REDkit - Clarity PLEASE!!!

+
From my POV it seems as CDprojekt is -kind of- sabotaging their own game. Even if they want to be finished with it (at least for now), there is no reason for them to not give the tools (REAL tools, not what we have now) to the talented users so they can keep making the game (which is already at the top) even better.
There are several reasons and excuses, except they aren't good, but they still have them.

... not give the tools...

I'm no expert but I believe that it's kind of hard to give tools that you haven't yet made.

Making a toolset suitable for release to the public probably isn't cheap and because of this such tools won't be made if there isn't any money to be made. CDPR is a company after all, just as any other studio.

I guess that the main reason for the ''180'' by CDPR is that they were going to license the RED engine but then Crytek and UE etc. changed the markets by dropping prices --> CDPR didn't find this to be a worthwhile market anymore and thus cancelling the project which also meant the doom of the REDKit.

Last edited:
I'm no expert but I believe that it's kind of hard to give tools that you haven't yet made.

Well, at least show some intention to this all around purpose like giving modders some facilities to help their work, even if its not the tools themselves. In the mean time you can preparte the tools and have a fluent communication with the modding community so that they -at least- have some hope.

Imaging beign a modder, having to work hard to create your mod thanks to the relative uneasy tools they have right now, having to look by themselves the changes brought by every update, having to re-do almost all of (in most cases) their mods thanks to those changes and still having use that uneasy tools to do that, and finally not knowing if things will change positively or if cdprojekt will abandon the modding obvious related problems after the last bugfix patch they promised.

Despite all of that, we still have awesome mods which are still beign updated by noninterested parties who just do it out of love for the game.

This makes me think that even if cdprojekt is way better than most devs out there (something most of us will agree upon), the modding community seems to behave even better than cdprojekt themselves. In MOBA terms, modders are the real carries here.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I really would like to see proper tools. Hell, I was all eager to get into modding after realizing how amazing the game was but that didn't happen. :sadtriss:

. In the mean time you can preparte the tools and have a fluent communication with the modding community so that they -at least- have some hope.

If CDPR could remove the texture mod limit or give us a proper explanation why it's there in the first place then that it least would be start. As this creates even more unnecessary headaches about Witcher 3 modding, especially for those that just want to use mods and don't have the time or skill and so on to create them.

Don't get me wrong, I really would like to see proper tools. Hell, I was all eager to get into modding after realizing how amazing the game was but that didn't happen. :sadtriss:

Well, that's another problem, there were and still are many opportunities lost because of the path cd took. Many possible modders who would had made awesome stuff but were turned down thanks to the complexity of this tools.

In economics this is be related to opportunity cost, and if you analyze that aspect of cd's decision, the costs were (and still are) too high.

If CDPR could remove the texture mod limit or give us a proper explanation why it's there in the first place then that it least would be start. As this creates even more unnecessary headaches about Witcher 3 modding, especially for those that just want to use mods and don't have the time or skill and so on to create them.

Might be related to engine limitations, but to be completely sure of that we would have to do reverse engineering which IMO is not worth all the trouble (and depending on the EULA, it could be punishable). Just a simple answer is all it takes to clarify that, the problem would be if they dont have strong arguments regarding why the put it in the first place, in that case if i was them i wouldnt give an answer too :D (that's why i think that's what's going on here).

Last edited:

Guest 2364765

but that didn't happen. :sadtriss:
And it's not going to. Witcher 3 is done, it's a finished product. There's a minimal team left to support it till the end of the year by patching bugs and once they patch everything or 2017 arrives (whatever comes first i suppose) they'll put it on a shelf and fully move on to new projects.

Honestly, there's nothing to do about the subject but whine or give up on it. CDPR is done and they won't ever touch the subject officially again, hell even promised "future updates" to the crappy "modkit" didn't really happen past first update.

In terms of modding CDPR was probably done around 1.08 when script mods support was added

Probably my only main issue is the refusal to come clean, admit they did not deliver due to this or another reason, if it's just money or manpower i guess that fair amount of community would willingly donate in order to have them focus on developing Redkit for a while instead of...standalone gwent...?

I've asked both customer support, Marcin Momot and another CDPR employee and they are basically all saying the same thing as when the 'modkit' came out, which to say is that the current modkit is the only modsupport for The Witcher 3:Wild Hunt planned. Would have loved to have it but have sort of accepted that they won't release current REDengine to the public.

What bugs me personally is that they never comment on it. No explanation as to why they were all hyped about "the new quests people were gonna create" but then when the game was released, they went a completely different direction. Sure we can speculate, but I'd like to see an official statement.

@Marcin Momot but it's not going to get you anywhere. It's a touchy subject and poking the PR man is not going to do anything, CDPR themselves probably never even admitted to themselves that they failed in this aspect.

They should publicy state THAT then, which would be something like this:

"We have make such a great game that we honestly do not care about enhacing it's modding aspect or your opinions about it, we aren't going to make any changes further on so you are gonna have -at least- some stability to work with, see you later with our next great game Cyberpunk 2077"

They probably wouldnt do this because they most likely think this would be a PR disaster, but considering what they have already done (nothing) and it's impact (let's be real, won't have much impact in the general playerbase and people will still love them) they wouldnt lose much with a statement like that, and this would give us a clear answer once for all.

Btw, if money or resources are the problem, i think they will have enough support from us (either monetary as donations or as free work from talented users, like linux) to create it, but if they don't even communicate their limitations it's hard for us to be magicians and know what is the problem.

Last edited:
Succes is always the beginning of the end. CDPR honesty seems to be dead for obvious reason. Different scale than before in terms of community and expectations. They had a chance to become as appreciated as bethesda in terms of modding for almost nothing. It makes me sad but we all can expect more and more dishonesty from them from now on. Simply because what is at stake for them is bigger and bigger. CDPR will never be the same now. We should accept that. Now they are not the best game studio anymore. They are the best AAA game studio... The most honest among them but it still makes a huge difference compare to how they were before. Full honesty is now gone and politcal rethoric is in place. We have to accept that. We will never know why we don't get redkit and it's not the last thing we will not know. The CDPR group is not talking to us anymore but to investors...

What bugs me personally is that they never comment on it. No explanation as to why they were all hyped about "the new quests people were gonna create" but then when the game was released, they went a completely different direction. Sure we can speculate, but I'd like to see an official statement.

Indeed, I think even just a mere days before the release of the game they indicated on this very forum that Redkit was still coming. But once the game released it is like you said. As with most "touchy" subjects that come their way these days and with one situation in particular it was claimed they had learned their lesson from of how things were communicated.

I also remember word of how communication would improve after the release of Blood and Wine but... well.

Succes is always the beginning of the end. CDPR honesty seems to be dead for obvious reason.
Let me guess, the modding community is not big enough to give them a reason to put investment on the REDkit, and they won't get afraid of being dishonest to a few modders.

Guest 2364765

Let me guess, the modding community is not big enough to give them a reason to put investment on the REDkit, and they won't get afraid of being dishonest to a few modders.
Modding community consists of both creators and users. It's not like only a narrow population of mod creators got deceived.

Let me guess, the modding community is not big enough to give them a reason to put investment on the REDkit,.

And it sure as hell ain't easy to build a strong modding community without modders actually having access to proper tools.

Sure it could had been worse, Modkit as at least better than the game having no mod support whatsoever but since this is CDPR I simply expected more. Not only that we aware promised more and I felt no reason to back then not to trust those words.

Oh, how things have changed...

I think the reasons are probably costs and engine limitations. But, since they are developing cyperpunk with redengine3, we may still have some hope that they will release a proper redkit in the future, hopefully not after cyperpunk2077 release, I know I will be playing that game then...

I think the reasons are probably costs and engine limitations. But, since they are developing cyperpunk with redengine3, we may still have some hope that they will release a proper redkit in the future, hopefully not after cyperpunk2077 release, I know I will be playing that game then...
"engine limitations"

:facepalm2:

Do you even know what you're talking about?

REDkit is a streamlined version of their in-house engine SDK and game editor.

Top Bottom