Relationships/Continuity in Witcher 1 and Cyberpunk 2077

+

Guest 4375874

This is a question for those who have played the first witcher game because I've seen many ppl raise questions about how "non-committal" some of the relationships in Cyberpunk 2077 are. I didn't play the 1st witcher game, I played Witcher 3 then went back and played W2 so I'm not sure how relationships were handled in the first game.

So my question is was Geralt committed to Triss or Yen at the end of the first Witcher game? I ask this because I feel players expect Cyberpunk 2077 to treat relationships the way they do in Witcher 3 where you already know these characters and their history and so you commit by the end instead of doing it the way you would the first game in a franchise (i.e. witcher 1). In that we are first introduced to these characters, some of whom we will meet again in 2nd or 3rd game allowing us to have more time and grow with them.

For me this is the 1st game so while I'm disappointed with some lost love prospects, I also don't care to hitch myself to anyone now when I can cross paths with them later...looking at you Meredith/Elizabeth :beer: or meet someone new.

So Yen wasn't in the first Witcher game.

Ultimately it boiled down to Shani and Triss, and what you believed best for a kid called Alvin (incidentally the whole Witcher 1 story is a fantastic way to wrap up a game, but leave a lot for the player to understand and interpret).

The Witcher 1 did put a lot of assumed knowledge on there, but Geralt having amnesia allowed a fair bit of exposition and general trust in the other characters.

In Witcher 1 Geralt lost his memory so he didn't remember Yenefer.
We could romance Triss or Shani, but in W2 you are in relationship with Triss so you could say that is the canon one.
Other than that you could have sex with almost every woman but there was no "sex scenes" only there was a card given to you with a naked or almost naked woman.

Guest 4375874

So Yen wasn't in the first Witcher game.

Ultimately it boiled down to Shani and Triss, and what you believed best for a kid called Alvin (incidentally the whole Witcher 1 story is a fantastic way to wrap up a game, but leave a lot for the player to understand and interpret).

The Witcher 1 did put a lot of assumed knowledge on there, but Geralt having amnesia allowed a fair bit of exposition and general trust in the other characters.
ok cool. V's love interests in CP2077 aren't from the table top game so there's no assumed knowledge to draw from but it's a good starting point for Judy and Panam. Of course it's a bit tricky because of the endings but it's doable as far as establishing continuity.
Post automatically merged:

In Witcher 1 Geralt lost his memory so he didn't remember Yenefer.
We could romance Triss or Shani, but in W2 you are in relationship with Triss so you could say that is the canon one.
Other than that you could have sex with almost every woman but there was no "sex scenes" only there was a card given to you with a naked or almost naked woman.
Don't care too much about the sex just the relationship bit and whether the 1st cyberpunk game has a good setup for continuing those relationships in a similar way for future titles.

Don't care too much about the sex just the relationship bit and whether the 1st cyberpunk game has a good setup for continuing those relationships in a similar way for future titles.

They completly drop Shani in Witcher 2. Hope they don't make this mistake again in Cyberpunk sequel/expansion.(n)

ok cool. V's love interests in CP2077 aren't from the table top game so there's no assumed knowledge to draw from but it's a good starting point for Judy and Panam. Of course it's a bit tricky because of the endings but it's doable as far as establishing continuity.

Doable, but I'd be surprised if we ever see them again in future games beyond a cameo at best.

I'm hopeful they expand on the characters and relationships, but it feels like the game was built as a one off in the story stakes. There are obvioulsy a lot of spoiler elements so I won't bring them up here, but I think future games will be a whole new character with whole new love interests.

Guest 4375874

Doable, but I'd be surprised if we ever see them again in future games beyond a cameo at best.

I'm hopeful they expand on the characters and relationships, but it feels like the game was built as a one off in the story stakes. There are obvioulsy a lot of spoiler elements so I won't bring them up here, but I think future games will be a whole new character with whole new love interests.
Yea I'm expecting a whole new character but that's exactly why I can see these women returning, they've been established without being tied to one characters story. Because of that I can see meeting them again and they reference this character named V that they new in a past life. Or maybe not but It'd be a waste not to, V's legend and building a rep in Night City was a focus in this story and the devs need to establish some continuity for Cyberpunk. I don't believe they'll just keep rebooting every game. Night City remembers those that left their mark

you could have sex with almost every woman but there was no "sex scenes" only there was a card given to you with a naked or almost naked woman.
This, is one of the best parts in W1. I played W1 for many times and can hardly remember Triss. But I do remember that woman from the first chapter, and that fine line. A game don't need loads of sex scenes of bunch of complicated romance dialogues to make player remember a NPC, all it needs is a fine art workpiece and a fine line.

There is no "romance" in The Witcher, unlike in TW3 where Geralt ends up with either Yenn, Triss or neither. In the first game it's just a card collection indicating how many women you've bedded in the game. There is no romantic banter with Triss/Shani unlike TW3 where it is a bit more developed, and where in B&W your beau stays with you in Corvo Bianco.

Top Bottom