REDmod for dummies?

+
Is there somewhere a REDmod manual, dummies edition? Not to make mods, just to use them.
I did did download the REDmod DLC, used GOG Galaxy to enable it and got the initialization screen saying that REDmod was installed correctly.
But If I place any compatible mods in the new \GOG\Cyberpunk 2077\mods mod-folder, nothing happens. Not when running GOG Galaxy and also not when running CP2077 directly through the EXE file (my preferred method).
I'm used to the Nexus mods where it's just drop in the \archive\pc\mod\ folder and it works directly when running the CP 2077 EXE file. This whole new REDmod though is somewhat confusing for novice dummies like me :p On https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/modding-support they mention it can be used with the commandline or with WolvenKit. The commandline means nothing to me and that WolvenKit does nothing?
I did find some info but for me that's really too technical plus English is not my native language (I'm Dutch).

But If I place any compatible mods in the new \GOG\Cyberpunk 2077\mods mod-folder, nothing happens.
Maybe I'm wrong, I don't play on PC, so never used Redmod, but if I remember you should have two mod folders.
One named "Mods" and another one named "Mod".
"Redmod mods" and "old mods" don't go in the same folder.

Found the post ;)
You’ve put them in the wrong folder.

There are TWO mod folders, “MODS” and “MOD”.

Archive mods go in the MOD folder within the CYBERPUNK 2077\ARCHIVE\PC\MOD\ directory.
Whereas Redmod supported mods go in the CYBERPUNK 2077\MODS\ folder.

There‘s an FAQ here: https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/modding-support

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't play on PC, so never used Redmod, but if I remember you should have two mod folders.
One named "Mods" and another one named "Mod".
"Redmod mods" and "old mods" don't go in the same folder.

Found the post ;)
Yes, those 2 folders I have. The MODS folder is directly in the CP2077 directory and made by the REDmod and the other one (MOD) I made manually in \archive\pc\mod\

Yes, those 2 folders I have. The MODS folder is directly in the CP2077 directory and made by the REDmod and the other one (MOD) I made manually in \archive\pc\mod\
Ok, maybe better to wait someone who actually use mods/Redmod and there are several on the forum ;)
Just for infos :
  • To install mods, simply copy the chosen mod file into the appropriate game folder, as indicated in the mod's install instructions. New, REDmod compatible mods should be placed in the \Cyberpunk 2077\mods folder. You can recognize REDmod compatible mods by checking whether a JSON manifest (info.json) is included. Example of the full destination: D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Cyberpunk 2077\mods
  • Additionally, once you install the free REDmod DLC, you will be able to enable and disable REDmod compatible mods via REDlauncher and GOG Galaxy.
  • On REDlauncher, a new button will appear next to the "Play" button. On GOG Galaxy, you will be able to enable or disable REDmod compatible mods in the Galaxy settings.
  • Upon launching the game after selecting your mods, a progress bar will appear and the mods will be uploaded into the game. Once it's completed, the game will start automatically.

Ok, maybe better to wait someone who actually use mods/Redmod and there are several on the forum ;)
Just for infos :
Okay, thank you.
All those points I did read/follow but still don't understand. I did also now read that REDmod is a command line application?
I truly appreciate the work by CDPR, but for me this whole REDmod thing is a complicated way to change what was easy with the old way.

I did also now read that REDmod is a command line application?
I don't think so :)
(If it was, it would be not user friendly...)
You don't have the option to enable/disable mods in GOG settings ?
(Not sure, but I think it won't work if you launch the game directly from the .exe)
On GOG Galaxy, you will be able to enable or disable REDmod compatible mods in the Galaxy settings.

I did find https://wiki.redmodding.org/cyberpunk-2077-modding/modding/redmod which clarified it a little bit. Better than the info by CDPR self.
But there also they are talking about a "command line tool"?
But the Usage part there doesn't make it easier. They are talking about "deployment" and I know what the word means but I don't know what it means in this context.
But when I follow the GOG Galaxy way described there, it says that "A window will open showing progress on mod deployment."? There is no such window here. Well, there is a window but that is there only for a fraction of a second.
After that, I don't know what is talked about. Like CDPR, they mention WolvenKit. But that looks so complicated and wonder why I need that to use mods?
And they also mention a way to used REDmod on the CP2077 EXE itself by adding the -modded flag after the EXE.
But still with this all, no REDmod thing is loaded in-game-
So for now I removed it cause it started to irritate me :p and am using the normal, waaaaay easier way of using mods through ..\archive\pc\mod\

I did find https://wiki.redmodding.org/cyberpunk-2077-modding/modding/redmod which clarified it a little bit. Better than the info by CDPR self.

unfortunately for me that small gear cod button doesn't show up after installing redmod .

Ive already tried uninstalling, reinstalling, verifying game files with redmod installed, and to make sure that controller support wasn't interfering somehow I disabled it. I even tried adding -modded to the startup commands and nothing happened.

Im not using any mods yet so thats not the issue, its simply not activating.

I have the same issue here. RedMod does nothing for me.
I have already repaired and verified the game files and also reinstalled redmod.
I have activated it in Configuration through GOG. But when I start the game there is no launcher and it is not telling that any mods are installed or similar. even though I have put some RedMod Mods in the Mods folder for testing.
When I start through REDprelauncher.exe it just starts the game. There is no launcher anywhere.
So if that means I can't use any newer mods which will solely release for RedMod this will be quite bad.

Once I put a mod in the new mod folder, a screen appears very briefly between clicking play on GoG and the game loading screens taking over.
There is no other launcher apparent and the REDLauncher does not have the cog.

And here I thought I was too dumb too, but... do I understand it right that in order to use that REDmod thing you need to start the game via the GOG launcher? Because I was scratching my head too after the installation and couldn't find any sign of Redmod or a Redlauncher (never even heard of it). Uh, that sucks... I always start it through Steam (added as a 3rd party application) because that seems to be the only way to get a screenshot key... and I'm also using the Steam overlay - Should've gotten the game on Steam right at the beginning back then, I know, but the GOG version was cheaper and I didn't expect to be so reliant on Steam features...

And here I thought I was too dumb too, but... do I understand it right that in order to use that REDmod thing you need to start the game via the GOG launcher? Because I was scratching my head too after the installation and couldn't find any sign of Redmod or a Redlauncher (never even heard of it). Uh, that sucks... I always start it through Steam (added as a 3rd party application) because that seems to be the only way to get a screenshot key... and I'm also using the Steam overlay - Should've gotten the game on Steam right at the beginning back then, I know, but the GOG version was cheaper and I didn't expect to be so reliant on Steam features...
So not an expert but :
Just need to launch RedLauncher which is available on Steam and Epic too.
When you clic on "Play" on the launcher (Steam/Epic), before the game really start, a window "RedLauncher" have to appear (with contain CDPR news, your in-game rewards and an another button "Play").
If not, some fix it with that :
And maybe also clean install your drivers :
NVIDIA
I. Download the latest drivers using the following link: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
II. Download Display Driver Uninstaller and run it to remove previous versions of drivers.
III. Clean install drivers that you've downloaded in step 1.
AMD
I. Uninstall your graphics drivers using the AMD Cleanup Utility software.
II. Download and clean install the latest drivers from here: https://www.amd.com/en/support

Lol, I've never seen that thing... I started the game exactly once with GOG, the very first time I played it 2 years ago, and since then simply kept the game's exe in my taskbar. Or used Steam - that Red Launcher is totally new to me. So to try it I just started the game via GOG, very briefly a grey Launcher window appears that only says something about starting a mod, then the game starts running and looks exactly like before. Nothing like what you describe.
But honestly, if it ain't broke I'm not trying to fix it, it just sounds like extra baggage and more clicks to get into the game, and apparently my installed mods work fine too, so I'm not going out of my way to fix this. I was only wondering where I can ever catch a glimpse of that RedMod thing, which is apparently installed but I've yet to find any sign of it showing up and/or doing anything.

Edit: Oh, I found it in the game folder - REDPrelauncher. GOG Galaxy seems to ignore it and starts the game directly, same for Steam - but looking at it I guess I won't miss it. I could tell GOG Galaxy directly to enable mods and don't need to see any additional News/Ads. But apparently I must use either Launcher or Galaxy to get that RedMod prelaunch thing that activates mods - however, all mods I use were still pre-Redmod and don't seem to require this extra step.
So far I actually have no idea why I installed this. I guess I was expecting a mod organizer like Vortex or such...

Last edited:
Lol, I've never seen that thing... I started the game exactly once with GOG, the very first time I played it 2 years ago, and since then simply kept the game's exe in my taskbar. Or used Steam - that Red Launcher is totally new to me. So to try it I just started the game via GOG, very briefly a grey Launcher window appears that only says something about starting a mod, then the game starts running and looks exactly like before. Nothing like what you describe.
But honestly, if it ain't broke I'm not trying to fix it, it just sounds like extra baggage and more clicks to get into the game, and apparently my installed mods work fine too, so I'm not going out of my way to fix this. I was only wondering where I can ever catch a glimpse of that RedMod thing, which is apparently installed but I've yet to find any sign of it showing up and/or doing anything.
Here a tutorial made by CDPR and that's exactly what you should have on GOG :
(Apparently, you must have at least one mod (Redmod compatible) in the "Mods" folder for displaying the "gear" icon).
(as far as I know, Redmod is not "broken", it seem to work for the majority of players... And Redmod allow you to manage mods and even better, disable/remove mods without risking of breaking your game...)

See my Edit above. One of the mods I use is Redmod-compatible but doesn't require it, the rest is old. And yes, that gear thing is in the RedLauncher, but I also found an option in GOG Galaxy that does the same thing earlier, so mods were already enabled.
Oh, and I didn't say it's broken, just that I haven't found any sign of it at all - but everything works fine, so there's no problem, just curiosity.

See my Edit above. One of the mods I use is Redmod-compatible but doesn't require it, the rest is old.
Ah ok ;)
But I think, plenty of mods will become compatible (and will require) Redmod, to avoid modifying the game files themself (More easy to disable/remove mods without).

Ah ok ;)
But I think, plenty of mods will become compatible (and will require) Redmod, to avoid modifying the game files themself (More easy to disable/remove mods without).
Let's see first what mods come anyway, my list is surprisingly short so far - I'm not sure if modders get as creative as with Bethesda games, given there's no official toolset and everything's basically a little bit of a hack so far - I really hope I'm wrong though, I'd love to see some story mods.

My guess is that since my game was such an early version and I never reinstalled it, Galaxy was never told to switch to the RedLauncher instead of starting the game directly or such, that's why I wasn't aware of it. But once I'm done with my current playthrough and wait for the expansion I might do a fresh install that sets it as default, maybe get the Steam version if there's a good sale because I finally want to write a review there. :D

Let's see first what mods come anyway, my list is surprisingly short so far - I'm not sure if modders get as creative as with Bethesda games, given there's no official toolset and everything's basically a little bit of a hack so far - I really hope I'm wrong though, I'd love to see some story mods.
They released tools, but I'm not sure if even CDPR even know how far modders can modifiy the game :)
(to be honest, no chance that on day, it will reach the level of modding of Bethesda games, but still^^)

In the mean time over here, I did experiment some more with it all and got even more confused.
I did found that REDlancher app, it's hidden in the game directory. And indeed it's not REDlauncher but REDprelauncher. Never heard of it. Also don't understand the use of it? I mean, both GOG Galaxy and REDprelauncher can start the game, so why 2 kind of launchers?
And it made it only more complicated.
To get REDmod in REDprelauncher, you first have to add and enable it in GOG Galaxy, start the game, stop the game and only then it's also in REDprelauncher. Granted, that a 1 time procedure, but still ...
And then the little gear is there next to Play in the REDlauncher, but it only gives a On/Off slider for mods? There is nothing there to manage mods? Or add or remove them?
Also, some REDmod mods start only through REDlauncher but they don't work when GOG Galaxy is used? But other mods do start both with REDlauncher and GOG Galaxy?

Again, I know it's early days for REDmod and CDPR will improve it. But for now it's an overcomplicated and confusing way to use mods in comparison to the "old" way which is easy and straightforward.

Here a tutorial made by CDPR and that's exactly what you should have on GOG :
(Apparently, you must have at least one mod (Redmod compatible) in the "Mods" folder for displaying the "gear" icon).
(as far as I know, Redmod is not "broken", it seem to work for the majority of players... And Redmod allow you to manage mods and even better, disable/remove mods without risking of breaking your game...)
It's odd that this tutorial is hidden. Let's make a tutorial, but not share it with people...

Top Bottom