Regarding the lore

+

Guest 4021160

nunqmuo;n9274261 said:
Im not biased. Yes im a huge fan of the Withcer universe. Books in particular but i dont think that it's the best fantasy. It have a lot of cliches and a lot of plot lines are based on folk tales. Especially the first two books. But i love it for different reasons. It kinda clicked with me on the personal level and it's part of me kinda. I know that sounds weird. So im not even trying to compare it to other books. There is the Witcher and there is everything else.

In terms of actual quality of content in my opinion the best dark fantasy is the Malazan Saga. ASOIAF is a joke compare to it.

I will guess your favourite book of the saga. It's book number 3. The blood of elves. Correct?

Karolis.petrikas;n9281581 said:
I will guess your favourite book of the saga. It's book number 3. The blood of elves. Correct?

And what makes you think that?:hmm:

SHALLAHJUSTICE;n9281761 said:
But are the books actually well written genuinely good novels?

Yes they are. It's a very good dark-ish fantasy saga.

Guest 4021160

If it has touched you on a personal level you're likely to feel most nostalgia to the "beginning" of the tale. If put simply.
Beginning is powerful in all tales. Plus you read it way younger, things seemed less complex back then. And you're more likely to choose things you get imprinted to while young.

Last edited by a moderator:

Guest 4021160

Really well written. With exception to some monologues, which were written really badly. More specifically when a protagonist is in doubt about something. Sapkowski probably was unable to relate to feelings person in doubt experiences.

if u liked the games' scripts, you gonna love the books. its very well written and the work with characters is phenomenal.

Karolis.petrikas;n9282511 said:
If it has touched you on a personal level you're likely to feel most nostalgia to the "beginning" of the tale. If put simply.
Beginning is powerful in all tales. Plus you read it way younger, things seemed less complex back then. And you're more likely to choose things you get imprinted to while young.

Well, im not going to pick my favorite book...dont like this practice...Im just gonna say that for me the best parts ( but not the only ones ) are the parts picturing relations between Yen > Geralt, Ciri > Yen, and especially Geralt > Ciri.

Last edited:

Add. to my previous post addressed to you.

Just be prepared that Geralt and Ciri are quite different from the game.

Geralt
can be very insecure, whiny, self-pitying, over-dramatic, resentful

Ciri
well... let's say shes done a very questionable things...

Both of them are not as one-dimensional as in the games.

P.S.

Yen
One of the books shows ( in fullest ) her real character and her affection for Ciri ( game is a bit lackluster in this department )... to be a guest in Stygga Castle ( Triss might learn something ) and for Geralt... To willingly take a bath with him...ok...im not going into further details... And it's also explains why she can be a bit bitchy, which is totally fine, btw. She has her reasons...
Attempting suicide in young age...tells you something

Last edited:
I've only read a few of the novels (the first two, in order of release, not chronology, and Sword of Destiny...which came out waaay late in English). I agree that the characters are significantly different in the novels. Overall, more gritty and vulnerable. I also agree that the English translations are definitely missing the verbal impact that I know has to be there in the original Polish.

For example, I've actually read 2 different English versions of The Blood of Elves. In the first, Ciri is referred to as Geralt's "Surprise Child"...which is a terribly awkward phrase in English and a clunky, linear way of referring to the recruits that witchers receive when they claim the "Law of Surprise". In the second translation, she is called his "Unexpected Child" (like the games), which is a far more elegant and (I think) correctly layered double-entendre. It's a cold confirmation that the Law of Surprise resulted in a human child (e.g. instead of a horse or some supplies), and it also draws an ironic parallel to witchers being sterile (read: "unexpected child" = "got pregnant by accident". Very dark humor, especially considering what awaits the children at Kaer Morhen. I imagine this is what Sapkowski was actually going for.)

There are other parts of the books that I sense are still missing the verbal mark. Unfortunately, there's not too much more that can be done; sometimes, idiomatic speech just doesn't translate perfectly between languages. But the stories are well worth reading! It is a brilliant fantasy world with amazing characters and moments.

Dudes and dudettes, if you like playing Gwent, you have come to realize you actually enjoy the Witcher universe... you ow it to yourselves - just read the books. You'll get to know what it all means, what the characters actually represent and much, much more.

Guest 4021160

gangrel6;n9283851 said:
Dudes and dudettes, if you like playing Gwent, you have come to realize you actually enjoy the Witcher universe... you ow it to yourselves - just read the books. You'll get to know what it all means, what the characters actually represent and much, much more.

Oh I wish sometimes i haven't read the books. Reading them now after games has been released would bring so many "so thats what it's all about" moments.

Guest 4021160

nunqmuo;n9282611 said:
Well, im not going to pick my favorite book...dont like this practice...Im just gonna say that for me the best parts ( but not the only ones ) are the parts picturing relations between Yen > Geralt, Ciri > Yen, and especially Geralt > Ciri.

I am particularly fond of Ciri's relationship with a certain dwarf in book 3. In a particular journey on a particular caravan.

Yeah, i'm going to have to read them eventually, gaunter o dimm really captured my imagination in the whole hearts of stone dlc, the universe gained complete creative legitimacy from that point.

I prefer the characters / story / gwent to the actual witcher games actually.The combat was a bit unrefined for me.

A feature film / animated series would be great for sure.

Top Bottom