REDkit - Clarity PLEASE!!!

+
REDkit - Clarity PLEASE!!!

hey all,

I am new to the community and have been very excited by many people saying that a new redkit for the Witcher 3 may be released soon after the release of BaW and combined with early statements from game developers and the like it seems it was promised.

However on the other side I have asked different members on this forum and people linked to CDPR who have said no it wont be coming or not at this time ect. ect.

Is there any chance of getting an official statement on this from CDPR, it seems some files were leaked so it may have been in development but they have said nothing is planned, can we get a categorical public statement telling us what to expect, its horrid not knowing if I will or wont get the opportunity to mod this beautiful game.

so what do people think, will we get one, wont we? will we ever get a response from CDPR on this, I hope so!

In an interview in 2014 Marcin Iwinski said they were looking to release Redkit3 after releasing the main game. I do hope he's a man of his word, and it wasn't said just to get more sales. Time will show if he just did a Peter Molyneux.

My personal feeling is he was just talking out of his ass to get the hype train going though. We'll see.

Going to copy my post on reddit, you might learn something "more".

I want to believe that yes, we can expect it. (redkit)
But I doubt it. Many people asked CDPR on twitter/reddit on even forums, if we will get some kind of better tools/editor for this god damn good game. The answer is always
"This is the mod support for the Wild Hunt. At this moment we are not planning to release anything else."
Releasing such tool, Redkit in this case, would be very good business step as the game would pretty much live forever.
I post some sort of "evidence", or any information about better modding tools down here

https://twitter.com/marcin360/status/632182348260470784
http://puu.sh/oMOk6/b423e78495.png
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Z1lpdqG2QQ This guy, Phillip Weber, worked on biggest moding project do Witcher 2 Lykaon. He left because he had to work on Witcher 3, now please, check the first comment.
"It's the Redkit for The Witcher 2. Unfortunately I can't really tell you about the specifics of the new one, since it's still in development. But I can say for sure that it is in basically every case way more powerful and easy to use. I can quickly do things that I could not even dream of with the Witcher 2 Redkit. After Witcher 3, the new Redkit will be released to the public."
So maybe we will get something, maybe not. But I wouldn't bet on it.

that's the thing though, so many statements saying yes there will be, now knocked back by others saying no and yet no one from CDPR has had any balls to say clearly to the community that it wont happen so we just don't know.

People will always be saying that it might come until the devs put that idea to bed but until they do there will always be speculation.

Personally I think it is scandalous that following promises for a REDkit 3 (or similar) tool it has not been released, although I will reserve judgement of CDPR until a month or so after BaW when it could still be released.

Once their tool has been improved (and who knows. Red Kit 4 arrived), we may be contemplating Red Kit 3. I truly believe the main issue is with intellectual property and lack of time to document the tools.

AFAIK, it was quite hellish to use the tools already for CDPR developers, which pretty much excludes making it a public tool

Because they had the intention to do it. But as always in game dev: plans change. teams have to work on more important aspects of the game and so on.

and yet despite all the speculation on these forums and others which i hope they are aware of they have not categorically stated that an editor will not become available. The editor was clearly in development if you look at the posts above, not to mention statements before launch.

If those statements were in order to boost sale which it looks increasingly likely, has there not been a serious ethical and trust breach here? the complexity and lack of tutorials for the mod tools that have been released seem to be actively driving good modders away from this community.

and yet despite all the speculation on these forums and others which i hope they are aware of they have not categorically stated that an editor will not become available. The editor was clearly in development if you look at the posts above, not to mention statements before launch.

If those statements were in order to boost sale which it looks increasingly likely, has there not been a serious ethical and trust breach here? the complexity and lack of tutorials for the mod tools that have been released seem to be actively driving good modders away from this community.

Seriously ? a serious Ethical and Trust breach there ? Did you discover video games yesterday ? Developers reveal theirs plans, in a perfect world. Then they released what they can / what their investors agree.

TW3 was launched without mod support. If anyone considered TW3 only for its mod support, then that someone should buy the game only when the mod support is appropriate for his use.

TW3 was not a kickstarter, and none of us invested any money in the project. You bought a finished product, whose quality was by far among the best gaming product of 2015 (GOTY, nominee for GOTY [...]).

I think it's not over until is over. I mean we will get the RedKit 2 AFTER the last expansion is out.

I think they wanted to release the RedKit 2 from the start but their investors or someone else persuaded them it was a better business move not to release it before the last dlc was out, in order to increase the selling of their DLCs. But since we were nagging them about tools, they gave us this crappy toolkit for the moment. They never really denied the existence of the RedKit 2 or told they will never and never release it, so let's keep hoping until september. I think september would be a good release date for the RedKit 2, it's enough time to sell B&W.

To make long story short. CDPR officially planned to release REDkit as part of their effort to release REDengine for other developers. For unexplained reason they dropped the later plans, and REDkit plans were dropped subsequently as well.

My personal expectation - they'll release REDkit when they'll decide to release the engine after all.

Last edited:
I simply expect them to have had troubles with removing all the proprietary stuff from the Redkit,
or realizing that Redkit would be useless without all the ease of use tech behind it.
Simplygon Autolod, Umbra's culling stuff, etc. etc.

No way they would be able to redistribute their modkit with all this stuff still in there.
I'd bet my behind on it, that this is the only thing keeping them from releasing Redkit.

If i recall correctly i read that the redkit had a lot of problems and crashes, they might have postponed the redkit release due to technical problems.
On the other hand blood and wine will bring new assets and better graphical quality to the game, updating a working redkit can break a lot of mods and assets, it is wiser to release a redkit that will be compatible with the latest version of the game, instead of releasing huge updates. How many complains will modders and CDPR receive if a working version of an area will look worst then something done with a later version of redkit? How many modders will leave after receiving toxic comments?

I hope that CDPR will release redkit in the coming months and i understand their logic behind postponing the release.

Last edited:
I'm not holding my breath for an official REDkit. CDP seems (at least to me) to care very deeply about TW3. If they had a functioning REDkit, they would have released it by now. Whether or not it's coming is still up in the air, I would imagine (if it comes at all) that it won't be released until after B&W.

If it comes out, awesome. If not, just remember there are already quite a few tools available for modding this game. This isn't Skyrim where mods are almost required to have a blast - TW3 is a great game on it's own. Really, I'm quite satisfied with mesh/texture mods and balance tweaks.

I'm not holding my breath for an official REDkit. CDP seems (at least to me) to care very deeply about TW3. If they had a functioning REDkit, they would have released it by now. Whether or not it's coming is still up in the air, I would imagine (if it comes at all) that it won't be released until after B&W.

If it comes out, awesome. If not, just remember there are already quite a few tools available for modding this game. This isn't Skyrim where mods are almost required to have a blast - TW3 is a great game on it's own. Really, I'm quite satisfied with mesh/texture mods and balance tweaks.

Exactly. This game is pretty close to being perfect on its own. A few balance tweaks, new armors and some improved textures, it's all we need.

Exactly. This game is pretty close to being perfect on its own. A few balance tweaks, new armors and some improved textures, it's all we need.

I was planning a pretty large unofficial expansion of zerrikania before the RedKit 2 was known to be axed. would probably have taken years, but a whole new area to explore... It could have happened.

another thing that may have posponed the release of the kit is the fact that they have to build an almost entirely new engine, the last one wasn't supporting open world, and they focus on optimized in it first before thinking of a tool that will be out of date every time they have to patch it.

From what we learn from the different previews of blood and wine, they finally finish it :)

Considering that they are now trying to update their in-house tools based on feedback from the main game (follow the CP2077 news for more info on that, can't find an article now :) ), I'd say IF they will release it, it will be at least after they finish the update process. From what I have read, they are updating both graphical capacity of the engine for CP2077, and introducing lots of ease of use stuff (according to Jose Teixeira).

I was planning a pretty large unofficial expansion of zerrikania before the RedKit 2 was known to be axed. would probably have taken years, but a whole new area to explore... It could have happened.

Maybe. Provided it took them more than 6 months to build Blood & Wine, I still believe RedKit's assumed ease of use has somewhat been overgrown by the community

Top Bottom