REDmod for dummies?

+
It's odd that this tutorial is hidden. Let's make a tutorial, but not share it with people...
It's not :)

Yeah it is confusing the heck out of me too. I thought it was to make modding more convinient, but if this continues nobody will use it - not on the mod user side anyways.

I'm having the same issue that others are experiencing when it comes to just using a mod. I can't even find a reference to redmod anywhere in GoG Galaxy or in the game itself let alone seeing anything different when launching the game as usual. I've been playing CP 2077 since it launched and using mods for it almost as long so it's not like I'm new to this. Fuck it, this is taking more time and effort than it's worth just to change a hairstyle.

I'm having the same issue that others are experiencing when it comes to just using a mod. I can't even find a reference to redmod anywhere in GoG Galaxy or in the game itself let alone seeing anything different when launching the game as usual. I've been playing CP 2077 since it launched and using mods for it almost as long so it's not like I'm new to this. Fuck it, this is taking more time and effort than it's worth just to change a hairstyle.
If I remember, you must have at least one mod (Redmod compatible) in the "mods" folder to make the "gear" appear next to "Play" on the RedLauncher.
Some details which could help (maybe) :

There is no RedLauncher that I can find. I'm using GoG which, if I've understood correctly, negates having RedLauncher directly available.
So when you clic on "Play" on GOG, you don't have this windows which popup before accessing to the game (with Cyberpunk news, links,...) ?
RedLauncher.jpg

If not, yep, you can't see/use Redmod :(
Not sure if it could help on GOG, but someone who had the same issue solved it by doing that :
(no Redlauncher when clicking on "Play". No error... GOG launcher just launched the game instead of RedLauncher)

So when you clic on "Play" on GOG, you don't have this windows which popup before accessing to the game (with Cyberpunk news, links,...) ?
View attachment 11323100
If not, yep, you can't see/use Redmod :(
Not sure if it could help on GOG, but someone who had the same issue solved it by doing that :
(no Redlauncher when clicking on "Play". No error... GOG launcher just launched the game instead of RedLauncher)
Thanks for the help. I got that window to open but had to go into the game directory and use REDprelauncher.exe. The first time I tried, nothing happened; the second time I got that window, enabled mods, went into the game and one of the mods worked. Exited the game, launched directly from GoG and the mods no longer worked. I don't know whether the problem is with redmod or GoG but I'm going to put this while thing aside until it gets properly sorted out.

Thanks for the help. I got that window to open but had to go into the game directory and use REDprelauncher.exe. The first time I tried, nothing happened; the second time I got that window, enabled mods, went into the game and one of the mods worked. Exited the game, launched directly from GoG and the mods no longer worked. I don't know whether the problem is with redmod or GoG but I'm going to put this while thing aside until it gets properly sorted out.
Not sure, but I think that in order to "load" mods compatible with RedMod (which are in the "mods" folder) you have to launch a "modded game" in the RedLauncher (click on "Play" with the mod option activated). Because the files/datas (created when RedLauncher "deploying mods") are not loaded if you don't use it.
It's a bit like Minecraft but it's named "constructing mods"^^.
Unlike "old" mods (in the "mod" folder) which are loaded anyway.

Ideally, it's a "good" way to disable/enable mods easily by limiting the risks :)

Not sure, but I think that in order to "load" mods compatible with RedMod (which are in the "mods" folder) you have to launch a "modded game" in the RedLauncher (click on "Play" with the mod option activated). Because the files/datas (created when RedLauncher "deploying mods") are not loaded if you don't use it.
It's a bit like Minecraft but it's named "constructing mods"^^.
Unlike "old" mods (in the "mod" folder) which are loaded anyway.

Ideally, it's a "good" way to disable/enable mods easily by limiting the risks :)
I was able to load mods and get them to work, redmod doesn't load when launching GoG so I need to go into the game installation folder and launch redmod directly from its executable. It's no big deal, I'm just going to not use redmod until either CDPR or GoG fixes whatever is wrong; it's not like there are lots of mods for it yet anyway.

I was able to load mods and get them to work, redmod doesn't load when launching GoG so I need to go into the game installation folder and launch redmod directly from its executable. It's no big deal, I'm just going to not use redmod until either CDPR or GoG fixes whatever is wrong; it's not like there are lots of mods for it yet anyway.
ok ;)
But it's annoying that you don't have RedLauncher (on GOG above all^^)
Maybe report (even if on GOG it's seem annoying to do it... CDPR may have to do a dedicated section now there is Redmod)

I don't have that either. I know that with the download and install of REDmod, REDlauncher is also installed (found that by accident in the Windows Add/Remove list). But when clicking Play in GOG Galaxy, the game just runs. No REDlaucher or whatever in sight.
But what is the use of it?? In GOG there is news, links and so on, just like in REDlauncher. With both you can enable REDmod, with both you can Start the game.

Over at Nexus the same frustration is going on but than with the modders. People can use a REDmod but also a lot can't. This also because of the different GOG, Steam, Epic launchers. So modders are ending up by making 2 version (Redmod and normal) or ditching the REDmod to replace it with a normal mod.
I think it's true what I said in my initial posing: REDmod seems to be a great tool for modders but as a mod enable tool for users, it really kinda sucks. Especially those (like me) who have it on GOG for the soul purpose of running the game without any launcher. There is an option to add -modded behind the exe but that also doesn't work.

As I said earlier, I never saw the RedLauncher either until searching the game folder for it, seems to be the norm for older GOG installations maybe? When I hit "play" on the GOG launcher the game's exe simply launched, and the rest of the time I had the Game.exe directly in my task bar. First time I ever saw the RedLauncher was a few days ago, actively looking for it, it still doesn't open by default.

Redmod WAS working for around a week, and then it wasn't.

Today I launched the game from GoG but didn't see the redmod dialogue box this time and, when I got into the game, the one mod I was using that utilizes redmod no longer worked. Tried again by relaunching the game two more times and then, after that didn't help, I rebooted (when in doubt). Still no luck. So I figured I'd reinstall redmod and uninstalled it first to do it clean. Went to GoG to reinstall it, within Galaxy first and, when it wasn't there, at the GoG web site. At the GoG site on the redmod page, there is no longer an option io reinstall or install.

Any ideas for a solution? GoG's support is useless and I checked around elsewhere.

Interesting reading. I enjoy creating mods (for my other games) but I just can't seem to get my head wrapped around Redmod. I have never been able to get it to work. I spent hours trying to make some mods for TW3, and never had any luck. Same for 2077.

So I appreciate those who can get results. I may try again later on. So I wish you the OP the best of luck, just keep at it.

Thanks for posting this.

Top Bottom