Release date announced for The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt GOTY Edition

+
Are you able to divulge whether or not the incoming patch will contain anything more than small bug fixes? Anything story or gameplay related?

From what I have read, new content looks unlikely, but I would not rule out a few tweaks to the UI and/or gameplay. Basically, what one could expect from a relatively large patch like 1.07.

People saying the game is already an EE, I really can't agree with you. There's always room for improvement. While the patches did indeed add and fix a lot, the total changes are still below what W1 and W2 got in their EE's.

With the two expansions included, TW3: GOTY edition actually adds more compared to TW3 1.01 (from 19th May 2015) than the enhanced editions of the previous games did to their original releases.

With the two expansions included, TW3: GOTY edition actually adds more compared to TW3 1.01 (from 19th May 2015) than the enhanced editions of the previous games did to their original releases.

While it is true the game in patch 1.22 is vastly superior than the release version, the content it adds is separate content that does not add to the main storyline, a big difference, mind you, I am not saying it is bad to have the expansions bundled together with the main game, but the "added content" is different than the previous ones.

The save files on consoles won't be compatible between different game versions (GOTY vs regular version) as they are treated by systems as separate products. This is something that's not up to us. Sorry.
Don't make excuse. Bloodborne save files can be used in both regular version and GOTY edition. Why not Witcher 3??

Last edited:
I vote for the patched gwent with alternate textures like in the collector's retail boxes of expansions. Patched means the right number of the cards with the same name.

I already pre-ordered it at the store I usually buy games here. It's so weird to see that the wall where it used to have some 90% PC games and 10% console games has now 99% Console and 1% PC games. I'll buy it, physical edition, despite anything. I already have the game, 4 DVD's Box (3 game disks, 1 soundtrack disk) and both expansions (expansion pass sale long before their release) but hey, I'm a sucker for CDPR stuff and TW games since I first played TW1 EE back in 2008.

I really wouldn't mind if the GOTY edition has something extra, the 5th Gwent deck (yeah, I bought the 4 regular decks already) but I'll keep and treasure it for the next generations. Someday, perhaps, those being born nowadays in my family will have the chance to play it. Hope you guys don't shut the door closed for The Witcher for good. In a couple of years or more, an EE might really bring it livelier than ever in the gaming market. I love what the EE and Dark Mode did for TW2. EE was kind of a ™ of CDPR for TW games. Tradition is something to be valued! =))

Last edited:
I already pre-ordered it at the store. I already have the game, 4 DVD's Box (3 game disks, 1 soundtrack disk) and both expansions (expansion pass sale long before their release) but hey, I'm a sucker for CDPR stuff and TW games since I first played TW1 EE back in 2008.

I really wouldn't mind if the GOTY edition has something extra, the 5th Gwent deck (yeah, I bought the 4 regular decks already) but I'll keep and treasure it for the next generations.

@RageGT, man and there is hunger and pure drinking water shortage in Africa. Good on ya mate. We're happy you're so loyal to CDPR. Keep it up and you'll be generously rewarded.

I wonder if there will be any new extras ? According to SteamDB, the GOTY edition will apparently include 5.03 GB of extras, while the original game has 4.16 GB (art pack) + 163.77 MB (HoS and BaW extras). That adds up to less than what is in the GOTY edition, although I might have missed something, or it could be packaged differently (do the free DLCs now count as extras ?), or include stuff that was previously only on GOG. Anyway, we'll see it soon.

While it is true the game in patch 1.22 is vastly superior than the release version, the content it adds is separate content that does not add to the main storyline, a big difference, mind you, I am not saying it is bad to have the expansions bundled together with the main game, but the "added content" is different than the previous ones.

Even in the previous EEs, the majority of the new content was not main quests: fan made adventures in TW1, and the two new side quests in Chapter 3 of TW2. The latter did add some new cutscenes, but they are not really story changers.

Don't make excuse. Bloodborne save files can be used in both regular version and GOTY edition. Why not Witcher 3??

The GOTY edition was made a "new" game so that it can include all the DLCs in one package, rather than as separate downloads like they will remain in the original version. But that decision means that for example on Steam the GOTY edition will have a new AppID, a new community hub, new cloud saves, achievements, and so on. And it is probably similar on the consoles, that is why the saves do not carry over; on PC, it is probably still possible to just copy the files. Perhaps it would have been possible to implement some kind of import feature, but I guess the GOTY edition is mainly for new players.

will I be able to play all content in the witcher 3 game of the year edition without internet on PS4

I know Hearts of Stone and Blood and whine is on the disc but I have no internet on my Playstation 4 and would like to know if I can play both expansions in the game of the year edition without having to go online? Maybe it requires some sort of online activation to play expansions? Just hope I can play The witcher 3 game of the year edition and all it's content on my PS4 even when I haven't got an internet connection

Even in the previous EEs, the majority of the new content was not main quests: fan made adventures in TW1, and the two new side quests in Chapter 3 of TW2. The latter did add some new cutscenes, but they are not really story changers.

But they did help fill in the blanks, which was badly needed, keep in mind I did not play vanilla Witcher 2 but I did see a playthrough of the final act of it, the EE really fixed it up.

will I be able to play all content in the witcher 3 game of the year edition without internet on PS4

I know Hearts of Stone and Blood and whine is on the disc but I have no internet on my Playstation 4 and would like to know if I can play both expansions in the game of the year edition without having to go online? Maybe it requires some sort of online activation to play expansions? Just hope I can play The witcher 3 game of the year edition and all it's content on my PS4 even when I haven't got an internet connection

I think you should be able to play it just fine. But just in case, maybe @Marcin Momot can confirm this.

From what I have read, new content looks unlikely, but I would not rule out a few tweaks to the UI and/or gameplay. Basically, what one could expect from a relatively large patch like 1.07.
Yep, that's why I've asked Marcin :)

You're comparing paid side content with getting the vanilla game right. Also, I'm not sure your ratio would hold up if we calculate vanilla content additions per dollar/manpower.
In either case, judging by your comments, it doesn't appear you quite grasp why people ask and what people expect from EE.

EE and GOTY are two separate entities, no need to get defensive about GOTY at all :)

Perhaps it would have been possible to implement some kind of import feature, but I guess the GOTY edition is mainly for new players.

We absolutely need an import feature !! GOTY versions are not only for new players but also for players disliking DLC and waiting for the game extensions on a blu-ray !!

Yes. Everything is on the disc. You won't need an internet connection to play it.

You're comparing paid side content with getting the vanilla game right. Also, I'm not sure your ratio would hold up if we calculate vanilla content additions per dollar/manpower.

The point is that after the GOTY edition, Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine will no longer be separate paid content, but rather an integral part of the game, and the whole package will probably be sold at a price similar to that of the base game from before the GOTY. So, it is indeed a fair comparison. On 19th May of 2015, you got the vanilla 1.01 version of the game for $60 (or whatever regional price), with no patches, DLCs, or expansions. Now you receive ~50% more content (in terms of voiced dialogue) and all the patches at the same cost if not less.

I can understand those who want major changes to the main story, but I do not think that would be realistic at this point, and the previous EEs did not do it either, at least not to a significant extent. Not to mention some of the alleged "flaws" in the game are subjective, perhaps the developers just had a different vision than those who are complaining ? Of course, the game is not perfect, and it will never be, but it is overall good enough, and they have to move on to other projects now.

Everything will be packed ON DISCS (most likely DVDs), but that doesn't mean it has to be ONE / 1 disc :)

On PC, yes. On consoles it'll be Blue-Ray. My question was a direct response to Marcin's reply about Internet connection requirement on PS4 to play DLCs. He also said:

Everything is on the disc

That's why it sounds like there'll be only one disc. But, yeah, you're right, it's not a given.

Top Bottom