*REDCLOTH,MODDING,KILLING MONSTERS cloak*

+
As ive heard from people REDCLOTH files prevent us from getting a KILLING MONSTERS cloak and other similar items, so;
Is it possible for you guys(CDPR) to make REDCLOTH file(s) editable for modders so we USERS can get cool stuff like killing monsters cape(even a closer look than what we have currently)?

Not a modder myself, asking this because people really want to see killing monsters cloak in-game as shown in several trailers aswell as new stuff created by our spectacular modding community.

That‘s likely not going to change. CDPR is very focused on Cyberpunk and Gwent right now. Keep in mind that TW3 was released almost 5 years ago.

Besides, certain editing limitations are most likely intended.

Thanks for moving my thread to this section, i cant post here yet.

Got the game 3 years ago.
I know its almost 5yo and i also know its a far-fetched cry.

I reallly, really hope that someone or at least a small group of people continue supporting modders in some way OR provide further tools for our modding community.

Anyway, thanks again.

the modkit theoretically does support redcloth files. Due to either being half broken or lacking documentation (likely the former tho) noone has gotten it to work.

in any case, any support from cdpr at this point is rather unlikely.

maxresdefault.jpg

Thanks

I got redcloth to work a while ago. The trick is everything is stored in the collision cache. Most data on the redcloth files actually don't do anything they're just leftover from when you generate the collision cache. This probably confused a lot of people trying to mod redcloth files. The redcloth files just manage materials. The modkit does fully support it.

You need something to make an apex cloth file. I used Maya 2016 with PhysX SDK 3.3.0
You can see how to make apb with Maya here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tJSUOYHOSA
Newer versions of the SDK will not work, Maya 2016 is the latest. The equivalent Apex Cloth SDK on 3ds Max will work too.
Here are some of the maya files I was messing around with:

Here are example commands you would use to import an apex cloth file:
Code:
.\wcc_lite.exe import -depot="D:\w3.modding\redcloth\apex\Raw\" -file="D:\w3.modding\redcloth\apex\Raw\dlc\0000____replace\data\cloth\dress_px.apb" -out="D:\w3.modding\redcloth\apex\Uncooked\dlc\0000____replace\data\cloth\dress_px.redcloth"

.\wcc_lite.exe cook -platform=pc -mod="D:\w3.modding\redcloth\apex\Uncooked" -basedir="D:\w3.modding\redcloth\apex\Uncooked" -outdir="D:\w3.modding\redcloth\apex\Cooked"

.\wcc_lite.exe buildcache physics -db="D:\w3.modding\redcloth\apex\Cooked\cook.db" -basedir="D:\w3.modding\redcloth\apex\Cooked\" -out="D:\w3.modding\redcloth\apex\Packed\collision.cache" -platform=pc
Edit the redcloth file with wolvenkit to include variables like mtlGravityScale, mtlMassScale etc. you would see on a normal redcloth file. I just copy the settings of redcloth files already in the game. Values from the apex cloth file do not work you need to use these values to actually make the cloth work in game without it floating into the sky weightlessly.

You need to fix the file for CR2W files' crc32 checksums after you edit in the values
This gist will fix them:
https://gist.github.com/Lim3zer0/33f382ddf3cfefca0b00af9f62050393
Source code:
CR2WConsole and example redcloth file:

Run CR2WConsole.exe and select your redcloth file to fix it before you run the "buildcache physics" command. It won't build without this.

Remember to add your collision.cache to the mod root folder.

Last edited:
I thought no one would actually come up with something. You got me HYPED, i hope this means we can actually get the cape we were waiting for years and more items like it.

Thanks for replying, im gonna direct this to a friend now since i created this thread mainly for his current project(HOODS) and i have no experience in modding at all.

I made a better proof of concept example based on the killing monsters cloak:
43673573734.jpg

Here is a dlc to test out the cloak:
You can buy the cloak from the griffin merchant in white orchard. It has no icon so look hard for the blank square in the shop. It doesn't have any proper materials and has a lot of clipping everywhere.

Video:

Maya file of the cloak:

If I get some time I can make it work and look better. It would be good to see others attempt redcloth mods.

Not gonna lie this is very promising, would look gorgeous without the clippings and proper material(i recommend X20T3rMiN4t0R's material from the HOODS mod) and also with dark gray color.

I talked about this with X20T3rMiN4tOR and he is interested in it and said he needs some time.
I would love to see other modders work on redcloth files and create more stuff, maybe its not too late to start modding myself no ?

Great piece, really appreciate the effort. Thanks.

I missed a step explaining that you need to build the collision.cache with the uncooked redcloth placed in the cooked folder.

I've been using a bat file to do all the commands for the last while. I'll share a mega folder with those. I put up the cloak mod folder structure I was using too.

https://mega.nz/#F!p25gRKAL!tjD1SaWlI5WcrI6z3khsAA

"apex.bat" finds an apb you save with maya in "C:\dress_px.apb" then does a bunch of commands until it builds a collision.cache

Use wolvenkit to edit in the redcloth values in the cooked folder then run "apex_collision.bat" to update the collision.cache. This makes it really quick to do any changes. You have to set all the proper paths in the bat file of course.

You need the proper materials in the engine folder too if you want to use more than the default apex material. Actually it's probably better if you just use default material before you build the cache and just edit materials in wolvenkit later. Material stuff can cause errors with cache building.

Last edited:

X20T3rMiN4tOR has now added a redcloth cloak to his hoods mod:

Hi
I missed a step explaining that you need to build the collision.cache with the uncooked redcloth placed in the cooked folder.

I've been using a bat file to do all the commands for the last while. I'll share a mega folder with those. I put up the cloak mod folder structure I was using too.

https://mega.nz/#F!p25gRKAL!tjD1SaWlI5WcrI6z3khsAA

"apex.bat" finds an apb you save with maya in "C:\dress_px.apb" then does a bunch of commands until it builds a collision.cache

Use wolvenkit to edit in the redcloth values in the cooked folder then run "apex_collision.bat" to update the collision.cache. This makes it really quick to do any changes. You have to set all the proper paths in the bat file of course.

You need the proper materials in the engine folder too if you want to use more than the default apex material. Actually it's probably better if you just use default material before you build the cache and just edit materials in wolvenkit later. Material stuff can cause errors with cache building.

- Trying to repeat your path of adding *.redcloth, following your instructions

- Here is my apb file https://s5.gifyu.com/images/2020022917500890.gif

- After processing the file *. apb through apex.bat I get 5 folders with files: Raw, Uncooked, Cooked, wolvenProjects and in the folder witcher 3 / DLC file collision.cache

- I edit in wolvenkit the * .redcloth file located in the "wolvenProjects" folder, add cloth material and cloth physics to it. It is right? Or should I edit the * .redcloth file similarly in the Raw and Cooked folders as well?

- do I need to use CR2WTools after editing file *.redcloth in the wolvenkit contained in the folders "wolvenProjects, Raw, Uncooked, Cooked"?

- After editing in wolvenkit *.redcloth, it is unclear how to use apex_collision.bat, since the path of this * .bat does not seem to see the file that I am changing in wolvenkit and therefore collision.cache also does not change

I will be glad to any advice

Last edited:
- I edit in wolvenkit the * .redcloth file located in the "wolvenProjects" folder, add cloth material and cloth physics to it. It is right? Or should I edit the * .redcloth file similarly in the Raw and Cooked folders as well?
The * .redcloth in the "wolvenProjects" is a copy of the * .redcloth that was generated for the Cooked folder. This is what you add materials to as if you were editing a normal mesh with wolvenkit.

The physics variables need to only be applied to the redcloth that is generated and put inside the Uncooked folder by wcc-lite. This file should be much bigger than the cooked redcloth. The trick is this should also be put in the Cooked folder and overwrite the real cooked redcloth before you build the collision cache. The bat file takes care of most of this moving stuff around. When the bat is run the * .redcloth in the Cooked folder should be the same as what is in the Uncooked. Then you just have to edit this single * .redcloth in the Cooked folder.

- do I need to use CR2WTools after editing file *.redcloth in the wolvenkit contained in the folders "wolvenProjects, Raw, Uncooked, Cooked"?

- After editing in wolvenkit *.redcloth, it is unclear how to use apex_collision.bat, since the path of this * .bat does not seem to see the file that I am changing in wolvenkit and therefore collision.cache also does not change

I will be glad to any advice
You need to run CR2WTools once after you edit the large uncooked redcloth file that was put in the Cooked folder.
There has been some activity on the Wolven-kit project very recently to fix the CR2W writing. It is still being developed. Once it is released you should not need CR2WTools anymore. Or you could try compile the current branch yourself and see if it's working.

apex_collision.bat is only for the Cooked folder with the large edited *.redcloth. It doesn't need to see the wolvenkit project it only needs to move the cache to where it is installed. You should pack the wolvenkit project before you run this.

Thanks for your reply
I will try again according to your recommendations
Post automatically merged:

good day!
- I continued to try to export the * .redcloth file to the TW3 game.

- After processing the file *. apb through apex.bat I get 5 folders with files: Raw, Uncooked, Cooked, wolvenProjects and in the folder witcher 3 / DLC file collision.cache

- I edited the big * .redcloth file in the Cooked/Uncooked folder with the added physics of the cloth.

- I also created a dlc/mod according to your instructions with file a * .redcloth in which cloth material was added, the file * .redcloth itself was placed on the character.

- after that I processed * .redcloth in the Cooked folder via CR2WTools, this attempt was successful or not, I don’t understand since there are no messages about the success or failure of this operation.

- then I run apex_collision.bat and such an error occurs that is visible in the screenshot.

- can you see a mistake in my actions?
skin.jpg

Last edited:
I seems to be some problem with the CR2W fix if it's still throwing those errors.
Did you run CR2WConsole.exe from this link:
or the one in the CR2WTools source code link? That one might need to be recompiled.

When you run CR2WConsole.exe from the first link you might need to press enter in the command line. You should be able to confirm if it modified the file by the modified date. If all else fails I would try getting Visual Studio and compiling the new CR2W-parsing branch of Wolven-kit and editing with that.

good day!
- I continued to try to export the * .redcloth file to the TW3 game.

- Definitely, the good news is that your CR2WTools probably works correctly.

- After processing the file *. apb through apex.bat I get 5 folders with files: Raw, Uncooked, Cooked, wolvenProjects and in the folder witcher 3 / DLC file collision.cache.

but at this point apex.bat reports an error with materials for * .redcloth
- see screenshot 1.
skrin_apex1.jpg

I intended to eliminate this error by adding physics to wolvenkit in large Cooked / cloak.redcloth and adding material to small DLC / cloak.redcloth.

- further, I edited the big * .redcloth file in the Cooked / Uncooked folder with the added physics of the cloth.

- I also created a dlc / mod according to your instructions with file a * .redcloth in which cloth material was added, the file * .redcloth itself was placed on the character.

- after that I processed * .redcloth in the Cooked folder via CR2WTools, I did an additional press of the enter and CR2WTools worked correctly, it can be seen from the time the file changed and apex_collision.bat further does not report an error with collision.cache but leaves an error with materials for * .redcloth.
- see screenshot 2.
skrin_apex2.jpg

- the only thing I’m not sure for sure is whether I am editing the large Cooked / cloak.redcloth correctly.

- and of course this redcloth is not visible in the game.

- maybe you have the opportunity to provide a sample editing large Cooked / cloak.redcloth in the form of a screenshot or the file itself?

Now it looks to be normal issues with cook.db and materials in the engine folder. Try delete cook.db and cook again and check apex.w2mg is in the engine/material
I've tested this sample project:
It already has the redcloth in the cooked folder edited and fixed and it should be building the collision cache first try.

good day!

- I used the method proposed above to achieve the export of a non-vanilla *.redcloth file to the game TW3. The result is negative.

- After processing the file *. apb through first apex.bat I get 5 folders with files: Raw, Uncooked, Cooked, wolvenProjects and in the folder witcher 3 / DLC file collision.cache.

- But this time there are no errors from the first apex.bat, file processing *. apb, according to the report from WCC proceeds correctly.

- The key was the information about the presence in the "Cooked" folder of files "engine \ materials \ defaults \ apex.w2mg" - my useless struggle with the "material error" to fix which was spent 90% of the time was caused by an elementary lack of a full description of the file’s operating protocol " apex.bat ".

- I also created a dlc / mod according to your instructions with little file a *.redcloth in which cloth material was added, then the little file * .redcloth itself was placed on the character.

- after that I processed big file *.redcloth in the Cooked folder via CR2WTools and CR2WTools worked correctly.

- Next, I packed files through "Wolven-kit" for the DLC / Mod, containing:
DLC
- file *.w2ent - container containing "redcloth" itself.
- a small *.redcloth file.
Mod
- *.w2ent file - character with added container for "redcloth".

- Next, I processed the large * .redcloth file in the / Cooked folder, through apex_collision.bat, processing the * .redcloth file according to the report from WCC went correctly, without errors. The source file "collision.cache" in the / DLC folder has been modified.

- There were no visible or obvious errors during the entire process described.

- Clothing * .redcloth on the character in the game TW3 did not appear.
-------------------------------
- The first and obvious way to find a mistake is to check the very way the * .redcloth clothes are placed on the character.

- For this in the DLC
- file * .w2ent - container containing "redcloth" itself.
was placed - "vanilla.redcloth".
For verification, a nude figure was taken that did not contain any vanilla *.redcloth and consisting of three meshes, a head, a hairstyle, a torso.
Of course, these clothes immediately appeared on the character in the game.

- Next, various correction methods were tested through the "Wolven-kit" of the large and small *.redcloth created by the first "apex.bat". The result is negative.

- Further, it was suggested that my original file *. apb - bad or wrong, the whole export algorithm has been done several times for your dress_px.apb file. This file was in one of the archives posted in this post. The result is negative.

- Conclusion - the export procedure itself consists of a rather long chain of transformations and the error can be anywhere.

- Probably, without a reliable way to evaluate the * .apb file itself or its criteria, as a high-quality file for export or a low-quality file for export, the export procedure itself looks very uncertain.

- I don’t know whether it is important or not to create mod and collision.cache files in the DLC, and can this be done in the "Mod" section?
But this multiplicity can create inappropriate confusion and cause spontaneous errors.

- Does the proposed export mechanism mean for the * .apb file that we get such a pattern - one file *.apb = one DLC / Mod file?
And therefore, the number of new *.redcloth files (new clothes) is limited by the capacity of the DLC / Mod partitions in TW3?

On this my report is completed.

I keep thinking about my failure to import the "* .redcloth" file into the game.

- when I import the * .FBX file into the * .w2mesh file, the material information for this * .FBX is in a separate file - * .xml.

- If there is an error in the * .xml file with the description of the materials, then the material "default" will be written to the * .w2mesh file, namely -
engine \ materials \ defaults \ mesh.w2mg.

- and of course such * .w2mesh is not visible in the game, because it does not have real information about the materials.

--------------------
- I am very confused that the proposed "apex.bat" or "WCC" (I do not know for sure) when exporting * .apb file use the analogical material "default", namely -
engine \ materials \ defaults \ apex.w2mg.

This definitely indicates an error with importing real material for the * .apb file.

- It is very likely that the import of the * .apb file should occur together with the * .xml file, with information about the materials for it. Similar to the import process of the * .FBX file.

- Of course, I made an attempt to simply add the * .xml file to my * .apb file, the result was negative.

Late to the party...but is it possible to export these redcloth meshe int obj format to use in other tools like blender without any use for their collision data?

Would it be possible to have also a list of tools needed to get those meshes from the game and where to find them?

I do not car about the collision data...i'll be using these meshes outside f the game,and i don't need that,i juts need to know if its possible to get those meshes and how many tools would one need,to see if its like a waste of time or doable.

Top Bottom