Reinforced Trebuchetes. I don't like them

+
That would be a weird obtuse special case rule. Generally those aren't easy to understand, which is why we mostly don't have things like that.

Generally you shouldn't allow your opponent to get that kind of presence on the board. But promote counters are coming soon :)

My issue (heck, the issue about it in general, I think) is that foiling this is completely different from foiling just about anything else.

Most cards (Hawker Support being a noticeable example) can be foiled both before and after they're powered up. Even if your first hand was unlucky, future rounds may give you one of the cards that can put a stop to them (Scorch, Geralt: Igni, Borkh Three Jackdaws, etc.). Gold cards with 20+, 50+, or even 100+ strength, though? Literally your only option is to destroy them before they're powered up. If you draw an unlucky hand in the same round that your opponent decides to power them up, Adrenaline Rush them, and promote them, the entire match is pretty much lost from the get-go.

I'm glad to hear that promote counters are coming, but maybe you should consider adding a few other options? Take neutral gold cards like Borkh Three Jackdaws and Geralt: Igni as an example. Maybe consider allowing the effects of those to work on all cards instead of just non-gold ones? That may go a long way toward balancing things out in general, especially when it comes to cases of countering promotion-focused decks.

Last edited:
perhapse not being able to promote them at all considering they're not a person, but a weapon.

Hah, that's a good point!

General Natalis: "Sergeant Burkstrom!"

Sergeant: "Yes, sir!"

General: "Captain Trebuchet will be leading the next assault. Follow his orders and victory is assured."

Sergeant: "I...what, sir?"

General: "You heard me, Sergeant! So, Captain, how will you defeat the cowardly Nilfgardians?"

Trebuchet: "..."

General: "Capital idea, Trebuchet! You heard the siege engine, Sergeant! Get to it!"

Sergeant: "..."

I like the idea of having a counter to gold cards. As of right now, there's nothing you can do against them, aside from Phillipa.
I play a Gold-Centred Northern Realms deck, and i am constantly getting 5 or 6 Gold cards all on the battlefield, and there's nothing my opponent can do to slow me down.

I would like a card that perhaps does immense damage, removal or maybe even steal but half strength, of only Gold cards.
Or anything along the lines of 'Only targets enemy Gold cards'

Because they are kind of untouchable right now. Only counters are Phillipa, or 'I have a bigger board'

The Reinforced Trebuchet does seem to be a strong card, but I'd definitely wait and see how the strategy evolves before unwrapping the nerf hammer. Monster weather was considered OP for the first three or four days of the beta, but people have already found ways to counter that type of deck. If it turns out there's no consistent way of dealing with them, I would agree with what memebyerin said earlier about removing their +1 buff on copies. That way they would be a viable Manticore Venom target for example.

The Reinforced Trebuchet does seem to be a strong card, but I'd definitely wait and see how the strategy evolves before unwrapping the nerf hammer. Monster weather was considered OP for the first three or four days of the beta, but people have already found ways to counter that type of deck. If it turns out there's no consistent way of dealing with them, I would agree with what memebyerin said earlier about removing their +1 buff on copies. That way they would be a viable Manticore Venom target for example.

I'm still bitter about monster deck + gold card carrying over into the next round. But Trebuchets are making that easier to manage this meta, however you have to work to get them by opening up kegs or milling them. Meanwhile the monsters just can use their stock cards to get an advantage. But more time will really show what is OP or not.

I'm still bitter about monster deck + gold card carrying over into the next round. But Trebuchets are making that easier to manage this meta, however you have to work to get them by opening up kegs or milling them. Meanwhile the monsters just can use their stock cards to get an advantage.

I like to use Reinforced Siege Towers instead, 3-strength, +2 for every friendly Gold played.
They work very similarly to the Trebs, but the reason why love the Towers but hate the Trebs, is because once i get 3 Seige towers out... i've still got to work. I need to try and get the gold cards in my hand, then continue to think, which do i play now, should i play a bronze card first, which should i leave for next round, what order should i play them in to get the best bonuses.

With the Trebs, once you get 3 out... that's the extent of the strategy done. They do the rest of the work for you.
Now you just need to Gold them or Adrenaline them, and then you can ignore them, whilst the other person desperately tries to counter them, whilst you're playing all your gold cards and buffing your Redanian Knights, making a cup of Tea or whatever.

With the Trebs, it's 'I got my cards out, now i can sit back and win'
With the Towers, it's 'I got my cards out, now i need to keep working to win, because they're all still 3-strength.'

Like what you said with the 'Put in a little effort, then your victory can be appreciated', i think that same logic, except i'm using the Trebs as an example of a 'Low-effort strategy'

We are looking into them.

What do you feel makes them so frustrating?

Would you rather them be a 1 time countdown with more damage? Or just a lower value to start with?

against northern realms in order to win either you have to have mass aoe damage to kill their cards before they promote or they draw bad. thats the only options.

the big things its more a problem of not being able to deal with gold cards except if you are playing nothern realms.

Given how quick you are to say "don't hurt my strategy - it has at least one card that counters it" I would think that:

"Anyway, I hope some weather counters or immune-to-weather cards are coming to decks like NR and Sco, coz currently, there isn’t much one can do against Weather, esp with those decks. "

is easily answered by saying "play Clear Skies."

memebyerin;n3449222 said:
There is no God. Only Reinforced Trebuchets.:what2:

Amen to this. I am starting to get sick of losing over and over again to the exactly same strategy where the opponent folds the first round and creates in the second round no matter what I do an unbeatable, golden and adrenaline rushed row of those damn machines.

hahaha yehh I am too pissed of with NR decks with Reinforced Trebuchets & Phillipa as even after you beat those Reinforced Trebuchets & gain a lead this Phillipa card makes you look fool. I have stopped giving gg to NR decks specially with players using Phillipa

I don't think reinforced trebuchet itself should be changed at all. actually in my experience its been underwhelming so far.. but aside from that I would be in favor of the suggestion to make promote remove adrenaline rush from a card. If you are going to dump a bunch of strength into a card and carry it to the next round you should have to risk losing it to attack.

I'm also in favor of adding more weather focused to decks other than monster as well as adding gold focused or gold breaking cards to decks other than NR. both mechanics seem way too strong and hard to counter to limit to one deck.

There are so many strategies to defeat "some buffed card"+"adrenalin"+"promotion". I lost to these just in a first day, when didn't expect this comming.
You can use weather, dijkstra, phillippa, bomb, thunders, different dmg units, scorge, bork, geralt, lancerate, stammelford, manticore, sergeant. Just play more wise.

Top Bottom