Regarding crashes after patch 1.21 and 1.22 for both AMD and NVIDIA GPU

+
So, after patch 1.21 and 1.22, which CDPR claimed to increase performance and stability. Unfortunately, after patch 1.21 and 1.22, my game crashed like crazy. I've contacted CDPR support and they gave me quite a lot of solutions, but none of them work.

So I look it up on the internet and found a thread on GOG forum (https://www.gog.com/forum/cyberpunk_2077/random_crash_to_desktop_due_to_nvidia_driver_crash)

A user said that he has a 5700XT and he undervolted it. The result is no crash.

So, my GPU is an MSI 1070 Duke OC, and while I was playing cyberpunk, the frequency could boost up to 1907 MHz. I triede using MSI Afterburn with the Voltage/Frequency Curve Editor (F5) (the guide is here: https://techie-show.com/how-to-undervolt-gpu/)

I would limit my GPU at 950 mV / 1797 MHz.

And the game has stopped crashing for me. But the trade off is of course the performance. My fps would drop to the point of before patch 1.21, which is around 50-55 fps at Medium-Low.
Attached is the curve that works for my 1070/

Attachments

• z2531393363623_218a90fb4d9bde242bc7bcb5cd7947b5.jpg
    z2531393363623_218a90fb4d9bde242bc7bcb5cd7947b5.jpg
    209.5 KB · Views: 54
And the game has stopped crashing for me. But the trade off is of course the performance. My fps would drop to the point of before patch 1.21, which is around 50-55 fps at Medium-Low.

Thanks for sharing that info! This may also support my theory that lowering the Frame Rate helps the game. Did you try capping your frame rate to 50 BEFORE your tried the undervolting ?

Capping frame rate has proven to fix many games I have had issues with. In Cyberpunk 2077 I did 150 hours on win 7 using GTX 970 with only the first patch: No game breaking bugs and only the famous mirror crashes by capping the FR to 60 in my game.

Capping at 30 got me past the 3 obligatory :LOL: mirror crash points and then I would set back to 60 again.

Thanks for sharing that info! This may also support my theory that lowering the Frame Rate helps the game. Did you try capping your frame rate to 50 BEFORE your tried the undervolting ?

Capping frame rate has proven to fix many games I have had issues with. In Cyberpunk 2077 I did 150 hours on win 7 using GTX 970 with only the first patch: No game breaking bugs and only the famous mirror crashes by capping the FR to 60 in my game.

Capping at 30 got me past the 3 obligatory :LOL: mirror crash points and then I would set back to 60 again.
Yeah, I tried cap the frame rate at 60 in patch 1.21 and 1.22, that didn't help either. But capping the frame rate might help reducing the GPU clock in your case. For my case, the undervolt method works for me.
I suspect 1.21 and 1.22 might have boosted my GPU clock up a bit.
Post automatically merged:

But it's still bothering me that I have to undervolt my GPU, I wonder if mu GPU's lifespan is coming to an end.

Last edited:
I suspect 1.21 and 1.22 might have boosted my GPU clock up a bit.

Interesting, how does that happen? I did not know that game programs can throttle the clock. I guess it makes sense that a game is telling the GC what to do but I just would have thought that something like the hardware clock would be like a driver trying to control the blinking frequency of a car's turn signal? :shrug:

Interesting, how does that happen? I did not know that game programs can throttle the clock. I guess it makes sense that a game is telling the GC what to do but I just would have thought that something like the hardware clock would be like a driver trying to control the blinking frequency of a car's turn signal? :shrug:
Well, it's just my wild guess. Because the same thing happened to me in AC Valhalla, but not in Nioh 2 or Biomutant.
Post automatically merged:

Usually when a game graphic is too heavy, it would make the frame rate drop.
But in this case, my GPU crashed, so I suspect something was over tuned.

Top Bottom