Regis Issue (Looking in opponents deck)

+
p3rkele;n9052730 said:
There should't be any safe place in a card game, not your hand, deck or graveyard. This guarantees that there is always counter to your deck as there should be. There's also no such thing as too much complexity, as longas complexity brings variety.

Yes, agreed. It drives me crazy to get my spotter eaten by a high vamp, but i do the same thing to people with Sweers. I have had Spell-A-Tell quit when i get a 2 card kill from the deck with him. So to really bitch about it would be hypocritical as hell. It adds depth to the game. I like the cards.

Be able to steal or discard cards from your opponents deck is a wrong moove.
We tried it out, we see that its too powerful, we see that its a stupid mechanic which dont belong to gwent.
The NGs golem which spawns 2 lesser golems to the top of the deck is ok.
But a direct interaction with enemies decks feels like something else but not gwent. It is also too strong and i hope the devs moove away from this mechanic.
I hope the devs just remove and forget about this ^^

p3rkele;n9052730 said:
There should't be any safe place in a card game, not your hand, deck or graveyard. This guarantees that there is always counter to your deck as there should be. There's also no such thing as too much complexity, as longas complexity brings variety.

And how does Regis bring variety ? It does exact opposite, or in your mind donar is also perfectly fine and brings variety as well?

Vladi999;n9054600 said:
The NGs golem which spawns 2 lesser golems to the top of the deck is ok.

I can't agree with this because it messes up with flow of cards and that is something that is very important in gwent. I just can't approve.
It is 10 STR silver that gives opponent 12 on next 2 draws. So you are losseing 2 str next round to mess up your opponents draw for good.
It easy to see how powerful this is.

I play Spellatell right now and the card is a great counter to my Protectors. so, yes, it is indeed needed and actually useful mechanic. Yes, it does disrupts the other player' gameplan/combo/whatever, but this is exactly the purpose of he card. Is it annoying sometimes? Yes, but compared to some other (bronze!) cards in other factions... PLEASE.

The card is fine and one of the better thought of in the game. Way more other cards that need to be balanced HARD out there.

lomvicmarko;n9054660 said:
And how does Regis bring variety ? It does exact opposite, or in your mind donar is also perfectly fine and brings variety as well?

I can't agree with this because it messes up with flow of cards and that is something that is very important in gwent. I just can't approve.
It is 10 STR silver that gives opponent 12 on next 2 draws. So you are losseing 2 str next round to mess up your opponents draw for good.
It easy to see how powerful this is.

Oh, this now... pardon all the cards that give your opponent a winning condition and disrupt your perfect Axemen/Kambi/Reaver/whatever combo.

Last edited:
p3rkele;n9053090 said:
Indeed. Removing such cards as Regis would just take us closer to Hearthstone and it's RNG.

Yeah. This game has enough RNG already in it. The last thing it needs is to be even more luck dependent than it already is.

...especially as my luck is uniformly bad in general...
:geraltthatsgood:

partci;n9054990 said:
Yes, it does disrupts the other player' gameplan/combo/whatever, but this is exactly the purpose of he card. Is it annoying sometimes? Yes, but compared to some other (bronze!) cards in other factions... PLEASE.
QFT.

I am running a deck that may provide juicy targets for Regis, while I myself don't have him in my deck... and Regis is completely fine. Also, he's waaay out of range of some other Gold cards, and sometimes he even ends up being a lousy 6 STR gold...

On one hand I don't mind, trying to be without bias as I run decks he can mess up easily, but I don't see him much around my range 1500-1800(ps4) too terribly often. The banish might be a bit much but then there's Skellige so..

On the other I wonder if his ability would do better in monsters or the core of the ability to pick and possibly see a possible play in another faction. Then of course what would that do to scales balance. Who knows.

​​​​

He should have a doomed tag or boost himself by the str of the unit but dont eat it.

A few minutes ago i was experimenting with Reveal Deck and played against the fooking fook running xmen cancer and on top of everything else he Regis'ed me in round 1 - 14 str spotter and in round two he renew and regis'ed me again, another 14 str spotter. So it's effectively 34 str gold 'cause not only he boosted himself by 14 str he also denied me that 14 str, similar to succubus. And given the fact that the spotters are the win condition of Reveal Decks...

FeelsGoodMan:smile:

FML.

Laveley;n9046750 said:
Against QG, gy manipulation is better than HV.

He is a card that is oppressive to any bronze centered archetype. For example, an archetype around discard using boats and pirate captains would be somewhat viable, if HV didnt exist. Same with mulligan and the card that gets buff with mulligan (most ST hibrid builds you see now use just one or 2 copies of those if any). Spell tael dbp's is a no-brainer. Even consume suffers against it on a round 3 consumed nekkers. Luckily consume has other tools besides nekkers, but would be a hell lot stronger if HV wasnt around. Same with NG reveal.

Sorry, I took the weekend off of forums in general. The more I read the more it seems that you are opposed to control/counter-play archetypes in general. In order for those to work, they need powerful versatile counters to disrupt commonplace strategies. I know it sucks to be on the receiving end of those powerful counter-plays, but without them the game becomes too one-dimensional to generate much hype. A "strategic" card game that consists of each player playing their cards without a chance of their opponent interfering with their strategy is boring. It becomes the same game every time you play. It's the existence of cards like Regis that make deck building challenging and fun. I disagree that somehow the existence of a single card that occupies one of the four "power" slots in a deck (for which there is often quite a bit of competition) is so oppressive it prevents the existence of entire archetypes. It may drop them a tier or two, but that doesn't make them unplayable. The silver cards that disrupt decks I might see the argument for, but not the golds.

A gold card that is a counter to decks built around a single bronze is not bad at all. I find it rather healthy. If you're playing a lot of creatures, it doesn't hurt very much. It's really a problem only against spell'tael and the like which rely on very few units, and such decks are boring to play against.

Bladesmith88;n9058790 said:
Sorry, I took the weekend off of forums in general. The more I read the more it seems that you are opposed to control/counter-play archetypes in general. In order for those to work, they need powerful versatile counters to disrupt commonplace strategies. I know it sucks to be on the receiving end of those powerful counter-plays, but without them the game becomes too one-dimensional to generate much hype. A "strategic" card game that consists of each player playing their cards without a chance of their opponent interfering with their strategy is boring. It becomes the same game every time you play. It's the existence of cards like Regis that make deck building challenging and fun. I disagree that somehow the existence of a single card that occupies one of the four "power" slots in a deck (for which there is often quite a bit of competition) is so oppressive it prevents the existence of entire archetypes. It may drop them a tier or two, but that doesn't make them unplayable. The silver cards that disrupt decks I might see the argument for, but not the golds.

No i'm not opposed to control. In fact, control types are my favorites and i play mainly spell tael right now. Please dont put words on my mouth. We are discussing Regis here. Period.

I will try to simplify it for you to understand what i'm talking here.

Imagine a card game where you can play 6 types of decks, those types of decks are called: Deck A, B, C, D, E and F.

Imagine now that on this games exists a card called "Bladesmith88"

The effect of such card is "whenever you play Bladesmith88 you automatically win against decks A, B and C".

Now you must agree that such a card is imba, aint healthy for this game and dont generate variability within this game at all right?

Now, enlighten me, how is regis not a tuned down version of bladesmith88 for gwent? Granted, is not auto-win versus those archetypes, but its almost it and thus oppress variability since you will think twice before building and playing some archetypes because, well, what if the opponent is using regis and totally screws me (and, atm, the mahority of people will be using regis). Its also a very strong card on a plenthora of situations, which doesnt make it a "counter-card" per se, i mean, you can use it as a counter card because, yes, it is a very strong counter card against such decks, but it is a very good card on other situations as well so theres no really downside in using it; or you have a solid gold or you have a game-winning gold.

Now, i'm not asking for a complete rework for the card, ihmo it is a valid card simply for the fact that is a gold and you "shouldnt" be able to use it more than once. I just thinks it should get a little nerf because, right now, its a little above the curve. Regis should be the card that you use to counter "A, B and C" but its pretty much garbage against anything else. Instead now he is a card that counters "A, B and C" and its very good against anything else also.

Donar has to be reworked because it is total rng and have the potential to screw decks as much as regis sometimes.

Laveley;n9059290 said:
No i'm not opposed to control. In fact, control types are my favorites and i play mainly spell tael right now. Please dont put words on my mouth. We are discussing Regis here. Period.

I will try to simplify it for you to understand what i'm talking here.

Imagine a card game where you can play 6 types of decks, those types of decks are called: Deck A, B, C, D, E and F.

Imagine now that on this games exists a card called "Bladesmith88"

The effect of such card is "whenever you play Bladesmith88 you automatically win against decks A, B and C".

Now you must agree that such a card is imba, aint healthy for this game and dont generate variability within this game at all right?

Now, enlighten me, how is regis not a tuned down version of bladesmith88 for gwent? Granted, is not auto-win versus those archetypes, but its almost it and thus oppress variability since you will think twice before building and playing some archetypes because, well, what if the opponent is using regis and totally screws me (and, atm, the mahority of people will be using regis). Its also a very strong card on a plenthora of situations, which doesnt make it a "counter-card" per se, i mean, you can use it as a counter card because, yes, it is a very strong counter card against such decks, but it is a very good card on other situations as well so theres no really downside in using it; or you have a solid gold or you have a game-winning gold.

Now, i'm not asking for a complete rework for the card, ihmo it is a valid card simply for the fact that is a gold and you "shouldnt" be able to use it more than once. I just thinks it should get a little nerf because, right now, its a little above the curve. Regis should be the card that you use to counter "A, B and C" but its pretty much garbage against anything else. Instead now he is a card that counters "A, B and C" and its very good against anything else also.

Donar has to be reworked because it is total rng and have the potential to screw decks as much as regis sometimes.

Thanks for the clarification. You are right, I shouldn't put words in your mouth. I was trying to comment on what felt like the underlying theme of the complaints in this thread. I was wrongly attributing some others posts to you. My apologies. I do, however, still take issue with some of your arguments.

1. You make the argument that theoretical card Bladesmith88 is auto-win vs 50% of the decks in your hypothetical. I would absolutely have a problem with that. But then you go on to say that Regis is a "tuned-down" variant of said card and that he isn't auto-win. So what's the point in building the hypothetical when it's basically a straw-man? The decks The Higher Vampire counters are not 50% of the available archetypes for one, and you can still play around him even using most of those decks. I guess I don't consider a card like that a problem.

2. Regis NEEDS to be a strong card even if he isn't particularly countering the enemy deck because he's a gold. If he was silver I would agree he should be less useful outside of his given role, but a gold should be impactful regardless of match-up IMO.

3. if you are correct that most players use Regis, then I feel I would have encountered him more. Last I remember looking, his usage rate was around 12% which, for me, seems about right.

I think I agree that Donar may be a bit too much because of how many options you have to play and replay him. Especially in Skellige.

In the live stream, the devs mentioned Regis will now only be buffed by the base power of the consumed card.

Top Bottom