the need to open more envelopes, and here's my question:

Do the envelopes disappear at the end of the event if not opened? Because i like collecting kegs - got at least one of each of every keg obtainable without real money - and would like to keep an envelope for collection, but not if it will disappear anyway (dont need the resources in them anyway)

Even if they make resource rewards more generous, it doesn't seem likely that players are going to play any more than they do just to grind random rewards.

That's assuming that CDPR has these events to keep players busy, which I think isn't the main reason. Rather players expect a thematic event matching the real-world counterpart. Regardless, it's good to know players aren't (more) motivated by this (according to the limited pool).

But it did get me wondering if there is anyone out there grinding more either in the hope RNGesus gives them some cosmetics, or so desperately poor that the any resource drop falls into that "every little bit" helps catagory. So has the pseudo-lootbox approach motivated you to modify your playtime?

Can't say that I even remember what 'rewards' I've picked up recently...maybe I've gotten 2 of those Chinese New Years one...a border, maybe? I don't even remember what the one I picked up today was, and that was just over an hour or two ago.

So, no, this kind of stuff isn't a magnet for me. The sorry Daily Rewards make me play more than I might want to. Not sure for how much longer though.

I do like the event and appreciate the extra resources. Just because I'm not playing more does not mean that I do not like opening the envelopes and getting extra rewards.
Extra resources are fine. The main issues part of the player base had with the previous event, which this one is modelled on,
was the total randomness of lootbox drops and that highly desirable/motivating rewards that where progress-based in other events were handled by RNG this time around. CDPR has fixed the lootbox drop issue. They just need to fix the second one in a manner that is as fair as it can be for all players.

As for the reward book, it is a long term project, even longer term with the introduction of the seasonal trees. As I said, I usually get only two reward points per day, it's going to take a while for me to do it. I am not pushing myself to play more than I want to just to fill a resource book, it does not mean the book is badly designed, it means I see it as a long term project.

And that's definitely the thing where extra resource drops is fantastic for players like yourself. Currently your progress is hamstrung not only by the length of time it takes to complete a tree, but also the shear quantity of trees in the book. If CDPR would take cosmetics out of the lootboxes and replace them with individual card rewards (ICR), then this would definitely give time-poor players a leg up. The card reward is only going to result in one of 3 outcomes -
1. It fills a hole in the collection
2. It ends up being a lucky drop which gives the player a card that gets them closer to building a competitive deck; or,
3. It provides scrap resources at the minimum.

That's assuming that CDPR has these events to keep players busy, which I think isn't the main reason. Rather players expect a thematic event matching the real-world counterpart. Regardless, it's good to know players aren't (more) motivated by this (according to the limited pool).

In part, yes. But CDPR has done thematic events in the past that haven't deviated from the expected formula for the game at the time (e.g. Midwinter/Christmas, Makaham Ale Fest/Oktoberfest, Saovine/Halloween). I think there is some deeper reasoning behind the experimentation. As I said about the Yule festival, lootbox drops can provide a way of rewarding players for playing, even if the season dictates they have less time to play. Allowing RNG to handle rewards plays into this, but it also lines up with how their competitiors handle their reward systems.

Another thing to consider is that reward book completion becomes unattainable to new players as new trees are added for expansions, seasons and other events. I could see the lootbox-style of event modified to cover factional challenges, some expansion rewards and seasonal rewards. Particularly for seasons, it would allow current trees to be pruned since the lootbox could handle powder, scrap and ore rewards. For expansions, theoretically, it could even negate the need for new addiditions to the reward book entirely; saving CDPR time, money and ingame resources.

I got another red envelope today and within seconds of opening I had already forgotten what I got...I think I saw what I got...how can I check what I got?

I got another red envelope today and within seconds of opening I had already forgotten what I got...I think I saw what I got...how can I check what I got?

For scrap, ore, powder, unfortunately the only way to check is by keeping an eye on your balance. The only thing you can check is the cosmetics. There's 2 new borders, avatars and titles - source.

But since you say you it didn't stand out in your memory, it probably wasn't anything shiny or big enough to write home about.
If you're worried you might have missed something, you can check Trendy Gwentleman to see all the Lunar New Year Trinkets - link before having a look in the usual in-game places trinkets and cardbacks go to.

Just be aware that paid and free content are all lumped in together. So things like the Chinese coin border, which was part of the bundle deal, is in their 'Borders' catagory with the free ones.

30 envelopes and still no cardback!!!!! I'm starting to get a bit worried, i have only 4 or maybe 6 more chances.
If they make another random event like this I SWEAR i'm going to uninstal and i will never touch this game ever again.

30 envelopes and still no cardback!!!!! I'm starting to get a bit worried, i have only 4 or maybe 6 more chances.
If they make another random event like this I SWEAR i'm going to uninstal and i will never touch this game ever again.
Yeah, still no cardback for me either. Just like the last event, I'm getting matched with plenty of opponents who have it. At this point I've even stopped caring about playing Gwent daily. Daily play in MTGA and LoR both give me good rewards. MTGA, I'm getting at least a level and a bit a day in the mastery pass along with gems and coins for playing casual and draft. LoR I'm just about complete for my first regional tree and getting enough XP to unlock 2 diamond and a platinum chest (basically a metric f--kton of rewards).

Gwent, unfortunately just doesn't compete well in for rewarding loyalty through regular play any more. These RNG events just make it feel worse to play daily for more than 6 rounds won. It's just as likely the guy with the cardback got it in his first drop or ground out 4 crowns a day for it.

Cardbacks isn't something that worries me. I got another "Meh" red envelope a few minutes ago. If I got a Season cardback I doubt that I'd equip it anyway. I've set the Tavern board as my default. I don't mind that board on the moving ship but I wouldn't pay for it.

Top Bottom