REDkit - Clarity PLEASE!!!

+
REDengine and REDkit aren't mutually exclusive.

You're talking about a whole game engine and on the other hand tools that let you modify a specific game that uses it.

They don't need to be tied, but CDPR made their release dependent on each other. I assume it's simply the effort issue. I.e. if they are to release the engine, releasing the editor is a requirement anyway, and developing it will be funded by those who pay for the engine. And if they don't release the engine, releasing the editor alone will put on them the burden of supporting and developing it with no profit. So I guess they don't want to do the later. Apparently CDPR don't care about modding alone.

Last edited:
They don't need to be tied, but CDPR made their release dependent on each other. I assume it's simply the effort issue. I.e. if they are to release the engine, releasing the editor is a requirement anyway, and developing it will be funded by those who pay for the engine. And if they don't release the engine, releasing the editor alone will put on them the burden of supporting and developing it with no profit. So I guess they don't want to do the later. Apparently CDPR don't care about modding alone.
I don't know if you understand but the REDkit is a streamlined, simpler version of the tools they use themselves. It doesn't require "development", rather just a repackage of the capabilities they want to share, and maybe some UI changes if they feel like it.

I don't know if you understand but the REDkit is a streamlined, simpler version of the tools they use themselves. It doesn't require "development", rather just a repackage of the capabilities they want to share, and maybe some UI changes if they feel like it.
It does require development if it doesn't exist :) While they made one for TW2, they didn't make one for TW3. Now, coming and saying: "give me tools for TW3" can mean two things. 1. Provide the full editor (that's equivalent to them releasing the engine too). 2. Make the limited editor (which doesn't exist yet).

#1. is the minimal effort for them (the editor already exists and they themselves used it to make the game), but if they don't want to release the engine it won't happen.
#2. is a substantial effort, and they don't want to bother (yeah, again - they don't care about modding on such level as to do all that work).

There was the leaked version of REDKit 2, but yeah, that would probably require a good amount of work on it to make it barely usable.
I suppose the leaked version was their full editor which they planned to release in the past (but cancelled those plans).

Most work would be trying to limit it. And they probably don't want to spend their time on this.

To be realistic. The best chance of any editor coming out, is CDPR releasing their engine. That might happen for CP2077, or might never happen at all. Time will tell.

Last edited:
I suppose the leaked version was their full editor which they planned to release in the past (but cancelled those plans).

Most work would be trying to limit it. And they probably don't want to spend their time on this.

To be realistic. The best chance of any editor coming out, is CDPR releasing their engine. That might happen for CP2077, or might never happen at all. Time will tell.

The leaked version looked a lot like the witcher 2 redkit so i guess it had functions that allowed modders to mod witcher 3 a not more then that

I lost hope that the editor will ever come out. I cant find a lot of valid reasons for not releasing an editor in the coming months.

If they want to compete with other engines that support vulcan, then give us the an editor for the witcher 3 give us functions that will let us create content for the game, we will beta test it. The witcher 2 is operational and still in beta.

If it because the lack of mods made for the witcher 2, releasing an editor a year before the announced release day of that game sequel, a game that suppose to have superior editor and an open world will cause modders to wait for the next editor, it take about 6 months to a year to create an interesting and big quest mod, and open world game give a lot more options and settings for a quest mods.

Buggy editor can be corrected, it is easier to gut function then to add ones, we seen the leaked version of the editor so there is something that should work with some tweeking (take time, money and assets from the company)

Last edited:
If they wanted community to fix bugs, they had to open source the editor. Otherwise the burden of bug fixes would one on them only. And even in the former case, it's not a trivial thing, and they would have to manage it as a project, i.e. allocate people and resource on it. And if they wouldn't do it, it would frustrate people even more than not releasing it at all.

In the end, it all boils down to money. They simply don't want to spend money on this (i.e. paying people to do this work).

Never said that the community need to bugfix the editor i meant that the community can be a large scale beta testing. for that the company will need to allocate resources and people to read the posted bugs and fix them. the question here do they want a working editor. in my opinion giving the community the ability to beta test the editor will make the engine better, something that will be easier to sell.

the question here do they want a working editor. in my opinion giving the community the ability to beta test the editor will make the engine better, something that will be easier to sell.

Yes, but the catch is... TW3 engine is already obsolete. I.e. they moved past that, and they don't care to improve it anymore. All their efforts are on the next iteration of the engine (that's used for CP2077), which is supposedly already using newer technologies (Vulkan, DX12 and etc.). That one they want to improve indeed. But the engine from TW3 - not really, since if they'll ever release their engine for other developers, it won't be TW3 engine anymore. It will be CP2077 one (REDengine 4?).

TW3 fell the victim of big generational shift. New generation of graphics APIs came out now, and the engine couldn't be improved incrementally. I.e. they are probably writing a lot of things from scratch. The editor and the rest were the casualties of that.

Last edited:
Yes, but the catch is... TW3 engine is already obsolete. I.e. they moved past that, and they don't care to improve it anymore. All their efforts are on the next iteration of the engine (that's used for CP2077), which is supposedly already using newer technologies (Vulkan, DX12 and etc.). That one they want to improve indeed. But the engine from TW3 - not really, since if they'll ever release their engine for other developers, it won't be TW3 engine anymore. It will be CP2077 one (REDengine 4?).

TW3 fell the victim of big generational shift. New generation of graphics APIs came out now, and the engine couldn't be improved incrementally. I.e. they are probably writing a lot of things from scratch. The editor and the rest were the casualties of that.

Which is why I think rereleasing TW3 with all the graphic goodies from E3 2014 would've been a great move on CDPR's part and very profitable at that. Seeing that new Nvidia graphic cards (1000 series) are able to handle it without much trouble given DX12 performance optimization and new Nvidia tech.

Just wanted to say tnx for this amazing game, I consider it one of my all-time favorites (hell as time goes on maybe it'll be my favorite) games of all time. The GOAT as they say ha. I hope your next game CyberPunk2077 will take that special place in my heart that the witcher currently holds.. I would assume after Witcher 3 downgrade/now confirmed REDkit broken promises or w/e you want to say that you will be more careful with Cyberpunk's marketing.

I would hope you guys would release full mod support with Cyber (basically make it immortal) but in the end it's your property so it's up to your discretion. However what I would ask (don't think its asking too much or i'm being entitled or w/e) is to be more clear and accurate next time about what exactly will be delivered to the players. Cause I think we all know that when you guys actually do follow through with something you do it better than most anyone else out there. And so when you don't many can't help but feel sore about the missed opportunity of what could have been. Also is there any chance that you guys will ever release any additional updates to the existing modkit or is support for that over? TNX

Last edited:
RIP witcher 3

I'm sad about the lack of REDkit as well, but this is quite an exaggeration :) I - and I'm sure many people - will continue to play the game for a loooong while. Considering I finished Witcher 1 and 2 at least 5-6 times each, I'll easily spend a thousand hours for Witcher 3 in the following years.

It's never too late to release such tools. Never.
Any game becomes less relevant with the passage of time, especially ones with very low replayability. Unfortunately, witcher 3 is one of those games, and that's a genuine shame for such a beautifully crafted world. Sure, you can play it through a few times to trigger different endings, but that's not a compelling reason for replaying the game multiple times, as one can with Skyrim. There's a reason why that game is still highly relevant 5 years later: the incredible mods, pure and simple.

hum i feel like its the 3rd time am reading the same thread since the release of the game , her's how it goes usually :

- op ask if redkit is coming

- community start to speculate and blame itself for stupid arguments ( at this point CDPR are reading the thread and laughing at us )

- mod come in and warn peoples

- Marcin come in and basically say " yeah not happening, move on "

- community start to blow up, arguing that he said " at the moment, wich does not mean no ! "

- mod come again and nearly close thread

now here are my two cent :

CDPR would be crazy to not release a packaged version of W3 with the two expansions, its basically free money, a new customer would be scared to buy the base game+ 1 expansion + 2 expansion, nothing better than one easy packaged version that has everything and for a lower price, and you centralize your product around 1 thing compared to scattered products left and right, just easier to manage

the problem is that they cant " just " pack them together and release it like that, they have to add value to it, a least to market it, by the time this happen ( 2017?) many games will be out and as awesome W3 is, will technically be behind on some points ( it already was at the release reading from its own hardcore fan base ..), so adding values to the package is pretty obligatory

now what that value could be ? enhanced edition ( graphics + gameplay ) ? redkit ? BOTH ? that would be crazy, and i doubt it will happen, what am saying is if redkit will ever come out it can only come along with an enhanced edition of the game, consoles players have the enhanced part and PC players have both, i can hardly see them release a packed version with redkit being the only added value since it will only be for PC, what would they offer for consoles players ? they cant just release redkit like that

so its either full blown enhanced edition + redkit, or nothing, or maybe we will never ever get redkit again, this is what i believe personally, they simply dont want their game to be heavily modded, they want to protect the IP and its integrity and let it go to sleep at some point ( to better revive it later because W4 will definitely happen ), and as much as i like mods, they basically are against those points

so there you go, i will be waiting for the 4th thread about redkit

Skyrim's getting volumetric god rays, screen-space reflections, new water & snow shaders, 64-bit architecture and reverse-compatibility with mods for the original 2011 retail version thus prolonging the shelf-life of their game to another 3-5 years.

Compared to Skyrim's modding community Witcher's community is getting Gwent. Hooray! God job CDPR, what could've been the best game in terms of visual fidelity and tech used for years to come is just some AAA title that no one except PC players ever heard of until you decided to go cross-platform.

Why do we still not have the full modkit?

I was hoping the reason why CDPR didn't release the full modkit was due to the fact that not all DLCs were released. Nut now that they are...still nothing
T_T

Is my desire of having a Skyrim-like modding experience, only with a much better optimized, stable, more modern and gorgeous game a dream after all?

Is my desire of having a Skyrim-like modding experience, only with a much better optimized, stable, more modern and gorgeous game a dream after all?

Pretty much yes.
Unless, completely unexpected, CDPR releases a RedKit 2 that supports modding both The Witcher 3 and Cyberpunk 2077 after the release of the latter - I seem to recall that the leaked version of the RedKit 2 allowed you to choose either, though I may be wrong. But you should probably keep your expectations low on this front.

Top Bottom